Misswd: off olanzapine for 2 months

Misswd

Hi!

I am a 36 year old woman who sadly had a psychosis back in december-january 2018/2019. I was put initially put on Zyprexa and then switched to Olanzapine. My highest dose was 15 mg, which I by myself reduced to 10 after a short time since I didn´t feel I needed it. Luckily I didn´t have any symptomps due to the reduction.

My psychiatrist decided I had to stay on the meds for a year to reduce risk of having another psychosis, even though I didn´t have any symptomps of psychosis after three months on the meds. So I started tampering in january 2020. Went straight from 10 mg to 5mg. Used 5 mg for a month before tampering to 2,5 mg. Used that fo a month before stopping the medication totally.

About two weeks after quitting the medication I started to have chills and a low body temperature. My extremities felt so cold. I had problems when I walked my dog. Felt like the oxygen in my body whouldn´t circullate at all. Thought I had got low thyroid function so got my doctor to do a blood test when he did all the check ups he supposed to after being on the medication. The test came back negative.

Then I started to get a dry mouth, low blood pressure and head aches. Started to drink more as a doctor told my I was probably dehydrated-even if I didn´t drink less or drink more coffee. I also got alot of sweats, dizzyness, night sweat, trouble breathing and muscle aches. Also signs of uti, memory problems, coordination problems and so on. The list is long. 

I am so worried my symptomps will presist or that I will go into a new psychosis due to the fact I tampered so fast, so I have to do everything possible to make sure it doesn´t happen. 

My plan to overcome this is to: 1) eat healthy-mainly plant based. No sugar, gluten, dairy, and red meat 2) drop coffee and nicotine from today 3) drink enough water 4) exercise every day 5) get plenty of rest 6) use magnesium and d-vitamine 7)listen to what my body needs

I am so glad I found this forum so I can get tips and advice on how to manage trough this, so thank you so much!

• ChessieCat changed the title to Misswd: off olanzapine for 2 months
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 1:59 PM, Misswd said:

On 5/1/2020 at 1:59 PM, Misswd said:

Hi!

I am a 36 year old woman who sadly had a psychosis back in december-january 2018/2019. I was put initially put on Zyprexa and then switched to Olanzapine. My highest dose was 15 mg, which I by myself reduced to 10 after a short time since I didn´t feel I needed it. Luckily I didn´t have any symptomps due to the reduction.

My psychiatrist decided I had to stay on the meds for a year to reduce risk of having another psychosis, even though I didn´t have any symptomps of psychosis after three months on the meds. So I started tampering in january 2020. Went straight from 10 mg to 5mg. Used 5 mg for a month before tampering to 2,5 mg. Used that fo a month before stopping the medication totally.

About two weeks after quitting the medication I started to have chills and a low body temperature. My extremities felt so cold. I had problems when I walked my dog. Felt like the oxygen in my body whouldn´t circullate at all. Thought I had got low thyroid function so got my doctor to do a blood test when he did all the check ups he supposed to after being on the medication. The test came back negative.

Then I started to get a dry mouth, low blood pressure and head aches. Started to drink more as a doctor told my I was probably dehydrated-even if I didn´t drink less or drink more coffee. I also got alot of sweats, dizzyness, night sweat, trouble breathing and muscle aches. Also signs of uti, memory problems, coordination problems and so on. The list is long. 

I am so worried my symptomps will presist or that I will go into a new psychosis due to the fact I tampered so fast, so I have to do everything possible to make sure it doesn´t happen. 

My plan to overcome this is to: 1) eat healthy-mainly plant based. No sugar, gluten, dairy, and red meat 2) drop coffee and nicotine from today 3) drink enough water 4) exercise every day 5) get plenty of rest 6) use magnesium and d-vitamine 7)listen to what my body needs

I am so glad I found this forum so I can get tips and advice on how to manage trough this, so thank you so much!

I've been starting to have a lot of those symptoms. Dry mouth, feel dehydrated, dizzy, disoriented, sweaty, chills... it has led to a few panic attacks the past week which were devastating. I was sure I was dying of dehydration or electrolyte deficiency (even though i was just at the ER the other day and all of that was completely normal). I drink enough water (10 cups a day or so), get in sea salt here and there, eat well, etc etc. .. and the fear persists. Man, I swear. SSRI withdrawal is so bizarre compared to benzos tbh for me. The delayed sxs and wd is crazy. Benzo wd was more linear for me... but Prozac wd has hit in delayed waves many times.

Took Accutane in 2007 at age 19 and a severe reaction to it threw me into Psychiatry's dirty hands. Suffered through a number of c/t's, rapid tapers, drug switches, reinstatements before finally figuring out what was happening to me in 2012 after checking out of psych hospital with a prescription for Ativan and Prozac. (Went in because was unknowingly in Xanax c/t wd and dying at the time from it).

May 2016 - Last dose of Valium after 2 year long taper from 15mg

June 2017- Last dose of the corticosteroid Hydrocortisone after taper

July 2019- Last dose of Prozac after 2 year long taper from 30mg

Was on Accutane, Lexapro, Celexa, Xanax, Ativan, Prozac, Hydrocorisone, Valium, and thyroid meds when none of them were needed. Still recovering to this day and hope to be healed in the coming months, but taking it one day at a time.

Hi Misswd, I'm currently slow tapering olanzapine, but I was on it before twice and came off like you did and nothing happened to me, I had none of that. I'm sorry you had to get through this, I hope you can get well soon. People coming off drugs have lots of bizarre symptoms but in time I think you will recover. For me a wfpbd is really important and exercise too, so stick with it and you'll make it. I had psychosis too and the problem I'm having now is figuring out what to do if I have another crisis... Better to plan ahead than be surprised. Sending you healing vibes, all the best!

2007 - 15mg olanzapine, mood stabilizer, benzo, quetiapine 2009 - aripiprazol, benzo, lamotrigine 100mg 2015 - olzp 15mg, zolpidem 2017 - trazodone 2 weeks, cold turkey, lamotrigine and zolpidem, olzp 15mg, mood stabilizer, benzo 2018 - olzp 5mg, Nov olzp 2,5mg down directly from 5mg no symptoms 2019 - olzp 2,5mg cold turkey Jan after 12 days reinstated, Nov taper cutting pills 14 days reinstated 2,5mg 2020 - failed liquid taper, reinstated 2,5mg, 2022 - liquid taper 2,5% reductions Jan, huge crisis in May up to 30mg, tapered, reached 2,5mg in Set - decided to stop tapering and remain at 2,5mg olanzapine indefinetely.