Robins: Olanzapine tapering

Robins

Hello... I was prescribed with 10mg of olanzapine for Paranoid Schizophrenia. I taked it for 7 mos. I talked to my psychiatrist about the negative effects and decided to decrease to 5mg. I'm currently taking it for 4 months and decided on my own to taper down. I cut the 5mg pill into 4. Hahahahahaha. Then taked the 3 pieces. I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Edited by manymoretodays
Incomplete, name to title(mmt)
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Robins: Olanzapine tapering
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Robins.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

It looks like you're tapering too fast. We recommend tapering no faster than 10% per month, based on the previous month's dose (not the original dose).

Please see:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off olanzapine (Zyprexa)

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in your taper.  You may benefit from a small updose if your symptoms are severe, but please let us know more information about your drug history first.