jolly: tapering Risperdal

jolly

Hello, Does anyone have experience with tapering off Risperdal by alternating doses.? I'm on 4mg now and an Ayurvedic doctor told me to alternate 4mg one day, 3mg the next, then 4 the next and 3 the next day. I'll be doing this for 6 weeks then go from 3mg to 2mg every other day.3, 2, 3, 2. I can't find anything online about this type of tapering. Please explain if you have any experience. Thank you!

Edited by Altostrata
removed code
  • Administrator

Hello, jolly.

I moved your post here to start your own Introductions topic, where you can ask questions about your own situation and post updates about your progress.

We advise NEVER to skip or alternate doses to taper, especially with a drug like risperidone, which has a short half-life. Skipping doses causes the level of the drug to go up and down in your bloodstream, which can trigger terrible withdrawal symptoms.

Here are our Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to jolly: tapering Risperdal
  • 6 months later...

Hello, I've been on Risperdal 2 years. I feel more depressed on it, have lost all joy and passions to live life, not to mention horrible weight gain. However I started a taper and I felt to feel "life" again. However, I became paranoid again, I have PTSD from childhood abuse. I think I've learned for now it is best to take an antipsychotic but I'm wondering which one is best. Any recommendations? I know they all have bad side affects but I'm just wondering if you all have experience and what one may be good. I read Abilify may be good. I appreciate any help or tips you can offer. Thank you for your time. 

• Moderator Emeritus

We need to know more about your drug history before we can offer suggestions.  Include ALL drugs/supplements, current AND previous.  We also need to see your dose changes.  Please create your drug signature following these instructions:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

8 hours ago, jolly said:

I think I've learned for now it is best to take an antipsychotic but I'm wondering which one is best. Any recommendations? I know they all have bad side affects but I'm just wondering if you all have experience and what one may be good. I read Abilify may be good.

SA is a site for tapering/reducing psychiatric drugs.

In your first post you were taking varying doses.  If you have been continuing to do this, then that may be contributing to what you are currently experiencing.

So that we can assess your situation better please provide 3 consecutive days of daily symptom notes following the instructions in this post:

Keep Notes on Paper

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management