My Cymbalta story by lundeliz

lundeliz

Sorry Omlett, I reread your post and see you have been tapering for two years. I tried

tapering Cymbalta for over two years, too, but didn't make it as far as you have.

Alto, thank you for the good wishes.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lundeliz

• Altostrata

• luv2knit

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck on the 1mg drop...I will be watching as I think of doing the same. The tinnitus stops me. I might have to do .5mgs though since I'm a big baby..lol

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

Hi Lundeliz,

Yesterday was my lowest point - I was crying to my 12 years old son - but I stick to the 5 beads. I can't imagine how those 5 bloody beads can causing such a havoc. I already tapered off of benzo four years ago and got AD to "help" with WD symptoms. Apparently it was a bad idea, but I was so desperate to get some sleep and put on some weight.

Well I did more than I wanted:(

After two years I realized Cymbalta don't do me any good and on the top of that give me side effects so I asked my P doc to taper me off. He gave me a super fast taper schedule (two weeks). I got all those nasty WD symptoms like brain zaps, panic, anxiety, diarrhea and so on. All in all i went back on Cymbalta and stabilized then I started my own taper and still doing it. Today actually I'm very well..working and in good mood.

My BP is a long story since my WD in tend to spike and when it does i get really anxious.

That's it for now. Hope you well today.

1995-2008 Low dose of Klonopin

2008/09 Tolerance WD

2009/01 C/T of Klonopin

2009/3 30 mg Mirtazepin

2010/03 switch 60 mg Lexapro

2011/3 switch 60mg Cymbalta

2011/8 Quick taper of Cymbalta

2011/09 Back to 30 mg

2012/02 Start slow taper

2103/03 Medication free

• Administrator

omlett, please start a topic in this Introductions topic for yourself, we'll be happy to support you, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Glad you are having a better day, Omlett. I am having a not so good day. I so wish I knew if I should

go back up, go down, or stay put. I really want to do this right, but I can't figure out what right is.

I will stick this out, too. I guess with my up, down, and all around I will eventually get there. The

blood pressure really worries me though. Mine has gotten very scary high. How fast are you tapering now?

Take it easy. I hope the rest of the way goes well for you.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

Hi Lundeliz,

I'm sure we get there:)

As alto advised me I'm starting a topic and not stealing yours, but I will visit yours.

- O

2008/09 Tolerance WD

2009/01 C/T of Klonopin

2009/3 30 mg Mirtazepin

2011/09 Back to 30 mg

2012/02 Start slow taper

2103/03 Medication free

I stay on 5 beads for a while, no rush. I visited my doc in the morning, a week ago I had 24 hours blood pressure monitor fitted, and the result was fine. O don't even need medication.

Lundeliz taper off of meds can really mess up with BP. Hope yours stabilizes soon.

Have a good day

- O

2008/09 Tolerance WD

2009/01 C/T of Klonopin

2009/3 30 mg Mirtazepin

2011/09 Back to 30 mg

2012/02 Start slow taper

2103/03 Medication free

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I could really use some advice. I'm doing fairly well. Having some anxiety and stomach problems, but it's

all mostly bearable. Also having some pretty down days. I'm feeling like I have made such a mess of getting off

these meds. It has been almost 9 months since I switched from Cymbalta to Celexa. Cymbalta had become almost impossible

to taper any further. But I have been in a fog ever since the switch. Could it be effects from quitting Cymbalta, or

is it that Celexa just doesn't agree with me? I've never felt stable on the Celexa. Should I hold for a very long time

to see if I stabilize, or not prolong staying on the Celexa any longer than necessary? What would give me the better chance

of getting my life back, because right now I'm feeling like that's not going to happen. I realize nobody knows for sure

but I would appreciate just any comments. Thanks.

• Administrator

Some people find Celexa makes them drowsy.

How about reducing by a very small amount, maybe .5mg, and see how you feel?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alto, I did make a small decrease in dosage. I couldn't notice any change in symptoms.

My stomach seems to be getting worse. It's not really pain, it's burning and gnawing and

feeling tied in knots. The nausea is not so bad right now. I'm feeling anxious and agitated

all of the time. I'm trying to resist the temptation to taper faster. Since my symptoms never

stabilize I guess I will continue to make small decreases in dosage every few weeks, and hope

for the best. Is that a good plan? Do you think I held long enough after making the huge

drop? I honestly can see no pattern to my symptoms. Except after the big drop, I had some

improvement in some symptoms. Thanks for being here.

• Administrator

I'd do a .5mg decrease every 2 weeks. I suspect you've had an allergic reaction to Celexa.

Thank you so much, Alto. That is my thinking too. But it's so nice to get your opinion.

That's what I will do. But just because I'm having reaction to Celexa, I will still have

withdrawal also, isn't that right? I feel very relieved to at least have a plan. Thank you

so much for always being here.

Good Luck Liz...I'll be keeping up with you..

Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.

Thank you, Flower. We've gotta be cheerleaders for each other. You'll

be right behind me with your taper. Here we go.

• Administrator

Having an adverse reaction to the drug and having to taper to avoid withdrawal is a difficult balancing act.

See how you do with 2-week decreases.

You are right Liz. We can do this.

Is there any way whatsoever to distinguish between withdrawal symptoms and side effects? I am feeling

so very sick. I am on 9mg citalopram(I dropped .5mg almost 2 weeks ago.) I have a horrible headache,

my legs are killing me, my vision is very blurry. My whole body feels tensed up. I'm having the face flushing

again, no sweating, just hot. My bp is up tonight. I'm so scared to do anything for fear of making things worse.

Could 9mg of citalopram actually make someone this sick if you are sensitive to it or allergic? I feel so scared.

• Moderator Emeritus

Is there any way whatsoever to distinguish between withdrawal symptoms and side effects? I am feeling so very sick. I am on 9mg citalopram(I dropped .5mg almost 2 weeks ago.) I have a horrible headache, my legs are killing me, my vision is very blurry. My whole body feels tensed up. I'm having the face flushing again, no sweating, just hot. My bp is up tonight. I'm so scared to do anything for fear of making things worse.

Could 9mg of citalopram actually make someone this sick if you are sensitive to it or allergic? I feel so scared.

Hi Lunde.. I think everything you list can be withdrawal. I'm so sorry you are being hit by all this.. it sounds absolutely awful. The main AD contingent in the states will be along shortly, and they will know more but what you detail above fits the WD profile. I hope you managed to get some sleep after you posted your message.

Skyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Did the symptoms get better, worse, or the same since you decreased, lundeliz?

Thank you for the support, Skyler. I appreciate it. I looked at my journal, Alto. The only difference after the drop

that I can see is I had some minor diarrhea after the drop. Since Monday, 10 days after the .5mg drop, I have had a really

bad headache and leg ache, facial flushing and extreme fatigue. I know I will get through it. I just feel desperate sometimes,

trying to figure it out. I appreciate your support very much.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the support, Skyler. I appreciate it. I looked at my journal, Alto. The only difference after the drop

that I can see is I had some minor diarrhea after the drop. Since Monday, 10 days after the .5mg drop, I have had a really

bad headache and leg ache, facial flushing and extreme fatigue. I know I will get through it. I just feel desperate sometimes,

trying to figure it out. I appreciate your support very much.

You are most welcome Lunde.. I've been following your posts for some time, and in all honestly, don't know I'd be doing as well as you are in the circumstances. All things considered, you have been most patient. Headaches and facial flushing, symptoms that are in your head are very difficult to put aside. Not think about.. and what have we when there is so much hurt but to try to make sense of the whole painful conundrum. Wish I could help more, but I will keep watching for word from you. All the best.. very good thoughts your way.

I'm sure Alto will have more feedback when she comes back on.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

It seems you felt better after the drop from 24mg to 10mg December 7.

My guess is that decreasing is the way to go.

Thank you both. I will carry on!

• Administrator

Since it seems you might become sensitized 10 days after a drop, I'd figure on decreasing every 9 days.

It does seem that way, Alto. Do you think I can get away with tapering

that often? I guess there's only one way to find out, right? Thank you

so much for your guidance. I would be totally lost.

• Administrator

If you feel better after a reduction, it's an indication you're going in the right direction.

• 1 month later...

Hi. Just giving a little update. Still struggling to figure out what I need to do all the time. Reduce or hold?

I'm at 7.5mg now. Having really bad headaches, blurry vision, very weak and tired. But little by little I'm chipping

away at the Celexa and trying to keep my eye on the prize, being Celexa free.

• Administrator

Good to hear from you, L. How are the rashes, diarrhea, etc.? How long have you been at 7.5mg?

Hi Alto, I've dropped to 7.5mg on April 2. No more rashes, and diarrhea has gotten

better in just the last few days. Anxiety has been better, too, just hits me

occasionally. Well, seeing it on paper, it sounds like I'm feeling better. :)

So maybe I really am better and just can't realize it yet!

• Administrator

Thank goodness! Sounds like decreases are the way to go. You'll pull through this.

Thank you for saying that. I still really need to hear it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alto, I've dropped to 7.5mg on April 2. No more rashes, and diarrhea has gotten

better in just the last few days. Anxiety has been better, too, just hits me

occasionally. Well, seeing it on paper, it sounds like I'm feeling better. :)

So maybe I really am better and just can't realize it yet!

Many times it's difficult to see our own progress. It just seems so horridly slow from the inside looking out. I found that my intro thread, used like a journal, has been very helpful in seeing how far I've come.

There are no magical, overnight cures, but you do definitely seem to be getting better. Hang in there, girl. These awful drugs can be overcome in time.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thank you, Jemima! I appreciate the words of encouragement very much!

I have a question about dosing. Because my headaches have gotten very bad, I was wondering

about splitting the dose. When I reinstated Cymbalta, I had very bad headaches. I started splitting

my dose, taking it twice daily and it helped a lot. It seems a little silly I know to split 7.5mg

into two doses, but if it might help I would like to try. My blood pressure is also high again and I'm

feeling out of breath. Is there any reason why I should not try splitting the dose? I would appreciate

any input or opinions. Thanks!

• Administrator

Sure, split it if you think it would help. It's such a small dose, it might be hitting your system hard when you take it, raising your blood pressure, and then leaving your body quickly, causing other symptoms.

Thank you Alto, it's worth a try I think.