Mama2Orson: How do I handle anxiety that won't quit at times?

Mama2Orson

Month 5 since being totally off of Celexa and I have never experienced anxiety like I have this past month or so.  I have a 30 year history of being on antidepressants and even prior to going on them my main issue was always depression not anxiety.   Right now I am also dealing with a change in my physical health and the anxiety just exacerbates my physical symptoms and vice versa.  Any tips would be most appreciated for when I feel like I want to run out into the street screaming!  I do take the occasional clonazepam and wonder if this is a good idea or a bad idea.

I am so glad I found this site. :)

P.S.  I did taper slowly over a year but have since realized that I likely went too quickly from 5mg to 2.5mg to zero.  Unfortunately I couldn't find a compounding pharmacy so had to try and break the pills.  I do have a great psychiatrist and will be seeing her in a week.

- 1985 to 1986 - Imipramine for approx. 1 year, stopped cold turkey - 1987 to 1989 - various tricyclics including Sinequan, Desyrel

- 1989 started on Prozac and remained on for approx. 17 years --- stopped working and was tapered off and started on Celexa

- 2006 to August 1, 2018 - dosage as high as 40mg and then remained on 20mg for years 

- 2006 to present --- Clonazepam .5 mg as needed (no more prescription refills as of February 2018 but still have medication left and use      as needed (last took 1/2 tab of Clonazepam on January 1/18

-  September 2013 Seroquel 25mg daily for 3 months (temporarily subscribed due to event)

- March 2017 started slow taper off of Celexa and remained on 10mg for 8 months then started another taper May 2018 - August 1/18 Celexa completed stopped

Supplements

- probiotic (for women), Calcium with Magnesium, Vitamin D3, Livatone Plus --- all daily with periodic breaks re the Livatone plus

- December 27/18 - sublingual B12 and melatonin (3mg) at bedtime

- January 2/19 started on Magnesium (glycinate - 2 capsules) and Theanine (1 capsule)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Mama2Orson: How do I handle anxiety that won't quit at times?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Mama2Orson.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

You may benefit from a slight reinstatement of Celexa. It will only take a very, very small amount, as your nervous system has changed in that five month period of time and may be quite sensitive. For more, please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

How often are you taking clonazepam? Please note that clonazepam is a benzodiazepine (benzo) and you can become dependent on it in as little as 2 - 4 weeks, even with periodic use. Also, benzos are notorious for causing rebound anxiety and paradoxical symptoms, so some of your current anxiety may be coming from your off-and-on benzo use. 

For more information on withdrawal, please see:

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

You may find some helpful information to handle your symptoms here: 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Guided meditations, breathing techniques, and other soothing coping skills can help you get through the crisis states instead of taking a benzo. 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Kindly set up a signature so moderators can easily see where you're at in your taper: 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please use this thread to document your benzo withdrawal and to ask plenty of questions. As you provide more information (such as the frequency of use for the benzo and your symptoms) whe can better guide you going forward. 

Thank you Shep.  I've been seeing the same psychiatrist for many years and she had prescribed the clonazepam.  What I am using right now is from an old prescription as she stopped prescribing it when the plan was to eventually taper off the Celexa.  I do not have concerns around the addiction component as through the years I really have only used it sparingly but totally understand that I should avoid it now due to the current extreme sensitivity of my CNS.   And I will definitely speak to my psychiatrist about a possible reinstatement of the Celexa.  I have been reading through many of the information sites you have listed above and they have been very helpful!

I will work on adding a signature with my medication and supplement history.  Again, thank you.

- 1985 to 1986 - Imipramine for approx. 1 year, stopped cold turkey - 1987 to 1989 - various tricyclics including Sinequan, Desyrel

- 1989 started on Prozac and remained on for approx. 17 years --- stopped working and was tapered off and started on Celexa

- 2006 to August 1, 2018 - dosage as high as 40mg and then remained on 20mg for years 

- 2006 to present --- Clonazepam .5 mg as needed (no more prescription refills as of February 2018 but still have medication left and use      as needed (last took 1/2 tab of Clonazepam on January 1/18

-  September 2013 Seroquel 25mg daily for 3 months (temporarily subscribed due to event)

- March 2017 started slow taper off of Celexa and remained on 10mg for 8 months then started another taper May 2018 - August 1/18 Celexa completed stopped

Supplements

- probiotic (for women), Calcium with Magnesium, Vitamin D3, Livatone Plus --- all daily with periodic breaks re the Livatone plus

- January 2/19 started on Magnesium (glycinate - 2 capsules) and Theanine (1 capsule)

• Administrator

Welcome, Mama2.

If I were you, I'd start with only 0.5mg Celexa, request a prescription for the liquid. We've found a little can go a long way, while taking a "normal" dose can cause kindling -- even worse anxiety, etc.

If you can't get Celexa liquid and you've never had a bad reaction to Prozac, substituting 0.5mg liquid Prozac is also an option.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for your response.  I am seeing my psychiatrist on January 7th.  

Supplements

• Administrator

Do you have any Celexa left? You can make a liquid from the tablets. You'll need an oral syringe to measure the dose. See Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I do but think I will wait to see my psychiatrist as it's only in a couple of days.  I have seen her for many years and she is a wonderful support.  What I will do though is bring my leftover Celexa with me when I see her and mention the information you provided above re liquid.  I will also check out the link you provided.  Thank you so much as I do so appreciate the information/advice!  I will also send an update after I see her.  Thanks again. :)

Supplements

• Administrator

Don't be surprised if she is skeptical about the tiny reinstatement. You might say you want to start low with the liquid.

I would avoid taking a "normal" dose, it can kindle sensitized nervous systems.

I won't for sure but I must say she has been quite approachable over the many years I have been a patient of hers.  And I sure as hell don't want to go back to a "normal" dose especially as depression (which I initially was put on meds for) has not been an issue since coming off of the Celexa.  Thanks.

Supplements

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find it helpful to write a script and rehearse what you are going to say.  Be calm, gentle but assertive.  You are the customer, it is your body.  Use words like I'd like to try this.  If a suggestion is made that you don't want to follow, say I'd like to think about it before making a decision.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Good advice, thank you!

Supplements

Not sure if I'm clicking on the responding thing right but just wanted to give an update re my psychiatrist's appointment today.  She had some concerns of possible relapse as I have had a hellish 5 months with physical health issues and loss in the family but she did agree to start me on a small dose to see if it is discontinuation.  She has written me a script for a compounding pharmacy with a starting dosage of 2.5 mg of Celexa and then a plan to see her again in 2 weeks.  I will fill the script but since I have some 10 mg pills at home I'm attempting to do the pill crushing, adding to water, and syringing up a smaller dose to start.

Supplements