Has anyone felt "heart zaps"?

SupahSet

I really don't know how to explain this one other than it feels kind of like a brainzap but I felt it on my heart area of the chest.

I went to sleep last night and had a nightmare around 2am. Cortisol spiked and I jolted awake with this "heart zap" that lingered for a few seconds after waking up, then I had a racing heart for a minute or so, then was able to fall back asleep.

I was even so scared / panicked that I felt a little disoriented while that shock lasted, maybe a tiny dizzy, that I said my wifes name out loud to wake her up and get her attention.

I went to the cardiologist a few weeks ago and did a stress test on the treadmill and a 48 hour heart monitor and the cardiologist says I'm very healthy with no heart issues.

I'm walking for an hour or 90 minutes almost every day and eating healthy. Is this just another side effect from withdrawal? Should I talk to my primary care? Talk to the cardiologist again? Both of them are very understanding and accepting of SSRI withdrawawl and it's realness.

I just dont know what to do, because I dont want to be the guy that cries wolf every new symptom, and I've visited the doctor and cardiologist so many times in the past 3 months.

Any help is appreciated thank you.

Took 10mg Lexapro daily from March 16th, 2018 to April 10th, 2018 (about 3 weeks).

Stopped taking Lexapro cold turkey on April 10th, 2018.

Have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms since a week after stopping (symptoms since April 17th, 2018)

Symptoms since stopping, that I did NOT have before or while taking Lexapro include: Dizziness, nausea, loss of appetite, brain fog, brain zaps, head pressure, eye pressure,  fatigue, severe anxiety, panic attacks, jolting awake when I catch myself falling asleep, heart palpitations, night sweats, and head aches.

Things I am currently taking: CBD oil drops twice daily (4mg CBD with 0.3% THC content each dose), fish oil 2 to 3 times daily, magnesium, vitamin b complex

I had that for months!  I never had brain zaps, but zaps to my heart like an enormous shot of adrenaline.  It's almost painful.  I'm glad you all ready know your heart is healthy.  Those zaps disturbed my sleep for many weeks.  

Have you put your doctors names into the list here?  Finding doctor who are even open yo the idea that AD WD is real!!  It seems so rare.  I'm sure other people would benefit from having their contact info.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

32 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

I had that for months!  I never had brain zaps, but zaps to my heart like an enormous shot of adrenaline.  It's almost painful.  I'm glad you all ready know your heart is healthy.  Those zaps disturbed my sleep for many weeks.  

Have you put your doctors names into the list here?  Finding doctor who are even open yo the idea that AD WD is real!!  It seems so rare.  I'm sure other people would benefit from having their contact info.

Rosetta

Did it feel like you were literally being tased in the chest? It's so scary to think of the possibility that it could have been something serious, but you just reassured me greatly. I didn't know other people experienced this.
I have some family friends that are in the medical field, and I gave them calls today to discuss this further, and they reassured me that since it was so short lived and that I was able to fall asleep after etc that it wasn't a serious cardiovascular issue.

I'll still be calling my primary care tomorrow morning when they open to make an appointment I think. Or atleast talk to her and see what she thinks.
I have mentioned her name in these forums before. She's in the St. Louis, Missouri area. If you are willing to travel here for a great primary care who understands withdrawals, please message me and I'll provide more information 🙂

Took 10mg Lexapro daily from March 16th, 2018 to April 10th, 2018 (about 3 weeks).

Have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms since a week after stopping (symptoms since April 17th, 2018)

Symptoms since stopping, that I did NOT have before or while taking Lexapro include: Dizziness, nausea, loss of appetite, brain fog, brain zaps, head pressure, eye pressure,  fatigue, severe anxiety, panic attacks, jolting awake when I catch myself falling asleep, heart palpitations, night sweats, and head aches.

Things I am currently taking: CBD oil drops twice daily (4mg CBD with 0.3% THC content each dose), fish oil 2 to 3 times daily, magnesium, vitamin b complex

• Moderator Emeritus

For some other topics use google and search:  survivingantidepressants.org heart

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@SupahSet. It felt like what I assume a mild heart attack might feel like (although I've never had a heart attack, and I've never been tased either.).  My heart would hurt like a sore muscle for hours afterward.  I think a cortisol spike is involved, but I don't know.  It's definitely like the feeling you get when you've almost had a car accident only more intense and without the pounding lasting as long.  It results in very strong fear.  Maybe there's a thread on it here.  I've never looked.  Strangely, going back to sleep wasn't too hard unless I started thinking about bad things, other scary things, death, etc.. Once it happened many times I learned to not feel to worried about the zap itself, but if I was in a deep wave that caused me to lie awake worrying anyway then being awakened by this zap was a real issue.  

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

@SupahSet Just checking in to see how you are doing. I have an appt with the dr you recommended. I'm looking forward to seeing her. Thank you for the recommendation. 

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Started Remeron 15mg August 15, 2017. Increased Remeron to 30mg October 4, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

Started weaning off of Remeron 30mg. Cut to 22.25mg January 11, 2018

Cut Remeron to 15mg January 18, 2018 Cut Remeron to 7.5mg January 25, 2018

Cut Remeron to 3.5mg January 30,2018. Stopped taking Remeron February 1, 2018

Currently taking: Fish Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit D, Progesterone,

Hormone Replacement Pellets-Estrogen Testosterone 

Thanks for reassuring me @Rosetta , you described it perfectly! It's comforting knowing that other people have had this symptom before. Luckily I haven't experienced it after that one incident.

@mirage Hey mirage! I'm doing alright. Haven't had another heart zap scare so thats nice. Overall, I just had a one or two day window this past week. I'm back in a wave, and of course its when I'm on my yearly vacation in Michigan with my wife and inlaws :(

Let me know how that DR appointment goes! I have high hopes for you. I'm glad you were able to get an appointment with her.

How have you been lately?

@SupahSetThank you for contacting me back. 

I'm sorry you are in the middle of a wave, especially, while being on vacation. My husband and I had a trip planned the first week of June but I was just too ill. We had to cancel. We rescheduled it for the first week of August. I'm going to make myself go. I guess I'm a little concerned about flying. Will the air pressure cause my dizziness to be worse? I guess at this point, does it really matter? We can't put ourselves in a bubble. We have to go on living life. Are you still having the dizziness? Are you windows getting longer and better? I still have quite bit of symptoms during my windows. Sometimes I don't even notice it was a window until a wave hits then I realize I was feeling a little better. I'm looking forward to having the windows be obvious so I can enjoy them and remember them. So, when a wave hits, I have truth, that it will pass. I have been in a wave since July 2nd with a smidge of windows here and there. This wave has been really rough! At times, I felt like I was back at the beginning of this journey and not 13 months into it. 

I did see your dr and she was wonderful. She was very genuine, kind and caring. She took a lot of time with me and was re-assuring that this all takes time. A lot of time. None of it clears up overnight. Thank you for her name. 

Hope you get relief soon and that you enjoy your vacation no matter. Safe travels.

God Bless

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

@mirage I'm not a doctor, so take this with a grain of salt, but all of our systems are caused by our nervous system being out of whack. It's "in our heads". I would hope that flying wouldn't interfere or make it worse. I have always been an uneasy flyer, and I haven't flown since all this started, but I'm also worried about how it will go. I have a small stash of prescription ativan (benzo) that I plan to use if I ever do fly just to make sure.

I'm excited to be on vacation, but it sucks that withdrawal is on my mind while I'm here and others are having fun. I stayed in the cabin until 11am this morning, and everyone was making jokes about me being hangover etc. I only had a few drinks last night so it wasn't a hangover and they dont know what I'm going through.

Anyways, I'm excited that you and your husband are going on vacation soon as well! If you're super worried about flying, maybe talk to the doctor about getting a quick release anxiety relief med like small dosage ativan or an even smaller dosage of xanax. I've heard that tiny doses of those actually temporarily relieve a lot of SSRI withdrawawls. Once again, not a doctor though so take that as you will.

I'm glad that you're so active in these forums, it seems like I've finally found a friend thats in this with me. A suffer buddy maybe lol.

I've been off the Lexapro for a tad over 3 months now, so I'm still a withdrawal baby. I think at this point not only are my windows and waves still too random to determine anything based on those, I fear that I also have new symptoms yet to experience based on other peoples stories.

As for dizziness, I do get some dizziness every now and then. It's always a mild dizziness though, nothing even close enough to make me fall down or anything. I also still get nausea, headaches, head pressure, jaw pressure / tightness, anxiety, brain zaps, body zaps all over, some mild panic attacks, muscle spasms, sleep issues, and more. A lot of those a re slowly improving though so I can tell I'm making progress.

Only time will tell I guess. Lets hope our next windows come soon.

🙂

@SupahSet Although you aren't a dr, I appreciate your opinion. I do have some Xanax. I just don't take it because I don't want to add another thing. This is already tough enough. Dr Fernandez did say to use it when I fly. My neurologist also recommended it for flying until I get through this journey. 

Yes, these entire symptoms are all caused by an, over active, nervous system. I keep telling myself that my brain is always trying to trick me so I should not believe it. Also, I have never had anxiety, ever. I am 53. Been married for 33 years and have had, and raised, 4 children. My husband and I became empty nesters in August. Sent that last, baby, off to college. We had a lot of travel plans and I was offered a new job that I was excited about taking. All, have been put on hold. I know this will be temporary and I will have gained a lot of things through this. From what I am learning, this is a matter of time and patience. 

I'm sorry you are taking some heat, while on vacation, for not feeling well. It is hard. Everyone knows I am sick but I do not discuss any specifics. I just have to put on the happy face and plug along. It is better for healing to not always be talking about these symptoms anyway. Fake it 'till you make it!

I have constant dizziness but I have never lost balance. It has gotten better but, it is my worst symptom. It stays with me 24/7. I'm having a feeling this is going to be my last symptom to go. I too, have head tension and it radiates into my jaws and, at times, creates a feeling of fullness in my ears. I know it is all muscle/nerve tension related because it gets worse when the anxiety ramps up or if I work out too hard. I'm trying to keep my days as normal as possible. Continuing to work out every day and I work part time. 

Stay positive and have faith. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy