TaylorsJourney Cross tapering paxil to effexor help

TaylorsJourney

I believe Jan of this year my paxil stopped working as I fell into a deep depression with extreme anxiety that I've only ever felt with Benzo withdrawal my GP tried me on risperidone which made me feel like I was fading away and had to stop, tried buspirone and had very little help so I'm now on effexor 75mg started at 37.5 and about to finish my last 10mg paxil in the next few days and my Symptoms are severe extremely anxious and unable to eat much I'm not sure what to do as even the clonazepam isn't helping the constant dread. I just feel lost.

2018 - 1mg Klonopin twice daily for 6 months quitting cold turkey.

Started paxil 10mg after quitting. 

2018-2021 - Paxil 30mg (upped slowly) 

2021 - JAN risperidone 1mg added.

FEB - risperidone d/c because severe side effects. Buspirone 5mg daily added.

APRIL - buspirone D/c Started Effexor 37.5 and reducing paxil 10mg/2wks. Clonazepam 1mg twice daily.

May - Effexor upped to 75mg 

• Altostrata changed the title to TaylorsJourney Cross tapering paxil to effexor help
  • Administrator

Welcome, @TaylorsJourney

I am sorry you're going through these unsuccessful drug experiments by your GP. It's very possible you have Paxil withdrawal symptoms even though Effexor is supposed to be a substitute. Paxil is a very difficult drug to go off.

If I were you, I'd stop changing drugs right now. It appears the conversion to Effexor is unsuccessful. You might do better with a substitution of perhaps 10mg Prozac (fluoxetine).

This is a site for going off drugs. It appears your intention is to switch drugs in order to stay on an antidepressant. That's your doctor's job. If you decide you want to go off, please let us know.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

5 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @TaylorsJourney

I am sorry you're going through these unsuccessful drug experiments by your GP. It's very possible you have Paxil withdrawal symptoms even though Effexor is supposed to be a substitute. Paxil is a very difficult drug to go off.

If I were you, I'd stop changing drugs right now. It appears the conversion to Effexor is unsuccessful. You might do better with a substitution of perhaps 10mg Prozac (fluoxetine).

This is a site for going off drugs. It appears your intention is to switch drugs in order to stay on an antidepressant. That's your doctor's job. If you decide you want to go off, please let us know.

Thank you for your response it means alot ❤️ With the effects I've been having I am planning to get off of all medications at what pace I can (My mother is my inspiration as she's been dealing with the same issues I do her whole life without medication) I was going to continue the taper of paxil (possibly slower with some guidance if possible)  and hopefully stabilize as much as possible on my current dose of effexor so I can taper the Clonazepam slightly more comfortably (very fearful of that because of my previous C/T experience) and once I've stabilized from that as much as possible I want to remove effexor slowly and get to a A/D free life my GP has finally admitted to me that he cannot help me because he does not have enough knowledge on the subject so I'm trying to find a understanding DR or psychiatrist will support my slow retreat of the drugs (which I know will be difficult) but I want to WANT to live again not just stare out the window and be indifferent with life that's no way to live. 

APRIL - buspirone D/c Started Effexor 37.5 and reducing paxil 10mg/2wks. Clonazepam 1mg twice daily.

• Administrator

How do you feel back on 75mg Effexor? Are you still taking clonazepam? If yes, at what times of day and dosages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

55 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How do you feel back on 75mg Effexor? Are you still taking clonazepam? If yes, at what times of day and dosages

I'm feeling very lethargic and anxious with no appetite I just want to hide in my bed because I'm so overwhelmed. I am also still taking 10mg paxil which is only because of fear that I was reducing too quickly, I am taking 1mg clonazepam once in the morning and once before bed around 10am/pm  I've been trying to get up and go for a walk but I just end up sleeping the next few hours somehow still anxious.

• Administrator

Thanks for that information. How long have you been taking 10mg Paxil with 75mg Effexor this last time around? When did you start taking 10mg Paxil again? How did you feel after you increased it to 10mg?

Some of your symptoms may be from the clonazepam rather than Paxil. 

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

39 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Thanks for that information. How long have you been taking 10mg Paxil with 75mg Effexor this last time around? When did you start taking 10mg Paxil again? How did you feel after you increased it to 10mg?

Some of your symptoms may be from the clonazepam rather than Paxil. 

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

Just over 2 weeks. I made it down to 10mg from 30mg paxil in 4 weeks  and that's when the withdrawl/crash really kicked in. I didn't reinstate the paxil I just never finished my cross taper because of the side effects so I kind of froze up and have been on 75mg effexor XR and 10mg paxil  scared to drop that last 10mg. I do feel like the clonazepam is not helping me function at all rather just sedating me a bit but am unsure how to go about slowly pulling it back as I know it can take time for a small adjustments to take effect with such long halflifes. My cognitive ability/perception are a little off so I have been getting a family member to help keep track of times and symptoms and will try my best to do so. Thank you again for your response it means alot 

• Administrator

Why are you still taking Effexor?

Need to see those daily notes. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Why are you still taking Effexor?

Need to see those daily notes. Thanks.

Purely because I'm scared of a severe depression relapse and my Dr is giving me little to no advice.

7:30Am-9:30 wake up with feeling of dread and fear to leave bed. 

10:30Am eat banana and take 1mg clonazepam 10mg paxil and 75mg venlafaxine. 

12pm Become very lethargic from clonazepam and try to talk to people or go for a walk but usually end up in bed.

4pm I am able to pull myself out of bed and try to talk to people (very depressed and lethargic) 

5:30pm take pantoprazole 40mg forgot to add to medications and attempt to eat about 30-60 minutes after taking it.

6:15 eat small bowl of rice,chicken and carrots. Do feel a bit better cognitively after eating and usually try to reach out and talk to people although still fighting waves of abdominal discomfort and panic.

7-10pm is my calmest time of the night I find I'm able to ignore some abdominal discomfort at times and watch some calm YouTube videos while talking to a few close friends still some waves of very intrusive negative thinking.

10-10:30pm take clonazepam 1mg and melatonin with magnesium

Within a couple hours I'm calm enough can usually get to sleep.

• Administrator

Obviously, that dosage of clonazepam is too much for you. When it wears off a bit, you feel better.

Also, you should be aware a common adverse effect of benzos is "depression".

If I were you, I'd gradually step down to 0.75mg per dose for a week and then 0.5mg per dose.

Because of the clonazepam, it's impossible to tell what the Paxil and Effexor are doing. It's highly irregular to take 10mg Paxil with 75mg Effexor.

If what you're afraid of is a relapse of "depression", I'm not sure what we can do for you. We don't treat depression here. If you don't feel you can reduce your drugs because you need them to treat whatever, not sure how we can help you.

It's really your doctor's job to monitor you after dumping a drug cocktail on you. If your doctor doesn't know what he's doing, he shouldn't be prescribing these drugs. Perhaps you should look for another doctor.

23 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Obviously, that dosage of clonazepam is too much for you. When it wears off a bit, you feel better.

Also, you should be aware a common adverse effect of benzos is "depression".

If I were you, I'd gradually step down to 0.75mg per dose for a week and then 0.5mg per dose.

Because of the clonazepam, it's impossible to tell what the Paxil and Effexor are doing. It's highly irregular to take 10mg Paxil with 75mg Effexor.

If what you're afraid of is a relapse of "depression", I'm not sure what we can do for you. We don't treat depression here. If you don't feel you can reduce your drugs because you need them to treat whatever, not sure how we can help you.

It's really your doctor's job to monitor you after dumping a drug cocktail on you. If your doctor doesn't know what he's doing, he shouldn't be prescribing these drugs. Perhaps you should look for another doctor.

Thank you very much I'm going to try to see if I can slightly reduce the clonazepam to help with some symptoms, In my mental state right now im genuinely afraid of everything Its not that I believe I need them I'm just deathly afraid to make things worse I'm starting to accept that things will get worse before they get better. i appreciate the Support. In your opinion which ssri drug should I be looking to eliminate first? I was going to start splitting the 10mg paxil tablets In the AM but wasn't sure. 

I should add I am currently seeing a social worker/councillor/seeking other professional help and definitely looking for another Dr as he just treats me like a nuisance I only started paxil when I withdrew from clonazepam instead of giving me ANY type of tapering schedule. If I'd known I would've just never taken the Klonopin in the first place. 

• Administrator

Why do you want to split the Paxil dosage?

How long have you been taking 75mg Effexor? In what form is your Effexor? Is it a capsule with mini-tablets inside?

5 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Why do you want to split the Paxil dosage?

How long have you been taking 75mg Effexor? In what form is your Effexor? Is it a capsule with mini-tablets inside?

Thought it might be easier to get off if I did so, but I'm not sure. I have been taking it for about 3 weeks it is the XR with the beads 

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd reduce the Effexor to 37.5mg. You've been taking 75mg for less than 2 weeks, correct?

I'm still looking for this:

On 5/17/2021 at 7:08 PM, Altostrata said: