Caz99 need advice after coming off sertraline

Caz99

Hi everyone

Just looking for some advice as I think I may be having withdrawal symptoms. I took 50mg for 2 weeks, 100mg for 5 months then 50mg for 3 weeks and stopped the sertraline, this was at the advice of my GP.

For the first week after stopping i had some dizziness then felt back to normal for a few days, then for the last 2 weeks I have had headaches, numbness down the right side of my body, losing my balance quite often, dizzy, exhausted, basically can't do much.

I have spoke to numerous dr's who all maintain that this can't be caused by coming off the sertraline, I have had ct & mri scans, blood tests which were all normal.

What are your thoughts? 

If this is sertraline withdrawal how much longer is this likely to last?

Thanks 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Caz99 need advice after coming off sertraline
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Caz and welcome to SA,

Unfortunately not many medical professionals recognise psychiatric drug withdrawal symptoms and adverse reactions.  That is the reason why this site exists.

When we stop a psychiatric drug too quickly we experience withdrawal symptoms because the brain has adapted to getting the drug and once we stop it the brain tries to work out what it needs to do to fix not having the drug that it was used to getting:  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Are you currently taking any other drugs or supplements?

Have taken them in the past and stopped them?

If yes, please provide the details of those as well.  Thank you.

We need to know the exact dates of when you took the different doses of sertraline.  Please list them like this example:

Sertraline: 

Starting date, dose

date, dose

date, dose

etc

Date last taken, dose

Depending on when you stopped sertraline, reinstatement of a small amount might be an option.  Once we have the requested information we will have a better idea of whether you might be able to try a reinstatement of the sertaline.  Please do not reinstate yet, because if reinstatement is an option we can suggest a dose, which will likely be a lot less than what you would try.  It is better to start with a low dose and increase by a small amount than to risk taking too much.

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi

I'm not currently taking any medications and I never have in the past apart from the Setraline this year, I started Sertraline 2nd March 50mg daily then upped to 100mg from 16th March to 27th July then 50mg 28th July to 18th August which was my last dose.

Thanks for helping 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for detailing your sertraline doses and dates.

Sertraline - 2020

50mg         2nd March - 15th March

100mg      16th March - 27th July

50mg         28th July - 18th August

Please create your drug signature.  You can copy and paste the above drug information.  This link goes straight to your signature.  Remember to Save. 

So you've been off for 3 weeks.  You could try reinstating 5mg Zoloft.  It is better to start with a low dose and increase if needed (by a small amount) than to risk taking too much.

It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  You will need to be patient during this time.  If after one week your symptoms are still unbearable please let us know and we can suggest what amount you could updose.

Keep notes on paper so that you can be objective about your symptoms  You might pick up from the notes that there has been an improvement, but you may not notice it.

Please read Post #1 of this topic:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This topic explains how to get the dose you need:

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Please continue to let us know how you are doing.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management