Tess2019

I am a 63 year-old female. I started taking fluoxetine (20 mg) approximately 23 years ago for severe PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder).  I want to say here that I would do it all over again. It gave me my life back. I have been off of fluoxetine for three months now. I tapered slowly, over approximately 6 months. I was fine for about 6 or 7 weeks. Then I started having some real symptoms. I can deal with the physical symptoms: intestinal issues, headaches, and periodic dizziness. The low mood, though, is rough. Every day I consider taking just 5 mg again to get through this. Every single day. Things have changed in my life recently and I have to move. I have to sell my house and other houses in this area aren't selling. I work full time and it is hard to focus. At my age, I cannot afford to lose my job. I need to work until I am 70. In the past, I have been able to put aside stresses when I am  doing my work. I worry that the medication has changed my brain chemistry forever and this painful withdrawal is all for naught. I have given myself until 2/1/20. If I am not feeling better by then I am going back on fluoxetine. Have any of you successfully gotten yourselves back after quitting fluoxetine.  (I am on no other medications.)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello   Tess   and welcome to SA.

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

I am sorry you are having such a rough time but you are now in the right place.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:34 PM, Tess2019 said:

I have been off of fluoxetine for three months now. I tapered slowly, over approximately 6 months.

Unfortunately that is a fast taper.

We recommend a maximum of 10% of current dose to minimise withdrawal symptoms.

You are suffering W/D ( withdrawal symptoms )

Please see

dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

The only known way to mitigate W/D symptoms is to reinstate a small dose of the original drug.

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

It is important to note that reinstatement is best carried out within one month of ceasing the drug.

Three months is at outer limits but I did it successfully.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:34 PM, Tess2019 said:

I have given myself until 2/1/20.

Withdrawal cannot be rushed and setting a timetable induces extra stress which is undesirable to healing.

It is better to think I will stabilise so I can get on with my life, and taper slowly to become the old me.

If you leave reinstating for another two months it is less likely to work.

You will then go to your doctor who will probably switch drugs.

When that does not work he/she will increase the dose or even add in another drug and you are even worse off.

Doctors and psychs know nothing about W/D from these meds.

Please do not reinstate without asking us for a suggested dose.

In the meantime DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE TO YOUR CURRENT MEDS please.

Please feel free to browse the site, it is a wealth of info.

Other members threads will give you an insight and the opportunity to share experiences.

Again welcome.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

Hello, Sassenach,

I have just had two decent days. I didn't wake up with that dark feeling of dread. In retrospect, I realize that while I have been waking up in that black mode, it lifted some during the day and by the evening meal, I was more myself. Not totally, not by a long shot.I am still weepy at commercials. But, this afternoon I realized I was singing  in the car to the radio! I know I cannot expect to be back 100% soon, but I may be heading in the right direction. Above, I wrote that I tapered from 20 mg over six months.  I actually tapered from 10 mg over six months. I was on 10 mg for a year prior and was fine on that dosage. It was my understanding that 20 mg was the lowest therapeutic dose -- so I felt like it was time. (I have been post menopausal for over 5 years and I was below a therapeutic dose according to what I have read.)  Anyway, here I am feeling a little better -- for two days only, I know.  Maybe this is my first "window." I will see how I feel over the next few days before I consider reinstating. This site is amazing. I am so glad I found it. I will certainly do nothing before checking in here.  

I am on no other prescription medications. Right now I take a low dose aspirin in the evenings.

Thank you so much for input. I appreciate it. I also appreciate the attachments. I have printed out the w/d symptom checklist and this will help me, i know. Very informative.

Tess

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Tess

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

A taper off 10mgs makes more sense but is still quite fast.

This could be good news if your symptoms do not increase.

15 hours ago, Tess2019 said:

the lowest therapeutic dose

This is simply doctors justifying their decisions to prescribe high doses.

These drugs are many times more powerful than they need to be, which is why reinstatement is only done at low doses to avoid Kindling of the brain.

I wish you well and hope for the best for you.

If you experience any substantial uptick in symptoms please contact us sooner rather than later.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes: