bioubiou: Prepping for my 2nd attempt at getting off Lexapro

bioubiou

~Oct 2013 - Feb 2015: Effexor (can't remember the dosage)

~Oct 2015 - Sept 2019: Lexapro 10mg at first then 20mg

Tapered over 2-3 months ending Sept 2019. but had no knowledge of anything. did it by myself. certainly had not read any of this forum stuff. symptom did not appear until a good month after I was totally off Lexapro. symptom included horrendous insomnia + crying spell + irritability... and it got worse and worse and worse... then suddenly something stressful happened in my personal life... and I could not sleep at all. would fall asleep and bolt awake at 2-3am and incapable of going back to sleep...

~Oct 2020 - Present: Lexapro 10mg

I still have insomnia. sweat profusely. and I am covered in cold sweat every night. I wake up in the middle of the night, several times but typically i am sedated enough tofall back asleep but sleep is bad. Exercise helps to clear my head during the day and I can function without screaming at my co-workers .

oh and I am 46... ie. hormonal changes from menopause have started...double whammy

I am living in SF. Aetna is my insurance...

Any doctor recommendation that would be understand the struggle, and understand what I am asking him or her to prescribe?

Edited by Gridley

~Oct 2013 - Feb 2015: Effexor 

~Feb 2015 - Oct 2015: nothing

~Oct 2015 - Sept 2019:  Lexapro 20mg

~Sept 2019 - Oct. 2020: Nothing

~ Oct 2020 - Present: Lexapro 10mg - supplements (Resveratrol, collagen, magnesium)-melatonin to help me fall asleep sometimes.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, bioubiou.

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

A direct link to your signature is here:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature. Please note: 
  • Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
As you provide more information, we can better guide you in setting up a slow and careful taper. Please continue to use this thread to ask question and document your taper. 

Regarding a doctor, doctors knowledgeable about tapering and withdrawal are not numerous.  Any M.D. can prescribe Lexapro. I Googled SurvivingAntipdepressant.org recommended doctors.  The following is the most recent entry.  I have no knowledge about this group or their prescribing ability in your area:
---
On 11/27/2020 at 6:45 PM,  purple said: 

I'd like to recommend psychiatrist Dr. Kendra Campbell, site is freerangepsych.org and I believe there are other doctors to work with as well. I watched the Medicating Normal documentary and she was on the panel discussion at the end. She seems to have a lot of experience in de-prescribing medications.

I went to freerangepsych.org and didn't see Kendra Campbell, but I booked a free consultation with Dr. Jennifer Giordano for next week.  I'll let you know how it goes and will post complete contact info at that time if it feels like a good fit.

---

We are a site for tapering psychiatric drugs and helping members to deal with withdrawal.  I'm assuming you want to taper off the 10mg Lexapro you're still on.  I tapered from 20mg Lexapro to zero, using protocols and advice from this site, and am now 7 months off the drug and doing fine.  Lexapro is the most powerful of the SSRI's, and from 10mg down it is especially important to taper slowly and carefully.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10%of your current dose every four weeks.  Some have to taper more slowly.  This might be the case with you since you're currently in withdrawal from your previous drop from 20mg to 10mg.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The following link is specifically about tapering Lexapro, including how to get the non-standard doses needed for a 10% taper.  Prescription liquid Lexapro is available in the U.S. and is a convenient and accurate method for tapering Lexapro. It does require a crossover period from tablet to liquid, and if you decide to taper with liquid Ldxapro, let us know and we can suggest a crossover schedule.  Tapering with a prescription liquid as well as other methods are described in the link.

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

The symptoms you describe are typical of antidepressant withdrawal and would very likely stem from your fast taper from 20mg to 10mg in 2019.  Withdrawal that lasts longer than a few months is known as protracted antidepressant withdrawal syndrome (paws) and is quite common.  So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some information of withdrawal and the healing process.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to bioubiou: Prepping for my 2nd attempt at getting off Lexapro