Albert: preparing to get off Paxil / paroxetine for good

Albert

4 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Does the itching get worse after you take Paxil in the morning?

Kind of hard to say Alto, this is the 1st day that the tiny pins and needles / itching has been quite this severe.  My symptoms seem to be the most intense from time of wake up until early afternoon.   That may have something to do w/taking the Paxil, just not sure.  It had never been a problem before.    Also my saddle area has been on fire today.

Meds: Paroxetine, Hydrocodone, k flex, Xanax, Amatriptline, Gabapentin

1998-Apr 2020 Paroxetine 30mg.  04/20 2-week taper off, 0ff 6 weeks -05/20 reinstated 20mg,  Paroxetine - Cymbalta Cross taper attempt 04/20 - 30mg - Cut CT after 6-7 weeks.   Around 06/19 started Paroxetine taper from 30mg by cutting and eyeballing - By 08/19 symptoms started 09/19 - 04/20 = 3 back surgeries thinking symptoms were spine related.  During that time was on and off opiods after each operation, Gabapentin 300 mg daily for about 6-8 weeks, K flex / Flexeril - once before bedtime 04/19 - 05/20, Xanax as needed for past 3 years - stopped 04/20, ( usually twice per week ), Amatriptline 10mg for aprox 6 weeks = off since aprox 02/20.  Currently Tapered all the way down to 1 mg Hydro daily and 20mg Paroxetine - In severe withdrawals. Was taking .5 Hydro 2 times daily.   Spread it out to 3 then 4 times daily to avoid inter dose withdrawal.   Taking .5 hydroo 4 times daily. - 2mg daily.    Spread Paroxetine to twice daily.  10 mg at 7 am and at 3:00 PM for a total of 20 mg daily.  04/13/2021 Paroxetine 10mg twice daily (total 20mg )  7:00 am and 7:00 pm.  10/22/2021 Completely OFF Hydrocodone. 10/2022 - 10mg Parox AM - 9 mg parox PM ( 19mg) 01/06/2023 18mg Paroxetine-9mg am /9 mg Pm 11/2023  - Been dropping 1% every 30 days after extended hold.  Currently at 17.2 mg Paroxetine daily.  

• Administrator

The reason I asked the question is because it is crucial to determining whether Paxil is causing these symptoms. "Is the symptom worse after you take x drug" is something I need to know.

I don't want to hear about Cymbalta again.

10 minutes ago, Albert said:

Current Medications - Paxil 20 mg, Statin 10 mg, Hydro  - Only 12.5 mg through entire day.    I recently did a drop from 15 mg daily down to 12.5.  I think this is pretty low dose.

Do you take all these drugs together in the morning? When did you reduce hydro (I presume that's hydrocordone?)?

You may have noticed I mentioned that it may not be possible to distinguish Paxil withdrawal symptoms from opiate withdrawal symptoms if you change your drugs at the same time. Now you've compounded the difficulty by casually changing your dosage of hydrocodone again. The itching may be a reaction to that.

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

In addition, this is the first you've mentioned the statin. None of your drugs are harmless. Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

Do not change more than one drug at a time. If you're not stable on Paxil, a change in one of your other drugs might exacerbate your symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Drug Interaction Report

This report displays the potential drug interactions for the following 3 drugs:

• atorvastatin
  • Paxil (paroxetine)
  • hydrocodone

Edit list (add/remove drugs)

Major (0)
Moderate (1)
Minor (0)
Food (3)
Therapeutic Duplication (0)

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

HYDROcodone PARoxetine

Applies to: hydrocodone, Paxil (paroxetine)

Using HYDROcodone together with PARoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucinations, seizures, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms during treatment. In addition, combining these medications may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

1998-Apr 2020 Paroxetine 30mg.  04/20 2-week taper off, 0ff 6 weeks -05/20 reinstated 20mg,  Paroxetine - Cymbalta Cross taper attempt 04/20 - 30mg - Cut CT after 6-7 weeks.   Around 06/19 started Paroxetine taper from 30mg by cutting and eyeballing - By 08/19 symptoms started 09/19 - 04/20 = 3 back surgeries thinking symptoms were spine related.  During that time was on and off opiods after each operation, Gabapentin 300 mg daily for about 6-8 weeks, K flex / Flexeril - once before bedtime 04/19 - 05/20, Xanax as needed for past 3 years - stopped 04/20, ( usually twice per week ), Amatriptline 10mg for aprox 6 weeks = off since aprox 02/20.  Currently Tapered all the way down to 1 mg Hydro daily and 20mg Paroxetine - In severe withdrawals. Was taking .5 Hydro 2 times daily.   Spread it out to 3 then 4 times daily to avoid inter dose withdrawal.   Taking .5 hydroo 4 times daily. - 2mg daily.    Spread Paroxetine to twice daily.  10 mg at 7 am and at 3:00 PM for a total of 20 mg daily.  04/13/2021 Paroxetine 10mg twice daily (total 20mg )  7:00 am and 7:00 pm.  10/22/2021 Completely OFF Hydrocodone. 10/2022 - 10mg Parox AM - 9 mg parox PM ( 19mg) 01/06/2023 18mg Paroxetine-9mg am /9 mg Pm 11/2023  - Been dropping 1% every 30 days after extended hold.  Currently at 17.2 mg Paroxetine daily.  

37 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

The reason I asked the question is because it is crucial to determining whether Paxil is causing these symptoms. "Is the symptom worse after you take x drug" is something I need to know.

I don't want to hear about Cymbalta again.

Do you take all these drugs together in the morning? When did you reduce hydro (I presume that's hydrocordone?)?

You may have noticed I mentioned that it may not be possible to distinguish Paxil withdrawal symptoms from opiate withdrawal symptoms if you change your drugs at the same time. Now you've compounded the difficulty by casually changing your dosage of hydrocodone again. The itching may be a reaction to that.

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

In addition, this is the first you've mentioned the statin. None of your drugs are harmless. Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

Do not change more than one drug at a time. If you're not stable on Paxil, a change in one of your other drugs might exacerbate your symptoms.

I take the Paxil about 1s thing in the morning, then I take 5 mg hydro at 11;00 and then 7.5 tablet at 6:00 and then the 10 mg of the statin at bedtime.

Sorry, I dropped the 11:00 AM hydro tablet from 7.5 tab to a 5 tab just today.  Thinking it might be good to get it out of my system.  I can go back to the 7.5 tomorrow.  

• Administrator

If the itching pre-dates the hydrocordone decrease, might as well keep it at 5mg. The reaction between Paxil and hydrocordone is concerning.

Please keep those notes from tonight into tomorrow. I need to see what happens before and after you take each of your drugs. You could have become allergic to any of them.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

This is an example of what Alto requires.  Please keep it simple.  And additional information should be added at the bottom:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

16 hours ago, Altostrata said:

If the itching pre-dates the hydrocordone decrease, might as well keep it at 5mg. The reaction between Paxil and hydrocordone is concerning.

Please keep those notes from tonight into tomorrow. I need to see what happens before and after you take each of your drugs. You could have become allergic to any of them.

I am keeping a log and trying to keep it simple.   Thanks for the help Alto.  I have noticed something.   I have had really tiny pockets of improvement.  Like I will feel slighted/ mentally improved for maybe 1 minute or so.  Then back to withdrawal.  

• Administrator

As we said, improvement is gradual, in fits and starts. There is no need for you to report every blip in your symptoms, only significant changes.

I do have one question, I had a follow up with my Neurologist post back surgery and as result of my spinal cord injury, I am having some burning in my feet and directly behind the back of my knees.  I already explained that I am not interested in Cymbalta, or Amitriptyline as I do not want two different antidepressants in my system again.  He then recommended neurotin and advised it is not in the antidepressant class.  Does that sound correct?  Is that something that would have a negative reaction to the Paxil.  I already advised him that I am not interested in starting it until I have stabilized on Paxil.  Thanks for your input.

• Moderator Emeritus
36 minutes ago, Albert said:

He then recommended neurotin and advised it is not in the antidepressant class.  Does that sound correct?  Is that something that would have a negative reaction to the Paxil. 

Please use a drug interaction checker to see if there are any known issues with combining drugs.

https://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

https://www.drugs.com/interaction/list/?searchterm=neurontin

You are also still taking hydrocodoneThat needs to be included.  As well as any other drugs which you are currently taking.

You can also research what type of drug something is on this site:  https://www.drugs.com

Searching for the drug name + wiki in a search engine can also be useful.

From drugs.com:

What is Neurontin?

Neurontin (gabapentin) is an anti-epileptic drug, also called an anticonvulsant. It affects chemicals and nerves in the body that are involved in the cause of seizures and some types of pain.

Neurontin is used in adults to treat neuropathic pain (nerve pain) caused by herpes virus or shingles (herpes zoster).

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

18 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Please use a drug interaction checker to see if there are any known issues with combining drugs.

https://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

https://www.drugs.com/interaction/list/?searchterm=neurontin

You are also still taking hydrocodoneThat needs to be included.  As well as any other drugs which you are currently taking.

You can also research what type of drug something is on this site:  https://www.drugs.com

Searching for the drug name + wiki in a search engine can also be useful.

From drugs.com:

What is Neurontin?

Neurontin (gabapentin) is an anti-epileptic drug, also called an anticonvulsant. It affects chemicals and nerves in the body that are involved in the cause of seizures and some types of pain.

Neurontin is used in adults to treat neuropathic pain (nerve pain) caused by herpes virus or shingles (herpes zoster).

Daily Log

10:00pm: Took 10mg statin and .5 mg melatonin and went to bed.

1:30 am:  Woke and could not sleep.  Took Benadryl

6am- 9am vivid dreams.  Practicing breathing and had some positive thoughts.

9:30am Took 20 mg Paxil and Flonase for allergies .

10:00am 1-cup black coffee to avoid caffeine headaches

10:00am small intense bouts of nausea. 

10:30am small pins and needles creepy crawlers under skin. Minor to moderate

10:45am 1 cup dry Cheerios 

Small burning and stinging sensations behind eyes. Very blurry vision close up.

11:00am- moderate pins and needles up and down arms and some minor muscle twitching. 

12:00pm Hydro 5 mg

Nausea, head pressure, pins and needles and constipation changed to diarrhea.

2:00pm had banana and wheat bread.

2:30pm eyes stinging, muscle twitching, eyes stinging.

4:00pm Fish Oil / magnesium. 

Stinging and tingling

5:30pm de realization and burning in arms and legs.

6:00 burning and pins and needles starting to increase.

7:00pm Hydro 7.5 /325

8:00 have experienced multiple small pockets of relief. 

10:30 ears ringing

Pins and needles

11:00 10mg statin

Noise in ears all night

Edited by Altostrata
reduced font size

On 6/12/2020 at 7:08 PM, Altostrata said:

Drug Interaction Report

This report displays the potential drug interactions for the following 7 drugs:

• Neurontin (gabapentin)
  • acetaminophen / hydrocodone
  • melatonin
  • Flonase (fluticasone nasal)
  • magnesium sulfate
  • atorvastatin
  • Paxil (paroxetine)

Edit list (add/remove drugs)

How to Prevent Deadly Drug Interactions

Some mixtures of medications can lead to serious and even fatal consequences.

Here are 9 ways to stay safe

Interactions between your drugs

Using narcotic pain or cough medications together with other medications that also cause central nervous system depression such as gabapentin can lead to serious side effects including respiratory distress, coma, and even death. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring to safely use both medications. Do not drink alcohol or self-medicate with these medications without your doctor's approval, and do not exceed the doses or frequency and duration of use prescribed by your doctor. Also, because these medications may cause dizziness, drowsiness, difficulty concentrating, and impairment in judgment, reaction speed and motor coordination, you should avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how they affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

HYDROcodone PARoxetine

Applies to: acetaminophen / hydrocodone, Paxil (paroxetine)

Using HYDROcodone together with PARoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucinations, seizures, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms during treatment. In addition, combining these medications may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

PARoxetine gabapentin

Applies to: Paxil (paroxetine), Neurontin (gabapentin)

Treatment with PARoxetine may occasionally cause blood sodium levels to get too low, a condition known as hyponatremia, and using it with gabapentin can increase that risk. In addition, PARoxetine can cause seizures in susceptible patients, which may reduce the effectiveness of medications that are used to control seizures such as gabapentin. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring to safely use both medications. You should seek medical attention if you experience nausea, vomiting, headache, lethargy, irritability, difficulty concentrating, memory impairment, confusion, muscle spasm, weakness or unsteadiness, as these may be symptoms of hyponatremia. More severe cases may lead to hallucination, fainting, seizure, coma, and even death. Also let your doctor know if you develop seizures or experience an increase in seizures during treatment with PARoxetine. Additionally, because these medications may cause dizziness, drowsiness, and impairment in judgment, reaction speed and motor coordination, you should avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how they affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs. This does not necessarily mean no other interactions exist. Always consult your healthcare provider.

Drug and food interactions

Major

HYDROcodone  food

Applies to: acetaminophen / hydrocodone

Do not use alcohol or medications that contain alcohol while you are receiving treatment with HYDROcodone. This may increase nervous system side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, difficulty concentrating, and impairment in thinking and judgment. In severe cases, low blood pressure, respiratory distress, fainting, coma, or even death may occur. If you are taking certain long-acting formulations of hydrocodone, consumption of alcohol may also cause rapid release of the drug, resulting in high blood levels that may be potentially lethal. Likewise, you should avoid consuming grapefruit and grapefruit juice, as this may increase the blood levels and effects of hydrocodone. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions on how to take this or other medications you are prescribed. Do not use more than the recommended dose of HYDROcodone, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medication without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

PARoxetine  food

Applies to: Paxil (paroxetine)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of PARoxetine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with PARoxetine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of PARoxetine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

gabapentin  food

Applies to: Neurontin (gabapentin)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of gabapentin such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with gabapentin. Do not use more than the recommended dose of gabapentin, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

atorvastatin  food

Applies to: atorvastatin

Grapefruit juice can increase the blood levels of atorvastatin. This can increase the risk of side effects such as liver damage and a rare but serious condition called rhabdomyolysis that involves the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue. In some cases, rhabdomyolysis can cause kidney damage and even death. You should limit your consumption of grapefruit juice to no more than 1 quart per day during treatment with atorvastatin. Let your doctor know immediately if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness during treatment, especially if these symptoms are accompanied by fever or dark colored urine. You should also seek immediate medical attention if you develop fever, chills, joint pain or swelling, unusual bleeding or bruising, skin rash, itching, loss of appetite, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, dark colored urine, and/or yellowing of the skin or eyes, as these may be signs and symptoms of liver damage. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Only major drug reaction is Gabapentin and Hydro so I am gonna tell my doc I want to hold off on the Gabapentin until I am stable and off hydro for sure. 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Albert said:

Daily Log

10:00pm: Took 10mg statin and .5 mg melatonin and went to bed.

1:30 am:  Woke and could not sleep.  Took Benadryl

6am- 9am vivid dreams.  Practicing breathing and had some positive thoughts.

9:30am Took 20 mg Paxil and Flonase for allergies .

10:00am 1-cup black coffee to avoid caffeine headaches

10:00am small intense bouts of nausea. 

10:30am small pins and needles creepy crawlers under skin. Minor to moderate

10:45am 1 cup dry Cheerios

Small burning and stinging sensations behind eyes. Very blurry vision close up.

11:00am- moderate pins and needles up and down arms and some minor muscle twitching. 

12:00pm Hydro 5 mg

Nausea, head pressure, pins and needles and constipation changed to diarrhea.

2:00pm had banana and wheat bread.

2:30pm eyes stinging, muscle twitching, eyes stinging.

4:00pm Fish Oil / magnesium.

Stinging and tingling

5:30pm de realization and burning in arms and legs.

6:00 burning and pins and needles starting to increase.

7:00pm Hydro 7.5 /325

8:00 have experienced multiple small pockets of relief.

10:30 ears ringing

Pins and needles

Noise in ears all night

I've indicated in red the possible adverse effects of various drugs:

10:00am 1-cup black coffee to avoid caffeine headaches 10:00am small intense bouts of nausea.  - Could be the coffee. Does it occur every morning after you drink coffee? Does it ever occur before you drink coffee?

12:00pm Hydro 5 mg Nausea, head pressure, pins and needles and constipation changed to diarrhea. Reaction to your hydro dose.

7:00pm Hydro 7.5 /325 8:00 have experienced multiple small pockets of relief. You get enough hydro in you to forestall hydro withdrawal symptoms.

What does 7.5 /325 mean?

10:30 ears ringing Could be from the hydro wearing off.

Pins and needles

Noise in ears all night Could be from the hydro wearing off or adverse effect of statin.

My guess is overall, you have hydro withdrawal symptoms. What did your doctor say about this?

19 hours ago, Albert said:

I do have one question, I had a follow up with my Neurologist post back surgery and as result of my spinal cord injury, I am having some burning in my feet and directly behind the back of my knees.  I already explained that I am not interested in Cymbalta, or Amitriptyline as I do not want two different antidepressants in my system again.  He then recommended neurotin and advised it is not in the antidepressant class.  Does that sound correct?  Is that something that would have a negative reaction to the Paxil.  I already advised him that I am not interested in starting it until I have stabilized on Paxil.  Thanks for your input.

If you take a drug to chase every symptom, you're going to be taking a lot of drugs.

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I've indicated in red the possible adverse effects of various drugs:

10:00am 1-cup black coffee to avoid caffeine headaches 10:00am small intense bouts of nausea.  - Could be the coffee. Does it occur every morning after you drink coffee? Does it ever occur before you drink coffee? 

The short intense bouts of nausea can come at random at about anytime of day.   

12:00pm Hydro 5 mg Nausea, head pressure, pins and needles and constipation changed to diarrhea. Reaction to your hydro dose.

I did change that dose from 7.5mg to 5 mg three days ago. 

7:00pm Hydro 7.5 /325 8:00 have experienced multiple small pockets of relief. You get enough hydro in you to forestall hydro withdrawal symptoms.

You probably have that right. 

What does 7.5 /325 mean?

7.5 mg Hydro and 325 Tylenol 

10:30 ears ringing Could be from the hydro wearing off.

Pins and needles

Yes

Noise in ears all night Could be from the hydro wearing off or adverse effect of statin.

This has increased since I have decreased the 1st dose of Hydro. 

My guess is overall, you have hydro withdrawal symptoms. What did your doctor say about this?

Well, once he saw that I was not doing so well on the Cymbalta/ Paxil cross taper.  He stabilize my Hydro dose at Two 7.5mg tablets per day.  I think he seems to be more suspect of this being a Paxil w/drawl issue.   He just made so many medication changes Alto, I am not sure he really knows what is going on.  I told him about my decision to stabilize at 20 mg of Paxil vs my original 30 as we discussed.  He was on board with that.   He thinks I should  try to stabilize and thinks that this should hopefully settle down here in a few weeks and then continue the Hydro taper.   I just think I really need to get off this hydro.  I may have to be more patient. 

• Mentor
2 minutes ago, Albert said:

I may have to be more patient.

Albert, this is the key to dealing with withdrawal and recovery.  After I educated myself on SSRI's, their side effects and withdrawal, I realized it would take time.  All together, it took me three years to withdraw and fully recover.  That seems like a long time, but it wasn't non-stop agony, and three years is worth it for a lifetime of freedom from these drugs.

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

• Administrator

I can guarantee your doctor doesn't know what's going on.

Please join a forum or Facebook group about opioid withdrawal. You need information about tapering and coping with the withdrawal symptoms, we don't provide that support here.

In the meantime, I would be sure to keep the Paxil dose at the same dosage and time each day, don't confuse your system and symptom pattern with any drug changes other than the hydro.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

I can guarantee your doctor doesn't know what's going on.

Please join a forum or Facebook group about opioid withdrawal. You need information about tapering and coping with the withdrawal symptoms, we don't provide that support here.

In the meantime, I would be sure to keep the Paxil dose at the same dosage and time each day, don't confuse your system and symptom pattern with any drug changes other than the hydro.

Thank you Alto, with the experience that you have with these drugs and considering my situation. How long would you anticipate that it would take me to reach some sort of stability?  I know it is hard to tell alto, I am just looking for an approximation from your stand point.  I know that as I taper, I could experience more withdrawals but I am just wanting your thoughts on stabilizing.  

1 hour ago, mstimc said:

Albert, this is the key to dealing with withdrawal and recovery.  After I educated myself on SSRI's, their side effects and withdrawal, I realized it would take time.  All together, it took me three years to withdraw and fully recover.  That seems like a long time, but it wasn't non-stop agony, and three years is worth it for a lifetime of freedom from these drugs.

I am in this for the long haul!!!  If you don’t mind me asking, did u ever taper to fast and have to reinstate to stabilize.  If so, how long did it take you to stabilize?  I know everyone is different 

• Mentor
3 minutes ago, Albert said:

I am in this for the long haul!!!  If you don’t mind me asking, did u ever taper to fast and have to reinstate to stabilize.  If so, how long did it take you to stabilize?  I know everyone is different 

Yes, I tried tapering twice before getting it right.  The first time I tried on my own by taking it every other day.  I didn't know varying the dose affected the drug's level in the bl0od and it gave me terrible withdrawal.   I was able to reinstate and start again.  The second time I got cocky and went too fast.  Finally, I took the advice I'd been given and tapered slowly over many months.

I also a therapist who understood withdrawal syndrome and who helped me with CBT.  That's vital, both for managing withdrawal symptoms and for handling my anxiety/OCD without drugs.  If you don't have some kind of coping strategy in place, tapering and withdrawal will be a lot more difficult,.

Tim C

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Albert said:

I know that as I taper, I could experience more withdrawals but I am just wanting your thoughts on stabilizing.  

Stabilizing from what? Without getting into the sticky wicket of how you've tapered hydrocordone, I don't know what your expectations are for going off it. You'll have to confer with your doctor about the results of your tapering. Did he or she say you wouldn't have withdrawal symptoms?

If you're asking about stabilizing from your mishap with Paxil, it's impossible to distinguish your ongoing hydro withdrawal symptoms from whatever is going on with Paxil. You're likely in a period of constant disruption as you go off hydro.

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Stabilizing from what? Without getting into the sticky wicket of how you've tapered hydrocordone, I don't know what your expectations are for going off it. You'll have to confer with your doctor about the results of your tapering. Did he or she say you wouldn't have withdrawal symptoms?

If you're asking about stabilizing from your mishap with Paxil, it's impossible to distinguish your ongoing hydro withdrawal symptoms from whatever is going on with Paxil. You're likely in a period of constant disruption as you go off hydro.

No, the Dr said that I may have some withdrawals but he felt they would not to bad as this is what they consider a pretty low dose.  I think the major problem is the Paxil.   What do u think?   Should I dump the Hydro?  I am just scared as I am in living Hell

• Administrator

You are experiencing what thousands of other people experience because their doctors don't know anything about tapering, withdrawal, or even drug adverse effects.

I went to the trouble of showing where you might be having adverse effects of hydrocodone, although tapering that is not something I support. You will have those adverse effects as long as you're taking those doses.  It's up to you to decide if you want to continue to cope with what your doctor thinks are mild symptoms, or to seek tapering advice elsewhere.

As for the Paxil, I think I might have advised several times not changing the dose for a good while. I don't have any magic to make your symptoms go away, and I'm not going to get drawn into the concurrent problems with hydrocodone. I would not advise reducing Paxil at this time. I don't think I have anything else to add.

6 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You are experiencing what thousands of other people experience because their doctors don't know anything about tapering, withdrawal, or even drug adverse effects.

I went to the trouble of showing where you might be having adverse effects of hydrocodone, although tapering that is not something I support. You will have those adverse effects as long as you're taking those doses.  It's up to you to decide if you want to continue to cope with what your doctor thinks are mild symptoms, or to seek tapering advice elsewhere.

As for the Paxil, I think I might have advised several times not changing the dose for a good while. I don't have any magic to make your symptoms go away, and I'm not going to get drawn into the concurrent problems with hydrocodone. I would not advise reducing Paxil at this time. I don't think I have anything else to add.

Alto I don’t want you to think that I don’t appreciate everything that you’re doing for me I am willing to listen and I know that you have a lot more experience in this than the doctors this is just a very scary moment for me and I am trying to figure things out in my mind I will stay at my current Hydro dose as well as my current paxil Dose in the hope that I will stabilize.  Do you think I am good taking magnesium and fish oil

• Administrator

I can't predict if you'll benefit from taking fish oil or magnesium. See
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Very unlikely they will relieve adverse effects of hydrocodone.

Please do not continue to report adverse effects of hydrocodone as Paxil withdrawal symptoms. We can't help you with your adverse drug effects as long as you're taking this combination of drugs.

8 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I can't predict if you'll benefit from taking fish oil or magnesium. See
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Very unlikely they will relieve adverse effects of hydrocodone.

Please do not continue to report adverse effects of hydrocodone as Paxil withdrawal symptoms. We can't help you with your adverse drug effects as long as you're taking this combination of drugs.

Ok, I will not mention Hydro.  Sorry, I don’t want to loose your help. 

• Administrator

You're welcome to return when you're ready to taper Paxil.

Oh, by the way. could be the Tylenol in your hydrocodone causing the tinnitus.

9 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You're welcome to return when you're ready to taper Paxil.

Oh, by the way. could be the Tylenol in your hydrocodone causing the tinnitus.

Thanks Alto, I appreciate the tip. 

I put up a picture of my dog but it is sideways, would u be able to turn him the correct direction?  

28 minutes ago, Albert said:

Thanks Alto, I appreciate the tip. 

I put up a picture of my dog but it is sideways, would u be able to turn him the correct direction?  

The same thing happened with my avatar. But mine was upside down. I went into my pictures and edited it the saved it. Then I reposted it and it worked.

Hope that helps.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

27 minutes ago, Frogie said:

The same thing happened with my avatar. But mine was upside down. I went into my pictures and edited it the saved it. Then I reposted it and it worked.

Hope that helps.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Thank you I’ll try that

21 minutes ago, Albert said:

Thank you I’ll try that

Hope it works😊

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

5 hours ago, mstimc said:

Yes, I tried tapering twice before getting it right.  The first time I tried on my own by taking it every other day.  I didn't know varying the dose affected the drug's level in the bl0od and it gave me terrible withdrawal.   I was able to reinstate and start again.  The second time I got cocky and went too fast.  Finally, I took the advice I'd been given and tapered slowly over many months.

I also a therapist who understood withdrawal syndrome and who helped me with CBT.  That's vital, both for managing withdrawal symptoms and for handling my anxiety/OCD without drugs.  If you don't have some kind of coping strategy in place, tapering and withdrawal will be a lot more difficult,.

Did the physical symptoms become manageable as you stabilized?  That is my biggest problem right now.  I had a Dr that really changed around my medication and it has really got me a mess

• Mentor
5 hours ago, Albert said:

Did the physical symptoms become manageable as you stabilized?  That is my biggest problem right now.  I had a Dr that really changed around my medication and it has really got me a mess

They did but its so important to learn some kind of coping practices to handle the thoughts and symptoms.  The simplest thing to accept about WD is also the most difficult: that your mind and sensitized  nervous system are the root cause of your symptoms.  It seems impossible that thoughts could cause this much misery but its the truth.  Once you accept that, you can begin dealing with them; as intense as they are, they are temporary and ephemeral.

As Alto said, you're dealing with multiple tapers and medication changes and need time to stabilize.  Take that time learn coping techniques--you'll be surprised how effective they can be if you take them to heart and practice them.  There are no shortcuts but you can take steps to help you make progres..

Tim C

1 hour ago, mstimc said:

They did but its so important to learn some kind of coping practices to handle the thoughts and symptoms.  The simplest thing to accept about WD is also the most difficult: that your mind and sensitized  nervous system are the root cause of your symptoms.  It seems impossible that thoughts could cause this much misery but its the truth.  Once you accept that, you can begin dealing with them; as intense as they are, they are temporary and ephemeral.

As Alto said, you're dealing with multiple tapers and medication changes and need time to stabilize.  Take that time learn coping techniques--you'll be surprised how effective they can be if you take them to heart and practice them.  There are no shortcuts but you can take steps to help you make progres..

How long did it take u to stabilize? 

• Mentor

Between my second and third tapers it took me about three months to get to a point where I felt ready. Not normal but stable enough to try again. Normal came as I reduced and strengthened my ability to cope with the symptoms. 

As Alto said, its different for everyone and you have the extra complexity of weaning Hydro.   

I define normal as being able to lead a happy satisfying daily life, with or without anxious thinking.  I still get anxious and I still have OCD but I can manage them and get on with my life.  To me, that's recovery.  

Tim C