DesignInMalice: mirtazapine

DesignInMalice

So, I began taking mirtazapine in January 2020, began with 15mg/day and increased to 30mg/day after 2 weeks

June 1st I decided to start tapering, went down by 3,75mg EO week until I was at 15mg/day. I stayed on 15mg/day until august 2020 cause once I got down to that it felt like it was going to fast and I got withdrawals.

In august I went down to 11,25mg/day. Stayed on that until the 2nd week of september, then I reduced the dose o 7,5mg/day for 1,5 weeks. I got too excited cause it didn't feel too bad and went down to 3,75mg/day for 2 days. At that point I felt like complete **** and went back to 7,5mgs for a couple days. I wanted to taper down to 6mgs and decided to just put a 30mg tablet in 50mls of water and let it dissolve, mix it and using a syringe to draw out exactly 10ml which was 6mgs. Put it in a glass of water and pulled back normal water to make sure that everything got out so the doses would be the same everytime. Since water evaporates and it would be impossible to get the same dose everytime if you didn't make new solutions. Since I didn't wanna make new ones everyday I just made one and filled 3 syringes and once they were all emptied I made a new solution. 

I decided to cut down the dose every 2 weeks and just go with my gut feeling to know how much I can handle at each reduction. It was 6mg/day to 4,5mg/day to 3,75mg/day. The withdrawal effects I get are itchiness, irritability, anxiety and sh*tty sleep quality. They last roughly 4-6 days after dose reductions. One that isn't disappearing however is adrenaline rushes from some things like gambling, introducing myself to new people or situations where I'm under pressure. I've never been the type of guy to get nervous to the point where my heart races this hard, not even under pressure.

I can deal with all the symptoms, I still function so its fine. 

What I want to know is: How low should the dose be before I quit? How long does it take for symptoms to disappear after quitting? I know you can't say exactly how long it will take. But perhaps you could give me an estimate given the fact that I was able to taper fairly quickly without to harsh side effects.

• ChessieCat changed the title to DesignInMalice: mirtazapine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, DesigninMalice.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you probably know, you're tapering much faster than we recommend.  If that's what you want to do, that's your decision.  I would urge you to read the following link and to slow down. Withdrawal symptoms can be delayed, and the lower doses of these drugs are the most potent.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The symptoms you describe are typical withdrawal symptoms.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

To answer your questions:

1.  We recommend tapering down into the 0.00's in mg.  I jumped to zero from Lexapro at 0.025.  
2.  There is no way to predict how long withdrawal symptoms will persist after stopping the drug.  There is no way to give a meaningful estimate.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome DIM,

So you are now on 3.75 mg of the mirtazapine?

You may want to just HOLD again for a bit there before rushing on to taper completely off.

There is no prize for tapering too quickly.

The rule of 3KIS: simple, slow, stable

I'll also include the Tips for Tapering mirtazapine(Remeron) in case you have not seen this yet.  You'll find information on getting the smaller doses needed for a harm reduction taper there.

And okay, best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing