Drugs for sleep

Earthworm

[I take Risperdal for sleep] And now I'm wondering if there is a better drug/safer drug out there that I can take instead. Any ideas to what I could switch to?

I am on 26mg Celexa atm... been here for over a year or more I think. I've been taking Risperdal 1mg every night for the past 5.5 years in order to sleep. Things like magnesium, Benadryl, breathing exercises, all don't work even a little bit. Without Risperdal I simply don't sleep. As a side effect it makes me sleep... or maybe it is not a side effect, but it simply corrects something in my brain temporarily which blocks me from sleeping... who knows. It does not knock me out, It takes an hour or 2 for me to start to feel sleepy. My sleep is not very deep, but it is restful, and that's what matters.

I don't know if it is the Celexa that keeps me from sleeping. At one point in my former tapers, I was down to 3.6mg Celexa, and sleep did not improve, so I'm thinking it might not be the Celexa, but some brain damage from my original discontinuation (which started my WD).

If there are also supplements that can make me sleep, I'd be interested to find out. Although melatonin does not work.

Edited by Altostrata
merged similar topics

-On SSRI since April 2006.
-December 2007: SSRI discontinuation and withdrawal start.
-February 2008: SSRI reinstatement... improvement, yet withdrawal symptoms remains to this day.
-Currently taking: 16mg Citalopram, 1mg Risperidone (for insomnia).
-Current issues: obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), social anxiety disorder (SAD), insomnia, exaggerated physical symptoms of anxiety, muscle fatigue, weight gain, high prolactin/low testosterone

I hear you on the sleep thing. Sleep is my big challenge, so I'm a little nervous about trying to taper off doxepin again. I do find that melatonin seems to help, although on the other hand, I also went back up on the doxepin shortly after I started the melatonin and because my sleep improved again I was hesitant to change anything. I've tried Mg but can't tell if it does anything. I take 9mg of melatonin at night but am trying to cut back to 6mg in case I need to increase it to help with sleep when I start cutting back on doxepin. Not sure if that's the best route, but my psychiatrist doesn't deal with melatonin or anything outside prescription meds.

Another thing I take is called Babuna. It's a chamomile homeopathic, but it's supposed to be more potent. I forget why. I've also tried Moon Drops, a homeopathic. Not sure it's done much for me, but I know people who love it. A friend of mine recommended vetivers, an essential oil that you can put on your sheets or in a diffuser. I want to try it for my daughter--haven't yet. I was just reading about leptin resistance and cold therapy, and I haven't delved into it much yet, but I can post the links. I have tried so many things to help with sleep, lots of meds, and doxepin is the only thing that's bearable. Anyway, not sure if that helps, but this is the focus of my search right now, so if I uncover anything that seems promising I can post about it.

wellnessmama/4936/how-to-improve-sleep-naturally/   Lots of basic stuff here, but other things I hadn't read before also, like cold water therapy.

www.jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/    Have not read this yet, just skimmed.

1998-2002 Zoloft and Doxepin 

2007-2016 Klonopin (discontinued 2013), Wellbutrin, Doxepin, Prozac (2016)

As of 1/1/2017

• Wellbutrin, 300mg
  • Doxepin 85mg
  • Prozac 20mg

9/2017 Doxepin dropped to 75mg

1/2018 Prozac dropped to 10mg (5ml of a 20mg solution)

9/2018-12/2018 Prozac taper, .2ml every 2 weeks

2/2019 Prozac at .6ml (2.4mg I think)

Find a less dangerous sleep aid.

Risperdal at a sleep dosage isn't near as bad as at the level used for psyhcosis but remains an extremely toxic drug. Seriously!

Try l-ornithine start w/ a small dose and make sure you tolerate and then keep increasing up to a few grams and see if you can sleep. Keep a food log. Exercise in the outside for 20-30 minutes 2x a day, once in the morning once in the late afternoon; walking is good. In bed by 9pm. No eating after dark. No TV after dark (i'm on internet right now and its 10:47)

good luck

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Risperdal is a horrible drug but at 1mg I would think the risks are minimal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

and DON'T come off Risperdal quickly...

1mg isn't all that low really, just in that it's a very potent drug...it's true that it's prescribed at much higher doses, but 1 mg is still a significant dose... so a slow taper of 10% at a time...just like with the celexa or any other psych med is warranted.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I agree w/ Gia. 1mg risperdal is significant. Dr Caring thinks it ridiculous that I took 5mg and risperdal is prescribed even higher than that. So it's not a heinous dose but it's almost surely terribly and unnecessarily destrctive at that level.

I would be very concerned taking 1mg of risperidone every day for anything.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

Risperdal is a very potent drug and I agree with Gia and Alex, 1mg is a 'significant' dose. That was my original dose and I tried to stop taking it at .5 mg and was very sick for two years. I'm still not over leaving it off for only two weeks before reinstating.

Its considered a major tranquilizer, that's why it helps you sleep. It helped me sleep too and it's what I have the most trouble stopping. I'm scared to go too fast with tapering it. I was on it three months when I started taking half of it. I didn't realize it until later but I had some WDs when I halved the pill.

It's a horrible drug in many ways!

Hugs!

I checked [trazodone] out at crazymeds.  Can anyone here tell me more about it.  I don't take it.

Does it cause dopiness, chronic tiredness, etc?  I thought it was meant for nighttime use...

Nikki

Edited by Altostrata
added clarification

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

All I know about it is it is commonly prescribed as a med for insomnia. My first sleep doctor wanted me to take but I declined since it caused horrific side effect previously including one time, causing me to fall from dizziness due to getting up too quickly. Fortunately, I wasn't seriously hurt.

It also causes nasal congestion and with my sinus issues, that is the last thing I needed.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Thank you for getting back to me.  My daughter is taking it.  And something is seriously wrong.  I am hoping it is the medicine and that she is not on drugs, or having  walking nervous breakdown.

I am very worried and when I try to address it, she gets ugly/mad.

She seems very sedated.  Like there is a glaze over her face/eyes.  She is waking up looking hung over and always tired.  "She" the person I know is not  there.  I have never seen this before.  She is very morose, negative, doesn't laugh or smile anymore.  There doesn't seem to be a filter between her head and mouth.  She looks high but in a sedated way.

The doctor she is seeing is not good at prescribing.  My daughter has bad anxiety and she initially gave her Wellbutrin.  Disastrous.  Now it Trazadone.  She has anxiety and depression.

She had her first panic attack at about 12-13.  I was newly divorced and her father in one of his rages because her cell phone bill was high told her "he doesn't want her in his life."  She got off the phone and collapsed in my arms.  I took her for a long ride along the beach to talk.

From that point on she has had bad anxiety and then the ensuing depression.

I cannot talk to her without being yelled at.  I can't get through to discuss the medication issue if that is what it is.  The Psychiatrist she sees has her younger patients take a drug test every three months right before their appointment.

When she was taking pain meds (prescribed) she would nod out.  This is different.  She is not nodding out.

I am ready to jump off the Jupiter Lighthouse.  How can you help them, or try to talk to them.  I keep hitting a wall.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Obviously, I am not a medical professional but it sure looks like your daughter is being adversely effected by the med.

The situation with your daughter reminds me when my mother tried to warn me about the psych meds I was on several years ago. Unfortunately, I was too spellbound to listen and blew her off. I cringe when I think of that.

I think what I am saying is you are in a tough position and I have no good advice to give you.  Hopefully, someone will chime in who can help.

There really isn't any advise anyone could give. This kid is going to send me to a psych ward.  It never ends.

My bff said yesterday it sounds like the trazadone.  I've seen her on benzos and pain meds and this is different.  My understanding is that trazadone is not prescribed as an AD but as a sleep aid.  Ellen mentioned in her post that there is a metabolite in trazadone that can cause daytime anxiety.

This doctor is really off the mark here. 

I guess I would like to know from people who have actually taken it, if this sounds like a side effect of too much.

Honest to God, if I had the money I would move to another state, just to be free from the ongoing drama and stress.  It's endless.

Next week it will be something else.

This may be a situation where I am powerless.  Accepting that and moving on is tough, but sometimes there isn't anything we could do, especially if they don't want to hear it.  Hard to watch.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Administrator

Please use Google to find out more about trazodone.

Use search on this site to see discussions about it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Nikki, of course you know my experience with trazodone, but let me assure you again.  EVERYTHING you described about your daughter on trazodone I've also experienced and lived through.  I seriously doubt she's on illicit drugs.  I firmly believe the trazodone is the cause of all you've described- even her refusal to talk about it.  Yes, it causes dopiness, chronic tiredness, nervous breakdowns, irritability, yelling, impulsive speech, ect. That's just from my own personal experience in taking it.  Her doctor has her taking it in the daytime?!?  I can't imagine how horrible that must be.  At least mine has the nighttime to wear off a little before daybreak.  I don't know if she's taking too much of it, as I believe any amount of trazodone is too much.  Have you talked to her doctor about weaning off it, even if he wants to put her on something else?  I'm so sorry she was put on this stuff.  I feel for you.  Please take heart though in knowing that your daughter hasn't changed; she's just having an adverse reaction to it.  And I'm going to tell you something that I NEVER intended to post on this site, as it goes against the 10% per month rule.  I don't want you to be afraid of her not being able to get off the drug.  I found a dose reduction that works ME.  Both a 5% and a 50% reduction failed for me, but now I'm on a 25% reduction (sorry guys), and I'm not getting the rebound migraines, irritability, anxiety, or insomnia.  This is still week one of my dose reduction, so WD symptoms could pop up later, but I'm planning to stay on this dose for at least a month to stabalize for good.  Only then will I give a thought to dropping further.  Everyone's body is different, so you may need to adjust what the doctor recommends for weening.  I sure had too!!!  She had me coming off it WAY to fast.  Just know that the drug can and does do all the awful things you described your daughter going through.  You'll get her back, but I personally don't think you'll get her back while she's still on this drug.  I'm so very opposed to it that I would have started weaning off it even against my doctor's advice.  I'm sure many on this board have had to do that as well.  Take heart!  She WILL get better!  It will just take some time and patience on your part.  I know your patience is zapped right now, but when you start seeing your daughter waking up to her normal self, your patience will come back.  I just prayed for her recovery.  so sorry you're dealing with this right now. 

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

• Administrator

In terms of tapering, whatever works, works. We recommend 10% per month as a fairly safe starting point --  you have to start somewhere, right?

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

As suggested by Alto, I am posting my experience with zopiclone here.

I've used zopiclone a number of times in my life and found it very helpful, but I've tried to limit the period of use to about six weeks.  As it is a z-drug, which are similar to benzos, it can be addictive.  I've found lack of sleep can really keep the nervous system sensitised and careful use of a sleep med can help to break that cycle, allowing things to calm down somewhat. 

My approach is to always use the minimum effective dose and adjust the dose as needed.  The usual advice here is to keep a daily consistent dose of whatever med, but I think for short term use of a sleep med it's best to take the minimum you need, aiming to taper off as soon as you can to avoid withdrawal issues. 

Here is how it worked for me:  In the beginning I might need a whole pill to get to sleep, but after a few days my sleep would stabilise and I would start chipping down the pill a little, trying, say, three-quarters and if it worked, stay there for a few days until sleep stabilised.  By sleep stabilising I mean good quality sleep.  After each drop, sleep quality might be not quite as good for a few days, but I would still sleep okay, then my body would adjust to the lower dose and sleep better.  Eventually I was able to use melatonin and valerian for sleep instead of meds. 

Of course, this approach may not work if your sleep does not stabilise due to ongoing severe w/d.  I found it helpful during the period after updosing when I was waiting for the updose to work and restabilise.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

The usual advice here is to keep a daily consistent dose of whatever med, but I think for short term use of a sleep med it's best to take the minimum you need, aiming to taper off as soon as you can to avoid withdrawal issues. 

This is usually in reference to the AD people are withdrawing and it relates to stabilising. Basically, we don't want to stabilise on a Z drug because that is likely to mean addition!  I can see the rationale in your approach.

I think the reason we tend to discourage taking meds to address sleep issues is because they risk addiction, risk further rebound insomnia and reinforce the idea that a pill will provide the magic answer.  From my perspective, the last of these, leads to the first one and then the second.  The mindset people bring usually sets off the alarm bells for me.

The way you have used z drugs appears consciously framed to avoid all of those things.

I have used sleeping drugs when I have been desperate, not when I was in total withdrawal because they didn't help, but when I wasn't functioning well, was heading towards stabilisation and needed a break.

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree that the "pop a pill" mindset is not good, and on my previous forum, taking any meds to help tended to be seen as a very bad thing.  But I've found that sometimes all the sleep hygiene and relaxation exercises in the world are not enough.  The lack of sleep can sensitise the nervous system even more becoming a vicious cycle.  Some good sleep can be enough to break the cycle by calming things down.  I think this can be helpful to get through a bad patch, or when waiting to restabilise after an RI or updose.  If someone is in severe long-term withdrawal and the sleep med works but tapering down the dose doesn't, that could lead to long-term use and potentially addiction, so the use of meds does need to be carefully considered.  

From what I've read, many people just take exactly what is on their prescription, so if the doc put "take one pill every night" that is what they do without really thinking about it, even though half a pill might be enough.  Then when they want to stop they just stop completely with no taper and try to sleep without anything.

I choose my treatment based on severity of the problem.  For mild sleep problems a little bit of valerian tincture usually helps.  If not I'll add in some melatonin (usually 0.5mg).  I only resort to zopiclone when nothing else works, and usually that is in a really bad patch of feeling very unstable.  My aim is to gradually get off it and back onto the melatonin and valerian, and then gradually off those.  It is similar to the slow tapering idea we use for ADs, but over a shorter time frame.  I'm not trying to encourage people to take sleep meds, just sharing my experience to show that it is an option that can work for some people.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

Hi Songbird,

It sounds like we have a very similar philosophy regarding sleep meds.  I have taken Tempazepam and Ambien CR on a PRN basis when I have had a horrible period of sleep to the point where my physical and mental health has severely deteriorated.   The only difference is I have decided that OTC stuff is horrible in getting me back to sleep so I just stick with the prescription stuff for now.

By the way, Ambien CR is going to be ditched as it has a very uneven record of providing benefits which means I will have to be very cautious with the Temazepam since even my sleep doctor has concerns about it even though she prescribed it for me since it is the only med that seems to help for my purpose.   Because it has less side effects, I had hoped it would be my number one option but after only giving me an additional hour of sleep the other night, it is history.

Anyway, last night, I started rereading a book on sleep which I will mention in the thread on sleep solutions which I hope will enable me to finally sleep without taking anything.

Dalsaan, I found your first reply imperesting and agree 100% about your "mindset" and "pill popping" theory. This is why I want to be drug ( Lexapro) free when I land in New Zealand. I feel that a dramatic change in life style can sometimes eliminate issues that may have been caused due to our chosen surroundings. USUALLY if I have any issues sleeping ( which is a rare thing ) I'll do some extreme physical labor during the day so my body and mind will naturally pass out when I hit my bed however, due to these nasty withdrawal symptoms I'm not going to think twice about popping that pill.

1998 Brain injury causing short term memory issues and PTSD

2012 - late December 2014: Lexapro 20mg for mood swings. Adderall 30mg for focus and memory issues.

I take Adderall as soon as I wake every morning, on an empty stomach with a glass of alkaline water.

I take Lexapro a couple of hours after the Adderal. Usually with some food. Always with alkaline water.

Every couple of months I'll take a one week break from the Adderall to reduce immunity.

Mid December 2014 I quit Lexapro ( not Adderall ) for the first time cold turkey attempt.

Ambien 10mg for sleep when needed - not consistant with needing to use it. Jan 9th 2 x Ambien. Knocked me out.

Jan 12 back on 10mg Lexapro after I started to experiance delayed WD. Actually I was suffering WD befor this date but I didn't know that the symptoms were related to me stopping the use of the Lexapro. 1 x 10mg ambien.

Jan 13 already MUCH better - until I had a beer. NO Adderall today.

Jan 14th half cc injectable B12 in my shoulder muscle. NO Adderall today. I feel great... Will reduce ambien to 5mg.

Back on regular med sehedile of 30mg Adderall in am, 2 hours later 10mg Lexapro.

I agree that the "pop a pill" mindset is not good, and on my previous forum, taking any meds to help tended to be seen as a very bad thing.  But I've found that sometimes all the sleep hygiene and relaxation exercises in the world are not enough.  The lack of sleep can sensitise the nervous system even more becoming a vicious cycle.  Some good sleep can be enough to break the cycle by calming things down.  I think this can be helpful to get through a bad patch, or when waiting to restabilise after an RI or updose.  If someone is in severe long-term withdrawal and the sleep med works but tapering down the dose doesn't, that could lead to long-term use and potentially addiction, so the use of meds does need to be carefully considered.  

From what I've read, many people just take exactly what is on their prescription, so if the doc put "take one pill every night" that is what they do without really thinking about it, even though half a pill might be enough.  Then when they want to stop they just stop completely with no taper and try to sleep without anything.

I choose my treatment based on severity of the problem.  For mild sleep problems a little bit of valerian tincture usually helps.  If not I'll add in some melatonin (usually 0.5mg).  I only resort to zopiclone when nothing else works, and usually that is in a really bad patch of feeling very unstable.  My aim is to gradually get off it and back onto the melatonin and valerian, and then gradually off those.  It is similar to the slow tapering idea we use for ADs, but over a shorter time frame.  I'm not trying to encourage people to take sleep meds, just sharing my experience to show that it is an option that can work for some people.

This sounds like a very reasonable approach to me. After 2 months of nightly insomnia, very little sleep, and barely making it through each day (at home), I need to stabilize my nervous system and get some rest. I'm at the point where even a triple dose of Lunesta (9 mg) only gives me 6 hrs of sleep. Maybe I can do what you're doing with Tamezepam, just to stabiize for a few weeks?

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

Hi Songbird,

It sounds like we have a very similar philosophy regarding sleep meds.  I have taken Tempazepam and Ambien CR on a PRN basis when I have had a horrible period of sleep to the point where my physical and mental health has severely deteriorated.   The only difference is I have decided that OTC stuff is horrible in getting me back to sleep so I just stick with the prescription stuff for now.

By the way, Ambien CR is going to be ditched as it has a very uneven record of providing benefits which means I will have to be very cautious with the Temazepam since even my sleep doctor has concerns about it even though she prescribed it for me since it is the only med that seems to help for my purpose.   Because it has less side effects, I had hoped it would be my number one option but after only giving me an additional hour of sleep the other night, it is history.

Anyway, last night, I started rereading a book on sleep which I will mention in the thread on sleep solutions which I hope will enable me to finally sleep without taking anything.

If I take Temazepam (Restoril) every night for two weeks, in order to catch up on sleep and calm my nervous system down, will I develop a tolerance to it?  Will I have to taper it slowly to avoid withdrawal?  What has your experience been with it?

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

Hi Lilu.

I have never even taken Temazepam two days in a row.   A few times, I took it every other day but recently, I haven't taken one for about 2 weeks.

I think I read that 3 weeks is about the time it takes for many people to develop a tolerance but of course, your mileage will vary.   I would be very careful if you chose to take it.   When a sleep doctor has concerns about a sleep med, that is a big time sign to be careful.

CS

• Moderator Emeritus

I use zolpidem (Ambien) when I travel, because I have to be able to go to sleep at times much different than my usual times. I use the smallest amount that works (I get an effect usually with a third to a half of a 5 mg tablet) and taper down over a few days when I get home. So far this has not been a problem for me.

But be cautious, I've seen a few people (rare, but it does happen) get into real trouble with Z drugs and have a hard time getting off them, just like benzos.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Somehow, the thought of taking it "every night for two weeks, in order to catch up on sleep and calm my nervous system down" would be great except the type of sleep and rest you will be getting won't be optimum. And not likely to heal your 'sleep architecture'. But what do I know, absolutely nothing. I make do with broken sleep.

When you try it, Lilu, please post in your topic and let us know how it works.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I have read other places on line that you shouldn't break or crush the pills, yet people here are talking about taking quarter and half doses.  Does breaking the pill in half cause any problem?

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, oops, I never asked anybody, just did it (the cutting). I don't know if it causes a problem, I can't remember the last time I took a whole one so I have nothing to compare it to. My PA seems to be okay with it, but that doesn't mean much, she's kind of clueless.

I should add that when I take Ambien, it does help me fall asleep earlier than I am ready to (which is when I take it, when I have to change my sleep schedule, usually due to travel). But I Feel Like Cr*p the next day. Cranky, unhappy, fearful, etc. Lasts till about noon.

I guess there's always a price. We folks on this forum should know, right?

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Mentor

Such an interesting thread.  Pills can be cut if they are not slow release.  So wish I had done the chop the tablet in half and try it thing before in my life, instead of just doing as the box says....live and learn.

Two years ago my doc was puzzled as to why I chopped up pills, I think he probably knows now... Psychiatry had this thing of a high dose is what we need, cause everyones brain is different...well if so, why not try a low dose?  Great marketing there.

I was on temazepam once, needed it, addicted of course.  The chemist decided to give me slow release temazepam, it was useless.  Temazepam "kicks you off to sleep"..... so what is the point of a slow release?  Anyway, dont think you will find slow release temazepam anymore (a failure :).)  

Anyway back on topic.   I PERSONALLY DO NOT RECOMMEND anyone take a new medication, not taken before, if they are on this website.  A new drug, might just send you off the planet.  Dont risk it.  If you try it, has to be done with a doctor.

I however, have that absolute terror, that happens after being on AD, that I will not sleep. And the fear builds up, the terror begins. One night not sleeping Ok, next night, not OK. I would regard 4 hours as OK. If I wasnt going thru WD, yes I would exercise, do all the hot baths and yoga, but it just doesnt work in WD, and I dont have that energy level to try these things.  I am housebound at present..

So for my tuppence worth?  if you take a benzo type thing, dont use it every day. And remember every up you get, ends with the down.  Might make you feel worse during the day. (Unless already addicted of course).  But other drugs are not so forgiving with the upping and downing of amounts.

However, my drug dependence included Seroquol previously.  that is my sleep med. The medical sheets dont always say this, but at low dose is only a sedative, not an antipsychotic.   I do not take it one night, and not the next, I keep it pretty stable.  But now i am considering halving the dose.  If that works for two days, I will give it up.  We all need a backup..........  Not sleeping sends us crazy, and when already suffering, knowing I will fall asleep, even just to wake up in the new morning of misery, does help me.   

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Mentor

I also tried OTC sleep meds, before any AD use.  They actually sent me crazy.  I was running, couldnt sit still, heart pounding.  It was horrific.  So dont trust OTC drugs either.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
I'm at the point where even a triple dose of Lunesta (9 mg) only gives me 6 hrs of sleep. Maybe I can do what you're doing with Tamezepam, just to stabiize for a few weeks?

If you are already using Lunesta, I wouldn't add another med into the mix.  Also in my experience temazepam doesn't give good quality sleep.  I believe zopiclone (which is similar to Lunesta) is less disturbing to natural sleep architecture.  6 hours of sleep actually isn't bad.  If you are getting 6 hours a night of reasonably quality sleep, it might be time to consider a tiny dose reduction.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

The one time I took Temazepam before going to bed vs. getting back to sleep was at my bipap titration sleep study.   I slept about 6 hours with about 1.5 hours of REM sleep which is a good thing.   When I got home, I was able to run errands I hadn't been able to do in months.  So obviously with meds, your mileage will vary.

Still, I stand by my previous comments to be very careful using this med because of the addiction potential.   And even it provides one great night of sleep doesn't mean it will do it on a consistent basis.

Anyway, I haven't used the med for about 3 weeks.   I am finding that if after waking up prematurely, if I can at least get to the point where I am can at least lay back down with the mask on with the goal of simply listen to a podcast, that gets me back to sleep and works almost as well as a med.   Still working on getting a consistent block of sleep that is restorative but that is another post.

• 4 months later...

Doxepin may be subscribed by your P Doc as a sleep aid for those with severe insomnia, from drug withdrawal.

If it is going to be used as a sleep aid rather then anti depressant, then low dose doxepin is what has shown to work best.   The recommended dose is  3-6 mg with  10mg as a maximum dose.  I'm not certain why but it's paradoxical,  the lower doses on doxepin is much more effective then higher doses for sleep with minimal side effects.

If you are going to try  doxepin, as a sleep aid make certain your P Doc is familiar with low dose doxepin. The name brand is Silenor which is doxepin marketed as strictly a sleep aid, and comes in 3 and 6 mg tablets.  It is very expensive, unless you can get   insurance to cover some of the cost.   However it does comes in liquid 10mg/ml generic form which is quite inexpensive.  The liquid will allow  you to titrate a smaller dose easily rather then the trying to use generic capsules. 

The generic form of doxepin may make you a bit hung over feeling  the next day for a few hours in the morning.  Try to start low and find the smallest dose that will work for you.  The brand name Silenor has a shorter peak level and blood levels taper off quicker the the generic and will make you less groggy in the morning.

I would start at 3mg  and see how it works for you.  Then titrate up if necessary with the maximum dose  for sleep being. 10mg.  I was on 6-7 mg doxepin and it helped my sleep  tremendously during my valium taper.

polyharmacy cocktail  FEB 2012 after hospital release , Wellbutrin 300mg xl once day, Lamictal 200mg daily, Klonopin 2mg Doxepin 7mg

Klonopin micro taper started Dec  2012, C/O to 20mg Valium 12/2013, down to 1.5mg as of 10/01/2014,  updose to 1.6mg valium Oct 10/2014, updosed 2mg valium December 18 2014

Wellbutrin taper from 300mg, started  Jan 2015,  Wellbutrin 275mg, Jan 24 2015,  wellbutrin 250 mg, Feb 25,2015   225mg wellbutrin June 5, 200mg,July 2015, updosed 225mg, September 2015, 206mg, October, 2015 187.5mg, November  updosed to 200mg  May 2015, wellbutri167mg

Currently     Wellbutrin 187mg,      Lamictal 200mg,   Valium 2mg,    Doxepin 5.4mg July 09/16

I have been on Doxepin 75mg for a migraine prevention. It helps me to sleep, I also think/hope that it helps me with WD. Unfortunately, it had an adverse effect when I was on 10mg of escitalopram (something to do with serotonin).

I think I will need to tapper it at some point...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

But Vet Doc, this has to be tempered with trying real sleep support like Alto has given you first. Doxepin is not necessarily a benign drug for everyone, you don't even know if it is contributing to your current problems.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

A lot of people have a heck of a time going off doxepin.

But Vet Doc, this has to be tempered with trying real sleep support

Meime

Yes it does and I'm not advocating anyone being put on any sleep med and I hope my above post doesn't imply that.    All sleep meds have side effects and all will need to be tapered at some time.   There is no doubt that establishing proper sleep hygiene and managing the meds you are on, without adding new ones is the best way to establish a normal sleep pattern.

However with that said, we will continually  hear of so many people who have  been put on Doxepin for sleep by their PDoc (myself included) and dosed at 50-75 mg.  These are ridiculously high doses and produce major side effects.    If those people are in such dire straights for sleep and are going to be prescribed doxepin by thier Doc, at least have it dosed properly as a sleep med. This is all I was trying to imply in my post.

Since it is well known now that low dose 3-6mg doxepin works for sleep, no one should ever be prescribed or take  doses higher then this.   The lower doses produce less side effects and tapering from 6mg will be a lot easier then tapering from 50 or 75mg.

Once again I am not advocating anyone who can't sleep to go ahead and start taking any sleep aid.  After all we are all trying to get off these poison meds, not add more that  will have to be tapered  at some point.

Meime I see you started taking metformin.  When were you diagnosed with diabetes.  I was just diagnosed with Type II diabetes and I am on Metformin also.  Do you get gastric side effects from taking it.  It gives me severe indigestion and stomach pains.

polyharmacy cocktail  FEB 2012 after hospital release , Wellbutrin 300mg xl once day, Lamictal 200mg daily, Klonopin 2mg Doxepin 7mg

Klonopin micro taper started Dec  2012, C/O to 20mg Valium 12/2013, down to 1.5mg as of 10/01/2014,  updose to 1.6mg valium Oct 10/2014, updosed 2mg valium December 18 2014

Wellbutrin taper from 300mg, started  Jan 2015,  Wellbutrin 275mg, Jan 24 2015,  wellbutrin 250 mg, Feb 25,2015   225mg wellbutrin June 5, 200mg,July 2015, updosed 225mg, September 2015, 206mg, October, 2015 187.5mg, November  updosed to 200mg  May 2015, wellbutri167mg

Currently     Wellbutrin 187mg,      Lamictal 200mg,   Valium 2mg,    Doxepin 5.4mg July 09/16

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy