Peter: Mirtazipine withdrawal

Peter

I am 65 and was prescribed Mirtazipine 2.5 years ago for severe stress/anxiety as a result of continued work and business pressures.

7.5mg for 9 months although was prescribed 15mg at first but couldn’t stand the feeling it generated.
Stopped taking cold turkey after life crisis over - sold business. Intolerable anxiety and insomnia for about a month after stopping. Reinstated to 3.5mg after that month. Remained on 3.5 mg for 6 months.
Stopped taking cold turkey. Intolerable symptoms as before - tolerated for about 3 weeks. Reinstated at 1.85mg approx ie 1/8 tablet - symptoms just tolerable. About 4 weeks to 1/16 tablet then after another 4 weeks 1/32 tablet then as it impossible to get a consistent dose stopped taking altogether.
Now 4 months clear but still suffering terrible sleep problems with nervous/anxiety attacks every time I drop off to sleep - about every 2 hours.
Currently getting about 4 hours disrupted sleep a night. Usually up between 3am to 4am and meditate - has taught me how to let the symptoms wash over me.
Daytime now not too bad provide I keep occupied and have plenty of fresh air and exercise - but so tired. Still have bouts of severe anxiety although there is no obvious cause. Booze is a no no - even one beer seems to exaggerate the symptoms to intolerable levels and further disrupts sleep.
I have lost my trust in GPs and do wonder whether they really know what they are talking about regards these sorts of issue and the drugs they prescribe. I prefer to go it alone.
Really now just wonder how long I can expect these sleep and anxiety issues to resolve themselves.

Resources I have used:

Claire Weekes: self help for your nerves 

Anxiety Coaches Podcast by Gina Ryan

Headspace app

Rewire your Anxious Brain

65yrs old - prescribed Mirtazipine 2.5 years ago. 7.5mg for 9 months. Intolerable anxiety and insomnia for about a month after stopping. Reinstated to 3.5mg after that month. Remained on 3.5 mg for 6 months. Stopped taking cold turkey. Intolerable symptoms. 3months gradually reducing to zero.Now 4 months clear but still sleep problems with nervous/anxiety attacks every time I drop off to sleep - about every 2 hours.

peter

• Altostrata changed the title to Peter Mirtazipine Withdrawal
  • Administrator

Welcome, Peter.

You have withdrawal syndrome from mirtazapine. Rebound insomnia is common. You might reinstate 1mg; this topic explains how to measure a small dose Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine) You'd stabilize on that for a month or more, then taper off by tiny amounts. See

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

You might also find these topics helpful:

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

Please let us know how you're doing.

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s seventeen weeks now since complete withdrawal from Mirtazipine. I was hoping that my disruptive sleep pattern would have started to stabilise but I am still finding I fall asleep for 2-3 hours only to awaken with a start with pounding anxiety symptoms. I still find my best policy is to get up and sit quietly and “watch” the symptoms “with curiosity” as my meditation practise advises. It does make one’s waking life quite challenging - tiredness and constant stress symptoms are difficult to cope with. I have to remind myself to take one day at a time, one hour at a time etc.

The question that I often pose to myself is how much are the symptoms as a result of the withdrawal process as opposed to being a “defect” in me? After 17 weeks one would think that the body would have self corrected but then I have read somewhere that any psychological trauma takes at least 6 months to recover from and that is with no psych drugs involved.

I am very reluctant to reinstate 1mg of Mirt  as the last 6 months have been at times intolerable and I would not want to have to go through that again - everyday that passes is one day nearer to complete recovery and I suppose all this does teach you stress coping strategies.

I think one of the most challenging things is coping with one’s social life. When one breaks a leg or has a knee replacement (I’ve had both) people are very sympathetic, kind and helpful but with “mental” and “psychological” conditions that understanding is not there - or so I fear - there is great stigma attached to mental ill health. I have become an expert in acting as though I am OK which frankly is quite stressful!

That’s all for now. Fingers crossed that this wretched sleep disruption resolved itself sometime soon.

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

65yrs old - prescribed Mirtazipine 2.5 years ago. 7.5mg for 9 months. Intolerable anxiety and insomnia for about a month after stopping. Reinstated to 3.5mg after that month. Remained on 3.5 mg for 6 months. Stopped taking cold turkey. Intolerable symptoms. 3months gradually reducing to zero.Now 4 months clear but still sleep problems with nervous/anxiety attacks every time I drop off to sleep - about every 2 hours.

peter

• ChessieCat changed the title to Peter: Mirtazipine withdrawal
  • Administrator

Peter, that is a typical pattern of mirtazapine withdrawal syndrome. Withdrawal syndrome is not a psychiatric condition, it is an adverse drug reaction.

Please read my post and all the links in it

Reinstatement is up to you. A very small amount could alleviate your sleeplessness. You would taper off by very tiny amounts later.

But if you find your symptoms are tolerable and gradually improving, you might want to let time and healing take its course. Be patient, could take months.

You might want to examine your embrace of high negativity towards your own mental balance.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Peter, it's not you - I don't believe you have a "defect" - many people have experienced anxiety and insomnia from mirtazapine withdrawal.  It sounds like you have some great coping tools in your toolkit already which should be very helpful in your recovery process.  You might also find relaxation exercises helpful.  They are great for calming the nervous system, helping to reduce anxiety and encouraging sleep.  For example: progressive muscle relaxation, gentle yoga, calming breathing exercises, meditation, guided visualisation, etc.  I like to use recordings with gentle music and an instructor's voice telling me what to do so I don't have to think about it.  I have also used sleep CDs to help me fall asleep.  You could try a few things out to see what works for you.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Hi Songbird

Thanks for the advice and tips - I’ll certainly give them a try

Peter

peter

Hi Altostrata

Your comments are very reassuring - thank you

Peter

peter

• 1 month later...

I had been feeling much much better and was quite optimistic that things would continue to improve. Then just four days before the 6 months after a good previous few days and feeling that my sleep had returned almost to normal, quite unexpectedly my severe “stress” symptoms flared up at 1:30am when I awoke in an acutely anxious state. I felt that I had gone back to square one with severe “anxiety” and “depression” and dreadfully disrupted sleep for no apparent reason. I am still feeling rather fragile four days later but the intensity of the symptoms has now after four days  ebbed somewhat.

Is this something like the 10 month wave that is talked about in the “How long is this going to take” essay on this site?

peter

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Peter,

Definitely something like that.  We talk about windows and waves here a lot too. The windows and waves pattern of stabilization.  There's a link to that particular topic in your first post from Altostrata.

This is your main introduction/journal page.  I merged your question back here, as we like to keep each member to just one introduction.  Feel free to add to discussions anywhere but try to ask questions pertaining to your situation right here.

It looks like you've been navigating around a bit.......that's great!

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 months later...

I am about 9 months of Mirtazipine and I thought I was doing quite well and had gone through the worst. I was beginning to feel normal again. The last three weeks have been very challenging with even more disrupted sleep awakening every hours or so with nervous system going wild (anxiety but it’s not anxiety if you know what I mean) and bad “anxiety” symptoms during the day again with the nervous system going haywire. I feel very distressed and exhausted. 

Any advice or reassurance would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Peter

peter

• Administrator

Hello, Peter, I joined your post to your existing Intro topic, to continue your case history.

It sounds like you may be sleeping more deeply and, paradoxically, your nervous system is jumpy about that, sounding an alarm. You might find playing some gentle music, such as meditation music or trance music, throughout the night helps with this. It can keep your nervous system just enough awake so you can sleep. After a bit, it will get used to increased relaxation.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure what to do. I have been 9 months off Mirtazipine and for the last 3 weeks my anxiety has gone through the roof and has become debilitating and the insomnia and fragmented sleep continues. Not sure whether this is still withdrawal syndrome or a reoccurrence of my original condition. Should I reinstate and at what level? Don’t know what to do for the best.

peter

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you see Alto's previous response?

On 10/16/2018 at 6:26 AM, Altostrata said:

I joined your post to your existing Intro topic, to continue your case history.

And I've joined the new topic to your Intro.

This is the place to ask questions about your own situation and where you can journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Chessie

Yes I did receive Alto’s response. I was on holiday in Portugal and all I could find at the time was Magnesium-OK which has 145mg Magnesium + 8mg Zinc + Mangnesese 2mg, Selenium 25micrograms, B1, B2 and B6 .

I have been taking now for 27 days.

The only fish oil I could get were 1000mg Salmon Oil capsules - taking 2/day for 6 days now. There is only 360mg EPA and 240mg of DHA per capsule though.

I thought being on holiday would improve things as where we go is quiet and peaceful and we can play our favourite games tennis and golf and swimming but appear to have become worse.

Back in the UK now so will try to get the correct strengths.

Any other insights that may ease my suffering?

Thanks again

PS I meditate daily and do Progressive Muscle Relaxation but nothing seems to help

peter

• Moderator Emeritus

Vitamin B6 can be activating.  hypersensitive-to-b-vitamin-or-b-vitamin-complex

Even good stress can increase withdrawal symptoms.  It might take a few weeks for things to settle down.  I had a helicopter flying lesson for my birthday last year and my anxiety increased for several weeks afterwards.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Is it withdrawal or relapse?  Or something else?

How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator
On 10/15/2018 at 12:26 PM, Altostrata said:

It sounds like you may be sleeping more deeply and, paradoxically, your nervous system is jumpy about that, sounding an alarm. You might find playing some gentle music, such as meditation music or trance music, throughout the night helps with this. It can keep your nervous system just enough awake so you can sleep. After a bit, it will get used to increased relaxation.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. Things don’t seem to be improving -.sleep still fragmented  - in fact even when asleep it doesn’t feel like sleep. Anxiety levels through the roof at times.  I feel so fragile despite the new supplement regime of Omega 3s and Magnesium started just over 2 weeks ago.

Would reinstating at a lower level be still an option or will this instability settle soon? The last month has been brutal at times - is this still Mirtazipine withdrawal despite being free of it for some 9 months now?

peter

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Peter, 

To answer your question, yes, this can be withdrawal despite being free of it for 9 months.  Withdrawal for some people can last years.  My insomnia was so bad at times, I thought I was going to die.  In fact, I think I logged onto this forum and asked if it was possible to die from insomnia because I frequently went over 30 hours without sleep.  My insomnia problems lasted well over a year.

I realize you are suffering badly, but it also sounds to me like you are comparatively doing rather well compared to other people in withdrawal, and, hopefully, that can give you some solace.  Anxiety notwithstanding, if you are physically able to travel, then that is a hugely hopeful sign for achieving stability.  

May I ask: Is your anxiety now better, worse, or the same as before you took meds?  

In my opinion, if anxiety has come back worse after meds and is accompanied by new physical symptoms that you didn't experience before meds, then it's a clue that what you are having is likely withdrawal and not likely a recurrence of the original anxiety.  If your anxiety is about comparable to what it was before meds and not accompanied by any new physical symptoms, then it's possibly a return of original anxiety.  In a nutshell, if something didn't exist before meds, then it was probably caused by meds.     

Also in my opinion, perhaps a "less is more" approach would be best for vitamin supplements.  After psych meds, not very many people do well with supplements, and they definitely don't do well with a zillion supplements at once.  Maybe scale back a bit?

Please note that my input here is subjective, and I'm neither a doctor nor a site moderator.  I'm a survivor here offering opinions.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

How much and how often are you taking magnesium?  It works best if taken throughout the day, not only once a day.

Have you tried Alto's suggestion about playing music?

Are you following good sleep hygiene?  Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

• Administrator

Hi Peter:

How are you faring these last few weeks?  Hopefully, more good days and less bad nites.  Did you have anxiety issues before the rem started?  Withdrawal brings pre-anxiety back and then some. 

I have found some triggers that are the same when I tapered off Valium and now tapering off Rem.  I have to stay clear of violent or stressful TV or movies...anything that overstimulates the CNS.  Also, a high carb dinner ( I make sure I have more protein), and stuff with MSG in it. 

I hope you are well on your healing way...please stay in touch and let us know how you are feeling.

Best regards,

Shebon:)

Started 3.75 mg. remeron 4/2013.  Had tapered off benzo 4/2011.  Had tapered down to 1.87 mg remeron but mistakenly thought I was in bad withdrawals, when it was Synthroid again.  Stopped  Synthroid 3/31/3021-side effects are the same as hyperthyroid symptoms, but doctors have no knowledge of this side effect.  Started taper end of 7/2021, now at 3.48 mg. daily. 

• 2 years later...

@Peter how are you 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag