Cole: Effexor XR to Prozac, final taper

Cole

Hey Guys, i am having a lot of trouble with the side effects of Effexor XR, after a failed withdrawal from the the drug last year after a fast taper, and consequent post acute withdrawal. I am down to the final 37.5 mg and just want to be done with it, i have had enough on these foul poisons, im prepared to come off any way possible following the 10% reduction a month rule. The problem is to this id have to import the immediate release version from overseas which is very costly, then start the slow process. I managed to see a psychiatrist, and had the advice to switch to Prozac, taking a 37.5 mg dosage of Effexor XR and halving a 20mg  pill of Prozac for 2 weeks to adjust the nervous system, then do a complete swap to just Prozac, 20 mg. I have been on the Efexor for 3.5 years, prior to that Citalipram 8 years in total, and am worried about introducing a new drug into my system. I know Prozac has a long shelf, half life, thus easier to taper from then Efexor, but just feel insecure i guess. If i could have any help or information, guidance from others that have tried this approach, that would be hugely appreciated.  I am here just like you, wanted to feel alive and happy again :)

Cole.robbo 🏊‍♂️🙂

• ChessieCat changed the title to Cole: Effexor XR to Prozac, final taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cole, welcome to SA.  I'm guessing you're from Auckland, New Zealand (not California)?  You might want to check out our New Zealand members topic.

Please create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and helps us see your situation easily without having to read from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example.  Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings.

Why did you switch from citalopram to venlafaxine?  Are you taking the brand Effexor XR or a generic venlafaxine (e.g. Enlafax)?  What side effects are you having?

You might find these topics helpful:

Tips for tapering off Effexor and Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

The Prozac switch or bridging with Prozac

Please post all your updates and questions about your situation here in your introduction topic, and we will try to help you as best we can.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

2005-2014/ Citalopram 40mg daily

2014 /mid year around July i ended up with severe depression while studying at University, a lot of things happened in a short space of time,

i was switched from Citalopram 40mg to Effexor XR 75mg, the original brand from Pfizer, i have never been able to take a generic version due to the severe

side effects experienced.

2014/2017/ Continued to take Efexor XR 75mg and then attempted to come off, taper to 0 mg due to horrendous advice from someone, i cant name. I was told to come off cold turkey after 13 years off SSRI use. I tapered off over 5 weeks, taking out the granules, reducing 25 % per week.

28/04/2017- 28/01/2018/ I suffered severe withdrawal syndrome, discontinuation syndrome as i now know it for around 9 months. No one could really tell me what was going on, doctors didn't believe me, i thought i was going crazy. I managed to stumble across this website and found the courage to re instate a low dose of effexor xr, 37.5 mg.

28/01/2018 until now, i have been on a low dose of 37.5 mg daily. I feel as though i have been severely traumatized by the experience, i feel stabilized somewhat but never the same after the ridiculously fast taper. I struggle cognitively, paranoia, brain zaps still, pain, crushing pain at the back of my head suffered daily, confusion, fatigue, you name it. I have been advised by a psychiatrist to switch to Prozac, by taking the Efexor xr capsule and taking half a pill of Prozac, then completely switching over to Prozac 20mg. If i feel ok, ill wean off Prozac over 10 months to a year using the 10% a month rule. I f anyone has tried this approach, or found this helpful when getting down to a low dose of Efexor id love to hear from you. I really just want to get of this poison and feel human again, ill do anything to make it happen. :)

Cole.robbo 🏊‍♂️🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm just wondering if anyone has switched from Effexor XR to fluxotene Prozac ? I've been on the branded form of Effexor for 4 years, and before that 8 years on celexia 40 mg, but due to a extremely fast taper of Effexor 75 mg last year, I reinstated 37.5 mg 6 months ago but the side effects have been brutal, suffering brain zaps, severe head pain, paranoia, confusion, daily. I'm currently converting to fluxotene now by taking a 37.5 mg capsule of Effexor plus half a tablet of fluxotene 10 mg. I'll do this for 2 weeks in total before dropping Effexor and switching to 20 mg Prozac. If anyone has tried this, or had any success switching to fluxotene I'd love to hear. Any support would be great thanks 😊

Cole.robbo 🏊‍♂️🙂

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved the above post from the New Zealand topic.  Your Intro topic is the place to ask questions about your own situation and where you can journal your progress.

There are many existing topics on this site.  Use the site search function or a search engine and include survivingantidepressants.org in your search term.

the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys i might need a hand creating all this signature, history stuff, doesnt seem to be working for me. I am back on Effexor XR now, branded version 37.5 mg. I am suffering alot with tinnitus, internal tremors, ridiculous anxiety levels and crushing migraine headaches on a daily basis. I am at a limb of what to do, but planning on importing the immediate release version of the drug and coming off at the 10 % per month rule depending on withdrawal symptoms. I pray that one day this chemical will be out of my body and i can live a normal life. I guess all we can do is fight and not give up, i wouldnt wish this suffering on my worst enemy. 

Cole.robbo 🏊‍♂️🙂

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is what we need:

Please include the following information.  Please be as accurate as possible about the dates and doses.  Please make it nice simple by following these instructions (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you).  Please update it whenever you make a change:

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

This link takes you straight to your own drug signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
33 minutes ago, Cole said:

but planning on importing the immediate release version of the drug

You will need to take this twice a day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 10/30/2018 at 3:43 PM, Cole said:

i might need a hand creating all this signature,

Are you accessing the site using a phone.  It is easier to create the signature on a desktop computer.