HopeForTomorrow: SSRI and benzo withdrawal

HopeForTomorrow

16 minutes ago, Frogie said:

@HopeForTomorrow

You don't want to taper multiple medications at the same time. If you have symptoms, you would not know which one is causing it.

Totally understand. One more question - if I can’t tolerate other PPI’s and the one I’m on is time released, do I just skip days until I’m off? I’m so sensitive to supplements, etc. to help acid reflux (I have a lot right now still even on PPI and eating a perfect diet with zero spices or acidity besides some fruit).

Also, I was taking PPI and Celexa at the same time for the last couple years. A couple days ago, I started taking Dexilant 30 minutes prior just in case it was affecting something. I noticed kind of an uptick in symptoms now when taking both. Should I go back to taking them together or keep them 30 minutes apart?

Celexa 10mg - 2012-2014 - "pooped out" Crossover to Paxil 20mg 2014 Crossover from Paxil to Lexapro 20mg 2016

Zofran (as needed every day for pregnancy) - October ‘19-May ‘20 - CT after delivery

Crossover from Lexapro to Celexa May 2020 - gradually increased to 30mg. Once hit 30mg, over a couple weeks started to have adverse reaction. Impending doom, akathisia/anxiety BAD for 2 weeks - took me 2 weeks to figure out it was Celexa since it was a delayed reaction Cold Turkey July 2020 Withdrawal hit hard - hypersexual. Discovered PGAD through google - freaked out thinking the only "cure" was medicine because that's what PGAD facebook group said...bad idea Prescribed Lorazepam for symptoms - around .25-.5mg/day -- Got on Lorazepam schedule of .125mg 3 times a day. October 2020 - Stabilized on 1mg Celexa and .375mg Lorazepam

Finally off Lorazepam April 2022, thank God!

Celexa reinstatement stopped PGAD mostly (still have random flares).

Dexilant 30mg - 2009 - August ‘23 - OFF

CURRENT MEDS--

Celexa 1mg (9:30am)- October 2020-Present (Decrease to .9mg 3/9/23 - updose back to 1mg 3/10/23)

Quercetin 250mg - September 22-Current for Post-Covid (Calms fight or flight, helped - if I stop, insomnia horribly)

@HopeForTomorrow

I would leave them 30 minutes apart. We actually suggest 2 hours apart from each medication.

When you do open the PPI, it will become immediate release. Just my experience (once again), I was on 2 PPI's. I did a 25% a week taper and then held a week or so and did the other one at 25%. 

Can you try ginger, tea, peppermint, crackers. I even bought Preggie Pops off of Amazon and they helped.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

1 hour ago, Frogie said:

@HopeForTomorrow

I would leave them 30 minutes apart. We actually suggest 2 hours apart from each medication.

When you do open the PPI, it will become immediate release. Just my experience (once again), I was on 2 PPI's. I did a 25% a week taper and then held a week or so and did the other one at 25%. 

Can you try ginger, tea, peppermint, crackers. I even bought Preggie Pops off of Amazon and they helped.

Got it. I’ll take PPI earlier then. 

For the PPI’s, you just converted it to immediate release? And did 4 cuts of 25%? 

I may also try a compound pharmacy to see if they can help too by any chance. 

Also, should I take .1mg of Celexa tonight to calm these horrible symptoms or wait until tomorrow to take the 1mg? I know it will be a long night but also want to be careful. 

Celexa 10mg - 2012-2014 - "pooped out" Crossover to Paxil 20mg 2014 Crossover from Paxil to Lexapro 20mg 2016

Zofran (as needed every day for pregnancy) - October ‘19-May ‘20 - CT after delivery

Crossover from Lexapro to Celexa May 2020 - gradually increased to 30mg. Once hit 30mg, over a couple weeks started to have adverse reaction. Impending doom, akathisia/anxiety BAD for 2 weeks - took me 2 weeks to figure out it was Celexa since it was a delayed reaction Cold Turkey July 2020 Withdrawal hit hard - hypersexual. Discovered PGAD through google - freaked out thinking the only "cure" was medicine because that's what PGAD facebook group said...bad idea Prescribed Lorazepam for symptoms - around .25-.5mg/day -- Got on Lorazepam schedule of .125mg 3 times a day. October 2020 - Stabilized on 1mg Celexa and .375mg Lorazepam

CURRENT MEDS--

Celexa 1mg (9:30am)- October 2020-Present (Decrease to .9mg 3/9/23 - updose back to 1mg 3/10/23)

Quercetin 250mg - September 22-Current for Post-Covid (Calms fight or flight, helped - if I stop, insomnia horribly)

@Altostrata @Frogie

So sorry to tag - hoping you can help tonight. Having some bad withdrawal symptoms after doing the 10% cut this morning. Akathisia, crawling out of skin and insomnia included - 

Obviously regretting the 10% cut. And now know I need to go back to 1mg and taper the PPI first. 

Do I take the .1mg tonight to counteract this or wait until tomorrow morning at the normal time to take 1mg?

Thanks so much 

CURRENT MEDS--

@HopeForTomorrow

You can take the updose tonight and then start taking the 1mg until you stabilize. Then start the PPI taper.

I did take 25% tapers as explained in the link I sent you. It was tough but I feel so much better not being on them now.

Keep us posted

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

1 hour ago, Frogie said:

@HopeForTomorrow

You can take the updose tonight and then start taking the 1mg until you stabilize. Then start the PPI taper.

I did take 25% tapers as explained in the link I sent you. It was tough but I feel so much better not being on them now.

Keep us posted

Thank you so much, Frogie! You are so helpful. I didn’t even see the link initially but just looked back and that was super helpful - thank you so much for your help. 

I’ll keep you posted. 

Have a great evening! 

CURRENT MEDS--

@HopeForTomorrow

I hope it goes well for you.

Please keep us posted.

9 hours ago, Frogie said:

@HopeForTomorrow

I hope it goes well for you.

Please keep us posted.

Update:

I didn’t take the .1mg last night. I just waited and went back up to 1mg this morning and felt somewhat better today as far as not crawling out of my skin. Had a migraine but a benzo withdrawal symptom.

It’s been about 10 hours and I’m getting waves of terror and shivers. The last time I felt this is when I had the adverse reaction to an updose at the very beginning. 

Just a background - I did okay at 20mg in the beginning. I was increased to 30mg (no immediate reaction but as it built up within a couple weeks, I all of a sudden started having the severe symptoms/reaction)

Is this normal right now or have I messed up? It just worries me that once I went back to the 1mg and it built up, I’m experiencing those symptoms again.

is it possibly my extremely sensitized nervous system was already starting to adjust to the .9mg? (even though it definitely didn’t like me messing with it)

CURRENT MEDS--

@HopeForTomorrow

I think it’s a normal reaction for your body.

I think that after you stabilize, you can do a small taper and get through it.

When I was tapering, I had a moderator tell me it’s like a tiger, don’t pull it by the tail. That’s when I learned to go slower and listen to my body.

I really think you’ll be ok😊

2 minutes ago, Frogie said:

@HopeForTomorrow

I think it’s a normal reaction for your body.

I think that after you stabilize, you can do a small taper and get through it.

When I was tapering, I had a moderator tell me it’s like a tiger, don’t pull it by the tail. That’s when I learned to go slower and listen to my body.

I really think you’ll be ok😊

Thank you so much, Frogie!

It’s so hard not to make quick decisions or changes as symptoms arise - especially when they remind you of past experiences. 

I think I’m just so scared to mess up or do something to make it worse so it really helps to get your advice and reassurance. 🤍 

CURRENT MEDS--

@HopeForTomorrow

It’s a very scary thing that you’ll mess up. But you know you body and you proved they yesterday. 

I think with another hold and doing a small taper, you’re going to do fine. You just have to trust yourself 😊

You’re going to do fine.

Edited by Frogie

5 hours ago, Frogie said:

@HopeForTomorrow

It’s a very scary thing that you’ll mess up. But you know you body and you proved they yesterday. 

I think with another hold and doing a small taper, you’re going to do fine. You just have to trust yourself 😊

You’re going to do fine.

As the night goes on, I am awake with inner restlessness, heart palpitations, shaking, nausea and insomnia. The night of the cut I slept good. 

Is this a sign of an adverse reaction to going back up to 1mg or is my body just trying to adjust? The waves of akathisia and doom are the reason I was cold turkeyed in the beginning and I’m having those same feelings. 

Wow, this is throwing me for a complete loop. I’m confused on why I’m having symptoms like I had with the adverse reaction in the beginning. Trying to figure out how to stabilize. 

I made the mistake of cutting when I was already unstable from benzo withdrawal antibiotic setback + dealing with a cold + lingering UTI symptoms. I’m hoping I didn’t mess up by going back up to 1mg the day after.

So sorry to bother again - it’s just when symptoms escalate to insomnia I start to get nervous. I’ve been in this for a while and sleep was decent prior to tonight, even with benzo withdrawal setbacks, etc. Especially nervous since I’m having these same feelings from the adverse reaction to updose in the beginning.  

I feel like I also need to add - I’m extremely sensitive and was before this. I have had to do a low histamine, low fodmap diet, eliminate all chemicals and move to clean products, sensitive to smells, shampoos, products with alcohol in them. I’m sensitive to of course medications, antibiotics, supplements, etc. and this has only gotten worse since getting off benzo. My nervous system feels every single tiny change or trigger, it’s extremely hard to manage and stay hopeful. 

Thank you Frogie! 

CURRENT MEDS--

@Altostrata are you on by any chance and can help? I’ve screwed up and trying to figure out what dose I should take today and stick to to try and stabilize. 

I was stable dealing with benzo withdrawal until UTI came. I took antibiotic, it didn’t help so did antibiotic shot. It still didn’t kick UTI symptoms so functional med docs wanted me to try a biofilm disruptor and Allicin (and Berberine but tried once didn’t react well) to knock the rest of it. Benzo setback happened after shot of rocephin antibiotic. But it was nothing compared to what this SSRI cut and updose has done to me. 

2/18 - UTI comes (been dealing with it off and on since January)

2/20 - 9:30am Celexa 1mg & Dexilant

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

night before bed - 1.5g fosfomycin (antibiotic)

2/23 -

9:30am Celexa 1mg & Dexilant

4pm - rocephin shot (antibiotic)

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

2/24 - 

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

8pm - biofilm disruptor

2/25 -
8am - Allicin 

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

2/26 -

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

8pm - Allicin

2/27 -

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

8pm - biofilm disruptor

2/28 - 

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

3/1 -
8am - Allicin

2pm - Berberine (didn’t love reaction so didn’t take again)

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

3/2 -
8am - Allicin

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

8pm - Allicin

3/3 -

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

8pm - Allicin

3/4 -

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

8pm - biofilm disruptor
9pm - Allicin

3/5 -

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

8pm - 2 Allicin

3/6 -

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

8pm - 2 Allicin at night

3/7 -
8am - Allicin

12pm - Allicin

6pm - Quercetin 500mg

3/8 - started spacing Celexa and Dexilant apart
9am - Dexilant
9:30am - Celexa 1mg

3/9 -
8:15am - Dexilant
9:30am - cut Celexa to .9mg

By 12pm, sleepy yet crawling out of skin.
          Akathisia type symptoms, stomach/nerve pain, foggy head, internal uneasiness
          2pm - heart palpitations, pacing, internal uneasiness, extreme irritability
          6pm - Quercetin 
          8pm - things started to calm a little
          11pm - 6am - sleep

3/10 -
9:30am Celexa 1mg
11:30am Dexilant 30mg

Stomach/nerve pain came back, Some symptoms calmed during the day - I wasn’t pacing but had terrible migraine and Brain on fire/blepharospams (blepharospams have been flared from benzo withdrawal setback from antibiotic for UTI)
           7pm - twitching in legs, waves of doom, spell of full body shivers/shakes,nausea, wave of doom then heart rate sky rockets - the last time I felt this was in the beginning of this nightmare. I was doing okay at 20mg Celexa and the doctor increased me to 30mg. No immediate reaction but after a couple weeks, the severe reaction started (insomnia, heart palpitations, shakes, pacing/akathisia). When I had this reaction for 2 weeks, I was then cold turkeyed which stopped that severe reaction but started other withdrawal symptoms that led me to this site.)
           9pm - things calmed down a bit
           10:30pm-12pm - sleep
            12pm - current - woke up so nauseous, nerve stomach pain, insomnia, heart racing, restless legs and twitching in legs, internal uneasiness, anxiety, impending doom spell followed by my heart rate will sky rocketing. 

I haven’t been this unwell (I’m not sure ever during this whole process). It’s physical and mental. It is very, very bad. 

My question is - What dose do I take this morning to try and stabilize at? 

It’s hard to believe a little over 2 weeks ago I was functional and now I’m severely bedridden. 

CURRENT MEDS--

@HopeForTomorrow

Your symptoms could be coming from the antibiotics and all the other things you have been taking for your UTI. An antibiotic can destabilize your body quite a bit.

I think after your body heals from the UTI and antibiotics, you should be ok.

Try to just do lots of self care, take a magnesium bath, tea, try small meals and lots of rest.

4 minutes ago, Frogie said:

@HopeForTomorrow

Your symptoms could be coming from the antibiotics and all the other things you have been taking for your UTI. An antibiotic can destabilize your body quite a bit.

I think after your body heals from the UTI and antibiotics, you should be ok.

Try to just do lots of self care, take a magnesium bath, tea, try small meals and lots of rest.

I definitely think that’s what started it. Then the cut just amplified it + going back to 1mg. I think just scared I’ve kindled or something. 

So definitely stay at 1mg?

CURRENT MEDS--

Yes. Definitely stay at the 1mg for a few weeks and we’ll see how you are doing.

3 hours ago, Frogie said:

Yes. Definitely stay at the 1mg for a few weeks and we’ll see how you are doing.

Okay, it almost feels like for some reason I'm taking too much - Idk why from just a day drop by 10% and going back up. Have I completely screwed up and kindled?

Also, are there any stories/hope for people who were cold-turkeyed like me, successful reinstatement at a low dose and then easier taper? I don't see at this point how I will ever be able to tolerate tapering if just this caused such a storm. This has been a gut punch and just trying to get a little hope from people extremely hypersensitive.

Like - is there people that held long enough to where their system calmed down so much that tapering was a lot easier? I'm still dealing with benzo withdrawal symptoms too which doesn't help.

This is distressing, I'm so sorry.

Also wanted to add - I wish before I messed with Celexa I would have came off PPI. I have recurring UTI's that doctors kept saying was "normal" but have now discovered long term use of PPI's cause recurring infections, including UTI's. Putting this here in case it helps someone else.

CURRENT MEDS--

On 3/14/2013 at 2:33 PM, Altostrata said:

If you've been tapering, then updose too much, the increased antidepressant may be activating.

Overstimulation is a common side effect of antidepressants. One of the symptoms is sleeplessness.

As you taper, your nervous system may adjust to the lower level of the drug. Then, if you jump up in dose, it reacts as though you're taking a higher dose than you've ever tolerated before.

@Altostrata - Can you take a look at my situation on my intro? It's very recent and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

I took advice 2 years ago and reinstated 1mg of Celexa after a cold turkey of 30mg Celexa and kindling. It worked - although, I had benzo withdrawal to deal with.

Recently, I cut 10% Celexa and started withdrawal symptoms/akathisia, sleepiness, fear/panic within several hours - it did calm down towards the evening and I slept.

The next dose, I went back to 1mg thinking that was just too big of a cut (and too soon with benzo withdrawal to be cutting - still need to get off PPI)

When I first went back to the 1mg, by evening I started having feelings I had when I had the adverse reaction from increased dose of Celexa. Zero sleep last night. Stayed with the 1mg this morning out of fear of kindling or doing the "up and down" but not sure I made the right choice.

Can you please give me your advice? I posted symptoms, as well.

I am one of those that are EXTREMELY hypersensitive and still have benzo withdrawal symptoms.

Thank you so much!

CURRENT MEDS--

Symptom log:

3/9 -
8:15am - Dexilant
9:30am - cut Celexa to .9mg

6pm - Quercetin 
          8pm - things started to calm a little
          11pm - 6am - sleep

3/10 -
9:30am Celexa 1mg

Stomach/nerve pain came back, Some symptoms calmed during the day - I wasn’t pacing but had terrible migraine and Brain on fire/blepharospams (blepharospams have been flared from benzo withdrawal setback from antibiotic for UTI)
           7pm - twitching in legs, waves of doom, spell of full body shivers/shakes,nausea, wave of doom then heart rate sky rockets - the last time I felt this was in the beginning of this nightmare. I was doing okay at 20mg Celexa and the doctor increased me to 30mg. No immediate reaction but after a couple weeks, the severe reaction started (insomnia, heart palpitations, shakes, pacing/akathisia). When I had this reaction for 2 weeks, I was then cold turkeyed which stopped that severe reaction but started other withdrawal symptoms that led me to this site.)
            12pm - current - woke up so nauseous, nerve stomach pain, insomnia, heart racing, restless legs and twitching in legs, internal uneasiness, anxiety, impending doom spell followed by my heart rate will sky rocketing. 

No sleep last night - heart pounding and akathisia type symptoms
3/11 - 
9:30am - Celexa
11:30am - queasy, head fullness/headache, feels kind of how I felt when I had initial adverse reaction
1:00pm - started period. Feeling a little relief from headache/fullness. Still weak, queasy, heart racing when moving around, internal uneasiness on the verge of akathisia
2:30pm - anxiety/fear, shivers. Terrified. Feeling very not myself mentally. Doomed. Out of my mind, spiraling.

CURRENT MEDS--

• Administrator

Must you take the PPI in the morning? Please review adverse effects of Dexilant.

Have you shown ALL your drugs in your daily symptom notes? Are you still taking an antibiotic? Have you stopped taking berberine, allicin, etc.?

Please put ALL your current drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

This is what we heard from you after a lapse of 5 months:

On 3/9/2023 at 1:00 PM, HopeForTomorrow said:

I thought maybe it was time to start tapering the Celexa. 

This morning I did a 10% cut at 9am and by 12pm I was having full fledge SSRI withdrawal symptoms - internal uneasiness, pacing, anxiety, fatigue, heart pounding. 

Although I had experienced these symptoms at a lesser severity, I am pretty overwhelmed with how badly this feels. 

Did I make the wrong move cutting by 10%? Should I go back up to 1mg tomorrow and try a lesser drop in a week or so?

However, it appears that around March 9, you were also experimenting with berberine, allicin, etc.

You had covid last fall? What symptoms from this were still in effect on March 9?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, HopeForTomorrow said:

@Altostrata - Can you take a look at my situation on my intro? It's very recent and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Please do not post questions for me in two locations on the site. All that does is increase my workload.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

10 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Must you take the PPI in the morning? Please review adverse effects of Dexilant.

I had taken it so long, and was somewhat stable while still on it. I have now reviewed and wish desperately I would’ve focused on tapering it before touching the Celexa again. I have horrible rebound acid reflux within hours of not taking it. It’s time-released but found a compound pharmacy who can help. 

12 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Have you shown ALL your drugs in your daily symptom notes? Are you still taking an antibiotic? Have you stopped taking berberine, allicin, etc.?

All drugs are updated. I haven’t taken antibiotic, Berberine or Allicin again. The last antibiotic was Rocephin and it kickstarted withdrawal symptoms (mostly benzo withdrawal - I know because they’re “different”) but I didn’t realize it because it was delayed. 

13 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

However, it appears that around March 9, you were also experimenting with berberine, allicin, etc.

I was doing this because reaction to antibiotic and still wasn’t feeling like UTI was completely gone. I stopped before I cut Celexa. 

15 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You had covid last fall? What symptoms from this were still in effect on March 9?

No more Covid symptoms. Sleep returned, head pressure/headaches went away, anxiety and depression lifted. Although after antibiotic I did start getting head pressure/headaches again. 

I had been taking Dexilant & Celexa at the same time every day until a couple days before cut, I just had a thought to separate so when I cut I could tell what was what. 

Also, very sorry for posting twice. I tried to delete the other one. 

I do think things were just compounding after antibiotic reaction but it was mostly physical. I do know I was not this severe mentally until I cut and then updosed.

I just don’t know how to get stable at this point. 

CURRENT MEDS--

Here is the link for interaction checker. Berberine and Allicin were not on there but my current ones are. There are no interactions. I also did it with the 2 antibiotics I tried (fosfomycin & rocephin shot) and no interactions with it. 

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=679-335,3107-14380,383-16383

CURRENT MEDS--

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, HopeForTomorrow said:

I have horrible rebound acid reflux within hours of not taking it.

This suggests that you have interdose rebound reflux from Dexilant. It could be that it's not quite working over 24 hours for you.

There is no need to go off it if you need it for a medical condition. We would like you separate it from your other drug dosing to avoid confounding symptoms.

8 minutes ago, HopeForTomorrow said:

I was doing this because reaction to antibiotic and still wasn’t feeling like UTI was completely gone. I stopped before I cut Celexa. 

So around March 9, you were still feeling the aftereffects of the antibiotics and experimenting with berberine, etc.? 

Perhaps the small reduction in Celexa was not responsible for your burst of symptoms, but something else. Berberine, etc. can be quite rough on your system.

At any rate, what is your current dose of Celexa and how long have you been taking that dosage?

Just now, Altostrata said:

This suggests that you have interdose rebound reflux from Dexilant. It could be that it's not quite working over 24 hours for you.

There is no need to go off it if you need it for a medical condition. We would like you separate it from your other drug dosing to avoid confounding symptoms.

I’m sorry, let me specify. If I try to skip the dose, I get the rebound acid reflux. I really need to come off of it as I think it may be the cause of recurring UTI’s that I’ve had. 

1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

So around March 9, you were still feeling the aftereffects of the antibiotics and experimenting with berberine, etc.? 

No - March 1st was my one and only dose of Berberine. Those affects wore off after 24 hours. 

I didn’t seem to react to Allicin but my last dose of it was 3/7.

3 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Perhaps the small reduction in Celexa was not responsible for your burst of symptoms, but something else. Berberine, etc. can be quite rough on your system.

At any rate, what is your current dose of Celexa and how long have you been taking that dosage?

I didn’t take anything other than what’s in my signature on 3/8. On 3/9, I cut Celexa dose to .9mg. By 11:30-12 I was starting to feel withdrawal symptoms. These kicked up by 2 including heart palpitations, pacing, irritability, foggy head, stomach nerve pain, no appetite/nausea. It was the first time I have felt affects from SSRI in a long time. 

By evening of 3/9 I was just sleepy, feeling off. Things calmed down in the evening. I slept through the night. 

Woke up feeling weak/hungover type and just off still.

3/10 - updosed to 1mg. 

by 7pm - twitching in legs, waves of doom, spell of full body shivers/shakes - the last time I felt this was in the beginning of this nightmare. I was doing okay at 20mg Celexa and the doctor increased me to 30mg. No immediate reaction but after a couple weeks, the severe reaction started (insomnia, heart palpitations, shakes, pacing/akathisia). When I had this reaction for 2 weeks, I was then cold turkeyed which stopped that severe reaction but started other withdrawal symptoms that led me to this site.
            12pm - insomnia the rest of the night, heart racing, restless legs and twitching in legs, internal uneasiness, anxiety, akathisia

i did 1mg again today waiting on advice on how to stabilize. 

CURRENT MEDS--

10 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

So sorry I didn’t answer this specifically. Symptoms are bad. My brain is all over the place, I’m trying - I promise. 

1mg

October 2020 - 3/8/23

3/9/23 - .9mg

CURRENT:

3/10/23 & 3/11/23 - 1mg

CURRENT MEDS--

• Administrator

Do you feel better or worse after you take 1mg Celexa at 9:30 a.m.? 

What are your symptoms prior to 9:30 a.m. compared to your symptoms after 9:30 p.m.?

Which of these symptoms might be adverse effects of Dexilant?

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Do you feel better or worse after you take 1mg Celexa at 9:30 a.m.? 

Hard question today because it’s all been kind of bad. Before and after taking. I will say when I updosed to 1mg Celexa initially, I felt better before I took it just maybe different? As it built up, by evening I got the impending doom type feeling (if you’ve had that? I don’t know how to explain) but I had that feeling when I had the reaction to the increase to 30mg in 2020.

7 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Which of these symptoms might be adverse effects of Dexilant?

Do you think any of this could be Dexilant even though I’ve stabled on it before and didn’t make any changes? I definitely want to come off ASAP but would like to be a little stable. 

CURRENT MEDS--

• Administrator

Please review adverse effects of Dexilant.

My intuition is this wave of symptoms was not from reducing 1mg citalopram.

8 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

My intuition is this wave of symptoms was not from reducing 1mg citalopram.

Would that be the case even if the only change I made was to the Celexa? And had these symptoms back in 2020 before SSRI stability?

And I didn’t have adverse effects prior to Celexa cut? Well, if I did not so severe. 

If that’s the case, I don’t want to take Dexilant ever again!

I trust your intuition if you think it’s Dexilant, for sure. 

Will I have mental symptoms with Dexilant withdrawal? Should I wait to try and stabilize and should I stay at 1mg?

The insomnia since going back up to 1mg is killer.

CURRENT MEDS--

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, HopeForTomorrow said:

Would that be the case even if the only change I made was to the Celexa?

Your posts indicate that many things were going on at the time you reduced Celexa. The difficulty might not be the Celexa reduction.

As you know, I have asked for specifics about your symptom pattern, such as timing of symptoms. I need that information to discuss this any further.

8 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Your posts indicate that many things were going on at the time you reduced Celexa. The difficulty might not be the Celexa reduction.

As you know, I have asked for specifics about your symptom pattern, such as timing of symptoms. I need that information to discuss this any further.

3/9 - Dexilant 8:15am
          cut Celexa to .9mg at 9:30am
          6pm - Quercetin 
          8pm - things started to calm a little
          11pm - 6am - sleep (normal sleep)
3/10 - 9:30am Celexa 1mg
           1:00pm  Stomach/nerve pain came back, Some symptoms calmed during the day - I wasn’t pacing but had terrible migraine and Brain on fire/blepharospams (blepharospams have been flared from benzo withdrawal setback from antibiotic for UTI)
           7pm - twitching in legs, waves of doom, spell of full body shivers/shakes - the last time I felt this was in the beginning of this nightmare. I was doing okay at 20mg Celexa and the doctor increased me to 30mg. No immediate reaction but after a couple weeks, the severe reaction started (insomnia, heart palpitations, shakes, pacing/akathisia). When I had this reaction for 2 weeks, I was then cold turkeyed which stopped that severe reaction but started other withdrawal symptoms that led me to this site.
            12pm - current - insomnia, heart racing, restless legs and twitching in legs, internal uneasiness, anxiety, akathisia

No sleep last night - heart pounding and akathisia type symptoms
3/11 - 
9:30am - Celexa
11:30am - Dexilant
12:00 - queasy, head fullness/headache, feels kind of how I felt when I had initial adverse reaction
1:00pm - started period. Feeling a little relief from headache/fullness. Still weak, queasy, heart racing when moving around, internal uneasiness on the verge of akathisia
2:30pm - anxiety/fear, shivers. Terrified. Feeling very not myself mentally. Doomed. 
4:00 - headache/head pressure. Weak, heart palpitations 
6:00 - migraine, weakness

NOTE - I took Dexilant at different times. First day 45 mins before. Then Frogie said you guys recommend 2 hours. 

2 days before and the day I did Celexa cut I started doing Dexilant 45 mins prior to Celexa dose. 
the last 2 days, I’ve taken it 2 hours after. 

Should I stay at 1mg Celexa?
What should I do about Dexilant tomorrow?

CURRENT MEDS--

• Administrator
1 minute ago, HopeForTomorrow said:
Should I stay at 1mg Celexa?
What should I do about Dexilant tomorrow?

Yes, stay at 1mg citalopram.

Please pick a time to consistently take Dexilant that is well separated from the Celexa. 

Please explain more about the condition for which you need to take Dexilant.

You still need to answer my questions.

12 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Sorry, forgot this. I seem about the same before I take Celexa and after until about a couple of hours after. Then things start changing.

CURRENT MEDS--

40 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Please explain more about the condition for which you need to take Dexilant.

Dexilant - I had upper GI symptoms like some acid reflux/nausea and they did an endoscopy. Nothing showed except acid secretions so they put me on it. A diet change probably would’ve done the trick. 

I haven’t come off because I thought the rebound acid reflux was my normal acid reflux (definitely wasn’t) and was told it “was safe” 

In October-November 2022 I started getting esophagitis symptoms and had to limit my diet greatly. No garlic, onions, etc. low fodmap and that helped tremendously. I just thought it was benzo withdrawal but now I’m second guessing if Dexilant was causing that too. 

I still have mild indigestion/acid reflux even with low histamine and low fodmap diet and now I’m wondering (after reading what it does) if Dexilant is the root cause to that too. 

40 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Yes, stay at 1mg citalopram.

Please pick a time to consistently take Dexilant that is well separated from the Celexa. 

I will stay at 1mg Celexa

Dexilant - is 2 hours okay or should I push it further? I’m not dying to take it at 11:30, I’m just really careful about changes so want to ask first. 

CURRENT MEDS--

• Administrator

Take the Dexilent as far away from Celexa as you can.

It appears many of your symptoms might be from Dexilent. Suggest you talk with a nutritionist or other specialist who knows more than your GP about this.

1 hour ago, HopeForTomorrow said:

I seem about the same before I take Celexa and after until about a couple of hours after. Then things start changing.

How do things start changing? Surely you can see why I'm asking this question. Can you be more forthcoming?