lolo1918: side effects- paresthesias

lolo1918

I’m typically on a dose of 262.5mg of venlafaxine, and recently (3 week ago) with the seasonal changes we increased my medication to 300mg. Last week I started having weird spells where I get this, numbing, loss of muscle function in my right arm and no ability to talk. The symptoms look very similar to a stroke and last for about 1hr in total. 

we have been trying to figure this out because I also have epilepsy, however I have never had experiences like this before, and my seizure I never am conscious of what is happening. With this episodes that are taking place I am fully aware of everything and know that I am unable to move my arm, leg, mouth or speak. 

I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of this taking place. I have let my doctor know that I want to lower my prescription back down to 262.5mg to see if the episodes I’m having stop, but also wondering if anyone has similar stories or experiences. 

Edited by manymoretodays
moved from S and S care, name added to title

Venlafaxine (Effexor) increased from 262.5mg to 300mg September 23rd 2020. Decrease to 262.5mg October 15 2020

Carbamazepine 600mg twice daily 2002-present

Divalproex 250mg twice daily 2015. Increased 625mg twice daily June 2020. Increased 750mg twice daily October 13th 2020

Lacosamide 100mg twice daily 2014

Topiramate 300mg twice daily 2016. 

Ativan 2mg as required during seizure. Max dose 4mg daily

Supplement: Multivitamin, Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, Omega 3, Calcium, Magnesium Citrate

• manymoretodays changed the title to lolo1918: Side effects- paresthesias
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, lolo1918.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Paresthesia as a side effect at higher doses of Venlafaxine is apparently is not uncommon.  The following link is about dose-related paresthesia with Venlafaxine.

(PDF) Dose-Related Paresthesias With Venlafaxine

Numbness is also a known side effect.

Can venlafaxine cause numbness?
This will decrease the chance of side effects, such as agitation, confusion, headache, irritability, numbness or tingling feeling, restlessness, trouble sleeping, or unusual drowsiness or weakness.

If you're going to drop back to 262.5, I'd do it soon.  Side effects tend to diminish as dosage is lowered.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to lolo1918: side effects- paresthesias

I have been having a similar symptom. My dominant right arm gets extremely weak and numb to the point of having trouble brushing my hair or teeth. It comes and goes nearly every day. It is so distressing.

Sumatriptan - Started 1999 (100 mg x 10 per month) Stopped April 2020 - Restarted September 2020

Rizatriptan - Started 2007 (10 mg x 10-15 per month) Stopped April 2020 - Restarted September 2020