Skylark1980: Insomnia - Sertraline withdrawal or relapse?

Skylark1980

Hi Songbird, thank you so much for your reply.  Wow a whole week, you poor thing :(.  That's reassuring though that nothing awful happened though.  I use mindfulness mostly effectively during the day to manage my fearful thoughts but they are magnified in the night which is such a vicious circle, and so lonely - but you're helping me to see that this is a common experience.  That's why I'm starting therapy - to deal with these unhelpful thoughts. The insomnia definitely came first though, just out of nowhere without anxious thoughts, I just started having really disturbed nights and then the anxiety has fuelled it.

I've been trying to brisk walk and do yoga, it doesn't seem to have any effect on whether I sleep or not (I am keeping a diary).  I seem to have 3 - 4 better nights and then a random awful one of no sleep.  Even on the good nights I wake several times but a guided meditation is enough to send me back off quite quickly.

I took a temazepam 10mg in the end last night as I got so anxious by midnight and my son was screaming a lot (my husband was on duty thank goodness) and finally got an unbroken sleep.  I only use these if desperate (once a week absolute max & usually less).  Now that I know people can go for days without sleep, I'll hopefully panic less about it and need them less too.  I feel so much stronger today though, just that little respite is enough to keep me going for a few more days....

The more I read other people's posts and long lists of symptoms, the more I think that mine is now mainly psychological now.

How long has your insomnia lasted (I see you've tapered several times)?  I hope it's gradually got better....

2008 - Citalopram 10mg  ('situational anxiety' due to life circumstances) Tapered after 6 months, no withdrawals

2014 - Sertraline 50mg (post-natal insomnia) Tapered after 6 months (taper took 4 months) no withdrawals 

Nov 2016 - Nov 17 Sertraline 50 mg  (post-natal insomnia) Tapered after 1 year (taper took 4 months, finished in March 18).  Insomnia, anxiety, brain fog 1 month after finishing taper.  Continuing in waves....

Supplements: Magnesium, multivitamin

22 minutes ago, Skylark1980 said:

Hi Songbird, thank you so much for your reply.  Wow a whole week, you poor thing :(.  That's reassuring though that nothing awful happened though.  I use mindfulness mostly effectively during the day to manage my fearful thoughts but they are magnified in the night which is such a vicious circle, and so lonely - but you're helping me to see that this is a common experience.  That's why I'm starting therapy - to deal with these unhelpful thoughts. The insomnia definitely came first though, just out of nowhere without anxious thoughts, I just started having really disturbed nights and then the anxiety has fuelled it.

I've been trying to brisk walk and do yoga, it doesn't seem to have any effect on whether I sleep or not (I am keeping a diary).  I seem to have 3 - 4 better nights and then a random awful one of no sleep.  Even on the good nights I wake several times but a guided meditation is enough to send me back off quite quickly.

I took a temazepam 10mg in the end last night as I got so anxious by midnight and my son was screaming a lot (my husband was on duty thank goodness) and finally got an unbroken sleep.  I only use these if desperate (once a week absolute max & usually less).  Now that I know people can go for days without sleep, I'll hopefully panic less about it and need them less too.  I feel so much stronger today though, just that little respite is enough to keep me going for a few more days....

The more I read other people's posts and long lists of symptoms, the more I think that mine is now mainly psychological now.

How long has your insomnia lasted (I see you've tapered several times)?  I hope it's gradually got better....

try lavender oil, I get a cotton wool pad that women use for makeup and put lots of drops of lavender oil on it so it is soaking wet, I place it inside my pillow case close to where my nose is, also been using this sleep lotion which is quite good: https://uk.lush.com/products/lavender/sleepy

if you sleeping quite good for 3 - 4 nights then this is a good sign

take care

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

Thanks dj! Weirdly a friend recommended that same lotion yesterday.  I'll try the lavender too.  

How's your sleep?  Have you gone whole nights without any too? Yes, reading around on this site makes me grateful that I'm getting some reasonable nights at least....  

This site is such an eye opener.  When I went on sertraline post-natally I was told half the mums in my town were on it - they are prescribed so easily.  There was no follow up and I had to request counselling myself.

1 hour ago, Songbird said:

Insomnia is an extremely common withdrawal symptom.  I once didn't sleep for a whole week, and I was worried I would start hallucinating or go crazy, but I didn't.  I think my brain started to micro-sleep.  Then I started doing relaxation exercises, and using a sleep hypnosis CD, replaying it every time I woke up.

Songbird - how did you cope with no sleep for a week? Were you off work? Did you have support?  I have small children which is hard but in some ways I guess it's helpful to keep me functioning and in a routine.  My husband commutes so is away long hours but luckily he's supportive when he's around.

Thank so both so much - the fear around sleep is hard (probably harder the actual lack of sleep) xx

2008 - Citalopram 10mg  ('situational anxiety' due to life circumstances) Tapered after 6 months, no withdrawals

2014 - Sertraline 50mg (post-natal insomnia) Tapered after 6 months (taper took 4 months) no withdrawals 

Nov 2016 - Nov 17 Sertraline 50 mg  (post-natal insomnia) Tapered after 1 year (taper took 4 months, finished in March 18).  Insomnia, anxiety, brain fog 1 month after finishing taper.  Continuing in waves....

48 minutes ago, Skylark1980 said:

Thanks dj! Weirdly a friend recommended that same lotion yesterday.  I'll try the lavender too.  

How's your sleep?  Have you gone whole nights without any too? Yes, reading around on this site makes me grateful that I'm getting some reasonable nights at least....  

This site is such an eye opener.  When I went on sertraline post-natally I was told half the mums in my town were on it - they are prescribed so easily.  There was no follow up and I had to request counselling myself.

Songbird - how did you cope with no sleep for a week? Were you off work? Did you have support?  I have small children which is hard but in some ways I guess it's helpful to keep me functioning and in a routine.  My husband commutes so is away long hours but luckily he's supportive when he's around.

Thank so both so much - the fear around sleep is hard (probably harder the actual lack of sleep) xx

hi skylark, sleeps been excellent over the last week since I stopped all supplements, only in the early months of withdrawal I would go with zero sleep, now if in for a very bad night I use melatonin or a anti-histamine,

yeh its disgusting how these pills are handed out like sweets, hopefully that will change soon

take care

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

Hi dj, so glad your sleep is better now - interesting about the supplements.  How long did your insomnia last and what were your waves like? 

Looking at your signature, and seeing how long you've been going through this, it's amazing that you've managed to start a family during this period! It was starting a family that really messed up my sleep in the first place.

1 hour ago, Skylark1980 said:

Hi dj, so glad your sleep is better now - interesting about the supplements.  How long did your insomnia last and what were your waves like? 

Looking at your signature, and seeing how long you've been going through this, it's amazing that you've managed to start a family during this period! It was starting a family that really messed up my sleep in the first place.

hi skylark, my sleep is still a issue now but much better than the early months, the worst of it lasted around 6 months, waves were bad and many times I was seriously thinking about reinstating due to desperation,

yes was medicated for 15 years but still lived quite normally, I started a family before trying to come off the pysch drugs when did not have any insomnia, problems only started a few years ago when trying to get off these poisons,

hope you have a good sleep tonight

Urgggh 6 months - poor you.  How much sleep would you get on an average night during those months? Or was it up and down like mine?  This has been going on for 3 months and it's hard work.

How did you keep going through the worst?  Do you nap when you get the chance? 

You must be excited after a week of excellent sleep!! 

Hi again, another bad night of about 3 hours (although I listened to yoga nidra relaxation track on a loop which at least meant I rested).  I've been checking my sleep diary and the brief stint of 6-7 hours per night seems to be about the best for the past month. It seems to have worsened over the past couple of weeks and 3-4 hours is about average, once a week I'm not getting any.  I feel like my mental state is starting to suffer (this has been going on for 3 months so far, and it's 4 months since I finished sertraline). 

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place as I don't know if this is withdrawal or just a re-emergence of the original problem (My sleep was similar after both babies and I just couldn't rebalance as I was up in the night with them too.)  I've always had a bit of underlying anxiety which I usually manage pretty well, but when sleep deprived everything seems so much worse.  I had occasional insomnia for the past 20 years but usually sleep really well. 

I feel like I'm clutching at straws (start ACT therapy tonight, acupuncture tomorrow...)  I have a stressful time coming up and don't feel I can cope.  I don't know if it's getting worse or if it's just the effect of sleep deprivation making me more pessimistic.  

I really don't want to reinstate, especially as advice varies so widely on dosage, but I just feel lost at the moment.  Looking at the diary, the over-the-counter antihistamine type meds have helped a bit so I might add those back in, but I feel exhausted and at the end of my tether this morning.  On the other hand, I have already got through 3 months of this and if I didn't feel I was slipping and I knew the end was in sight, I'd probably be able to keep going.

To add to the anxiety, my in-laws arrive from Australia on Friday for 5 weeks.  In theory this is good as I'll get more help with the kids, but I find them difficult and they certainly aren't the sort of people to understand mental health issues so I feel I'll have to hide how bad I feel...

Please could someone send me a link to accurate digital scales I can get in the UK?   I don't want to make a rash decision when so tired so just thinking through options. I can't speak to my doctor until Monday but I do have some left over pills I could crush.... 

• 2 months later...

Hi Skylark, how are you doing now? I'm sorry to hear about the insomnia. It freaks me out sometimes because it's the only thing that hasn't affected me, yet all my other w/d symptoms are severe. I sleep deeply 8 or 9 hours a night though, which is my escape from all this - although I do smoke weed so that could be it too (not recommending, just noting). I saw you did Somatic Experiencing - I'm starting this tomorrow with a local lady who had some knowledge of withdrawal. I realised I really needed to address some of the trauma, not just from childhood/life in general, but from withdrawal itself and previous withdrawal experiences. Are you still doing SE? Hoping you're feeling a little better, you mothers doing this with kids are all saints. Honestly. 

2008-2013 - Various meds on and off since age 18 incl. Sertraline, Prozac, Mirtazipine, Abilify. Prescribed for severe OCD.

CT'd several times over these years and reinstated after subsequent psych hospitalisations.

2014-2015 - Clomipramine, quetiapine and Epilum

2015-Jan 2017 - Prozac 40mg (stopped contraceptive pill, most stable period of time)

(Beginning of taper) Jan-October 2017 - Tapered Prozac to zero.

15 Jan 2018 - Reinstated Prozac at 2mg due to acute w/d symptoms

February 2018 - tapered to 1.8mg

May 2018 - reinstated at 5mg due to severe w/d symptoms. 9 month hold, stabilized well at around 6/7 months.

March 2019 - Tapered to 4.9mg

Current supplements: fish oils, probiotic, ashwaganda, colostrum powder, cannabis

Hi Abby, 

I ended up reinstating at a low dose as I had several nights of either no sleep at all or only about 2 hours and couldn't function well enough to look after my family.  I am sleeping so much better and feeling better in general. I'm holding for now but exploring other ways of dealing with underlying stuff now I have some energy back.

I'm still having Somatic Experiencing because I don't want to just mask my symptoms with medication (still don't know if it was a relapse or withdrawal although I now realise I could have come off more slowly).  I'm finding SE really helpful - actually had I one earlier today and had quite a release (I have a lot of stored stuff from childhood/bereavement).  So far it has been a really safe way to address physical feelings and emotions, rather than just stay stuck in the head and talk about it - which for me has always been a distraction.  

I'm glad the lady you're going to be seeing has some experience of withdrawals - it's a very gentle approach and there's a lot of work with feeling safe before going too deeply into anything too painful.

Hope it goes well! x