Glenn: beginning my journey with tapering seroxat/Paxil

Glenn

Starting my withdraw slowly. From a 18 year Seroxat/Paxil Medicated addiction :(

Down to 7ml a day now and tapering and observing myself every 4 to 6 weeks! 1 ml at a time :) 

My question is to any one who has ever gone through this? Once I get to say 1ml a day then go to 0 what were peoples experiences?  Do certain side affects stay until the brain fully recovers from Paxil :) 

Paxil 2002 - 2020 20mg 

2020 feb - March 2020 Taper too fast 

March 2020 - June 2020 20mg

June 2020-August taper to 10mg 

August 2020 -November 2020 down to 7mg
December 2020  6.3mg

i will continue 10% reduction every 4 to 6 weeks depending on how feeling 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Glenn: beginning my journey with tapering seroxat/Paxil
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Glenn and welcome to SA,

I'm pleased to see that you have been tapering your Paxil.  However if you continue at the rate you mentioned you will be going too quickly.  See further down in post.

Please create your drug signature following these instructions.  Please include ALL drugs/supplements, current AND previous.  And please use mg for your dose, not mL.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature
Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Please post advising that you have created your drug signature.  I will then be notified of this; creating the signature does not notify me.

SA recommends tapering by no more than10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  See the comparison graphs at the bottom of Post #1:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Reducing from 7mL to 6mL is a 14.2857% decrease (regardless of the dose being in mg or mL).  And each reduction of 1mL after that will be a larger percent reduction.

Once we have your drug signature (please ensure that you show the dates and the doses so we can clearly see your taper details) and the other information requested below we will be better able to offer suggestions of how to proceed.  However, I suggest that you DO NOT reduce from 7mL to 6mL.  Many members find that the lower their dose gets the slower they need to go.  See:

Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

Many members of SA who are tapering Paxil have found it difficult to get off, especially at the lower doses (this is apart from members taking another drug and having to slow down).  I would urge caution with your taper from now on.  This topic explains how to get your dose:

Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat)

Q:  What form of Paxil are you using?  If it is liquid, what is the strength?

Q:  Are you experiencing withdrawal symptoms?  What are they?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

WDnormal

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

Once I get to say 1ml a day then go to 0 what were peoples experiences?

when-to-end-the-taper-and-jump-to-zero

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

Do certain side affects stay until the brain fully recovers from Paxil

You might also find some of the information in this topic helpful:

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

My question is to any one who has ever gone through this?

We other members who are tapering or who have tapered Paxil.  Use a search engine and search for:

site:survivingantidepressants.org paxil paroxetine seroxat

To find members who have already tapered Paxil successfully go to Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal search for individual drug names (one at a time) by going to the search box top right and clicking This Forum and typing in the drug name and clicking on the magnifying glass.

This is your own Introduction topic which is the best place to ask questions about your own situation and to journal your progress.

Part of SA's mission is to educate the medical profession about psychiatric drugs.  There is a wealth of information and support on this site which SA provided at no cost.  One small way that SA members can make a difference and "pay it forward" is to continue to post about their tapering journey, both good and bad.  Thank you. 

From aboutsurvivingantidepressantsorg

On 5/15/2011 at 5:22 AM, Altostrata said:

With our documentation of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, we hope to educate the medical establishment about this problem. Case studies are essential; they are evidence understood by doctors, the psychiatric industry, and government regulatory agencies. They have already informed numerous articles in major publications and scientific papers.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Paxil 2012-2109 20mg a day 

Paxil 2020 10mg

Early March 2020 tried to taper way to fast and ruined me :(

June 2020 back on 20mg

July to November tapered down to 7mg a day I feel ok 

Plan to taper 1 mg every 6 weeks plus listen to you guys :) poss have breaks through the way 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote before merging with intro topic

Paxil 2002 - 2020 20mg 

December 2020  6.3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Please write your drug history in this format, with no commentary:

Paxil:  2012-2019:  20mg

2020:

Date, dose; date, dose; date, dose; etc

The date is the date you made the dose change, the dose is the new dose you started taking.  Thank you.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
30 minutes ago, Glenn said:

July to November tapered down to 7mg a day I feel ok 

Plan to taper 1 mg every 6 weeks plus listen to you guys

Did you see my post above?  This is NOT RECOMMENDED.  See my previous post for details.

A 10% reduction of 7mg is 7 x 0.9 = 6.3mg

The next reduction would be 6.3mg x 0.9 = 5.67mg.  If you decided to round the figure for easier dosing you would round up, not down so as to stay under 10% reduction.  If you decided to take 5.7mg then the next reduction will be calculated on 5.7mg not 5.67mg.

Edited by ChessieCat

34 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Please write your drug history in this format, with no commentary:

Paxil:  2012-2019:  20mg

2020:

Date, dose; date, dose; date, dose; etc

The date is the date you made the dose change, the dose is the new dose you started taking.  Thank you.

Edited by Glenn

Paxil 2002 - 2020 20mg 

December 2020  6.3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Until you provide the information requested we are not able to assist you further.

Please note that if you continue making the large reductions that you have planned you could end up experiencing bad withdrawal symptoms.  Once this happens there is no guarantee that you will return to your previous state even if you make an updose.  We have members here who have tried to go too fast and in the end it has taken them longer to get off their drug than if they had followed SA's tapering protocol, and at times during that period they have been suffering to varying degrees, some for months. 

Please see Post #1 of this topic About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms where it states:

The topic is about reinstatement but much of it relates to updosing as well.

On 10/9/2012 at 10:17 AM, Altostrata said:

.. we advocate gradual tapering to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Once the nervous system is destabilized by withdrawal, all bets are off. Humpty Dumpty the egg has fallen off the wall.