SkydiverSZ: Lexapro withdrawal

SkydiverSZ

Hi,

I don't really know where to start. And I am not sure if I remember all the dates and medications I have been on, as the last 20 years are just a blur. Also I want to mention that english is not my first language. And please excuse the bad formatting as I am typing this on my mobile phone.

My name is Daniel and I am 39 years old. My journey with ADs started roughly 20 years ago. I have struggled extremely with social anxiety during my apprenticeship, which let me to beeing prescribed Clomipramine ( can't remember the dosage). I remember the first weeks beeing absolute hell with side effects. My social anxiety got a bit better and I was able to finish my apprenticeship.

Roughly two years later, in 2001, I was switched to Citalopram 10mg and then to 20mg after a year or two, which worked better for me. From this time till late 2017 my mental health has been very unstable and I have quit cold turkey many times and tried most other ADs on the market. But I always came back to Citalopram after a month or two. I was looking for a magic pill to cure my social anxiety. During these years I have become addicted to alcohol, as a way to ease my anxiety and to be able to have a social life. In late 2016 after another CT coming of citalopram, and beeing given Lyrica to try out, I took an overdose of the Lyrica in an attempt to end my suffering. I ended up in hospital and after that I restarted citalopram once again.

My anxiety never improved after that and I started missing days at work. In late 2017 I decided I had enough of ADs, as I have finally realized that they are doing more harm than good. I went cold turkey and the first weeks weren't to bad. Then around christmas time I started to develop muscle and joint pains all over my body. I became intolerant to the slightest bit of physical and mental activity and extremely sensitive to sound. I remember the day when I broke down completely. I wasn't able to move, talk or even breath properly. I thought I was dying. After loads of tests, my GP diagnosed me with CFS/ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). She believed it was cause by a viral infection I had earlier in 2017. I am now a 100% sure that my CFS was caused by AD WD.

Since that day I haven't been able to work and I am receiving disability benefits now. I managed till June 2018 without ADs but my symptoms were so bad now that I was bed bound. At this time I was diagnosed with POTS (dysautonomia). And got prescribed Escitalopram 10mg and Propranolol 80mg. I got a bit better after that and wasn't bed bound anymore. Still not able to work though. I started drinking again to cope with life and developed a stomach ulcer and acid reflux. My GP prescribed Omeprazole for the stomach issues and all hell broke loose. I thought I am going crazy. I also started to develop liver pain and my bloods were coming back with elevated liver enzymes. I found out through my own research that escitalopram and omeprazole have major interactions as they are metabolized by the same liver enzyme. Studies I have found indicate that omeprazole raises escitalopram blood levels by 100%. So basically my dose has been doubled. I stopped taking omeprazole and my liver enzymes are back to normal now. Fast forward to March 2021 and I decided to quit escitalopram CT. Since quitting my urge to drink alcohol has completely disappeared and I haven't had a drop since. But my CFS symptoms and anxiety are back in full force and I am house bound again. I have found this forum a couple of weeks ago and after reading how bad cold turkey was I reinstated at 2.5mg. This didn't work for me and I believe I had mild serotonin syndrome and quit again. I have sworn to myself that I will never touch an AD again in my life. The plan is now to just let my body and brain recover, doesn't matter how long it will take or how hard it will be. Thanks for reading my story.

1999-2001 Clomipramine (can't remember dosage)

2001-2003 Citalopram 10mg

2003-2017 Citalopram 20mg (tried various other SSRI and SNRI during this period but always came back to Citalopram after a month or two)

Late 2017 Citalopram Cold Turkey

June 2018- March 2021 Escitalopram 10mg + 80mg Propranolol

March 2021 Escitalopram Cold turkey 

April 2021 reinstated at 2.5mg and quit again after 3 days.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, SkydiverSZ.  Thank you for completing your drug signature.  Please include your reinstatement dose and date, which you wrote was a couple of weeks ago.  Also include the date you quit again.  Here's the link for adding this information.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

You reinstated much higher than we would have recommended, which may explain why your reinstatement didn't work.  In the time between your cold turkey and your reinstatement, your system had gotten somewhat accustomed to not having the drug and the 2.5mg was too much for you.  We would have recommended a reinstatement of 1 mg.

I understand your decision never to touch an AD again and to tough it out, and that is fine.  You will recover in time.  Unfortunately we can't predict the how much time it will take.

If you decide you want to reinstate 1mg, please let us know and we can help you with that process.  Please do not reinstate without letting us advise you.  

The symptoms you describe after going CT in 2017 and what was diagnosed as CFS symptoms (as well as anxiety)anxiety are typical of antidepressant withdrawal.  Here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can update your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, Gridley.

I will look into Magnesium and Omega 3.

I just want to explain my decision to tough it out this time, as I understand that this might not be suitable for many people and reinstatement is recommended in certain cases.

After beeing diagnosed with CFS I started on Escitalopram which eased symptoms a bit, but never completely got rid of it. I was still not able to work and mostly home bound. So reinstating now will probably not make that much of a difference to me as I am either house or bend bound anyway. I have already lost a couple of years of my life by now and just want to close this chapter as soon as possible. Also I have a very understanding wife, who fully supports me in my decision. Reading all the success stories on here also gives me lots of hope and I am trying to be as positive as I can. 

Finding this forum and realising that I am not going crazy and that I am not alone in my suffering helped me already massively. 

1999-2001 Clomipramine (can't remember dosage)

2001-2003 Citalopram 10mg

2003-2017 Citalopram 20mg (tried various other SSRI and SNRI during this period but always came back to Citalopram after a month or two)

Late 2017 Citalopram Cold Turkey

June 2018- March 2021 Escitalopram 10mg + 80mg Propranolol

March 2021 Escitalopram Cold turkey 

April 2021 reinstated at 2.5mg and quit again after 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain as i feel im in a very similar situation and feel the doctors are trying to blame the alcohol for the issues i went through when im sure it wasnt

I cant thank you enough for signing up and leaving me that link , wish i could give you some decent advice but im stumped myself

Good luck mate