Mel1 Please offer advice about reinstatement

Mel1

Hello,

Here is my story. I started 30 mg of Cymbalta in November 2019, taken for eight weeks. I began a gradual taper on February 1, 2020 until now. I am currently taking 1 mg of Cymbalta.

on February 19 I started taking a natural supplement, milk thistle. I stopped the supplement after five days because I discovered it interferes with Cymbalta metabolism and I got a severe migraine. Two days later I started another supplement, DIM, which I stopped six days later because I learned it interfered with Cymbalta metabolism. On February 26 I developed a severe pressure headache with a small 30 second bout of bad tinnitus. It was while taking DIM. I stopped the supplement five days later. On March 2 one day before stopping DIM, developed severe tinnitus that has not remitted in two weeks. Since that time I have developed a lot of other withdrawal symptoms: balance problems, fulness in my ears, headaches nearly daily, brain Zox, nausea, panic, and depression.

I have looked very carefully at the medical literature to see what affect the two supplements had with my Cymbalta to see if reinstating would make sense. In a nutshell, I believe the supplements had the effect of increasing the length of time for Cymbalta to be absorbed, and increasing the bio availability, significantly. If my math is correct with the supplements in my body, it would’ve been like taking over 4 mg (instead of 1mg), every other day or even every third day.  (Instead of everyday).  Whole time I was actually continuing to take my 1 mg.

it has been two weeks since I stopped the supplements altogether, and have remained on my 1 mg, but symptoms seems to be getting worse by the day. Can you please give me your best guess as to whether reinstating one bead might be helpful.

Sept. 17, 2019  - Oct. 1, 2019 - cipralex - 10mg
Oct. 10, 2019 - Nov. 3, 2019 - mirtazapine - taper after first 3 days - 15mg, 7.5mg, 3.75mg

Nov. 15 to Feb. 1, 2020 - Pregabalin - 125mg - then began gradual taper on February 1, 2020 - (10% every two weeks) until present (March 22, 2921) Currently at 1mg

Nov. 22 to February 1, 2020 - Cymbalta - 30mg - then began gradual taper 10% every two weeks, then 1 bead every two to three weeks for the final 8 mg.  Currently at 1mg (March 22, 2021)

Nov. 15 to February 1 - zolpidem - 10mg - then gradual taper over next month.

Nov. 15 to February 1 - Lorazepam - 1mg as needed. Use one, on average once monthly now.

• Altostrata changed the title to Mel1 Please offer advice about reinstatement
  • Administrator

Welcome, Mel.

It could be that your symptoms are not directly related to the supplements, but are withdrawal symptoms that coincidentally showed up in the last month or so. 

If I were you, I might go back to perhaps 2mg Cymbalta. How are you measuring your dose?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you. I am counting beads. I’m at 6 beads which equals 1 mg. I’ve considered that, but so scared of making things worse. I’ve been dropping bead by bead every three weeks for awhile now, and have had few problems with each drop. I considered that it could simply be my reaction to the one bead drop, as I know it gets difficult in the lower doses. But the FDA prescribing guide, clearly says what the effects are when taking other drugs or supplements that use those liver enzymes. What I am going through is really extreme.  I’ve had all the symptoms of withdrawal, which I only ever read about, but did not have in the past. 

It has now been five or more weeks since I went from 7 beads to 6 beads. Do you still think that might work, given the length of time that has passed?

Sept. 17, 2019  - Oct. 1, 2019 - cipralex - 10mg
Oct. 10, 2019 - Nov. 3, 2019 - mirtazapine - taper after first 3 days - 15mg, 7.5mg, 3.75mg

Nov. 15 to Feb. 1, 2020 - Pregabalin - 125mg - then began gradual taper on February 1, 2020 - (10% every two weeks) until present (March 22, 2921) Currently at 1mg

Nov. 22 to February 1, 2020 - Cymbalta - 30mg - then began gradual taper 10% every two weeks, then 1 bead every two to three weeks for the final 8 mg.  Currently at 1mg (March 22, 2021)

Nov. 15 to February 1 - zolpidem - 10mg - then gradual taper over next month.

Nov. 15 to February 1 - Lorazepam - 1mg as needed. Use one, on average once monthly now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm sorry you are feeling badly.  Unfortunately, the withdrawal effects of tapering off psych meds can take some time to manifest, and the effects of the tapers could be catching up with you now.  And since these drugs tend to make many of our nervous systems so sensitive, it could be that you are also reacting to the supplements.  

First of all, can you please give us specific information about your drug history?  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This thread is very enlightening about why the symptoms are often delayed.  This issue is addressed in post 2, How Long the Bottom Line, the second paragraph.  

Are We There Yet - How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take

Tapering is best done extremely slowly, and we taper by 10% of the current dose, so that the taper becomes exponentially smaller.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Also, as we are tapering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 3 that many of us find helpful are magnesium, omega-3, and melatonin. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Melatonin

To answer your question, increasing the dose could work even though you decreased 5-6 weeks ago, but we can't be sure.  It is hard to say.  That is why we suggest a small increase.  It is best done very carefully.  Here is some information about reinstatement, which is similar to updosing.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

As I see it, there are 2 basic options:  

1. increase your dose as altostrata suggested by a small amount.  

2. Stay at the dose you are on.  

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly