Dhenchey: going off Elavil?

Dhenchey

Hi. I’m new here. Trying to get off generic of elavil. I used a generic for 5 years for sleep. Then the generic changed to a different company. At this time I was trying to reduce the amount. I had no idea it would be this difficult. I went off it. When I realized I was getting withdrawal, I reinstated. It’s been almost a month and it doesn’t help me for sleep. Helps me for pain!  Then I tried upping the dose, adding some other drug, which I didn’t want to do.  I never stuck to one plan. Just wondering if i will  stabilize?  I have very bad insomnia because of this. I really don’t know what do

2017  started elavil 25 mg for sleep

2021.  Stopped taking snd realized I was in withdrawal

2021. Pharmacy switched generic. 
25 mg wasn’t helping for sleep

had to go up to 40 mg to stabilize for withdrawal ,  not working May 2121 rehab put me on klonipin equal to 30 mg of valium

switched to 30 mg of Valium

presently on 81/2 mg Valium and 15 mg of remeron for sleep. I’ve only been on remeron fir 4 months. I’m scared to be on it and I want to know if I can withdraw from it at same time as Valium. I’m not that stable on my dose and having bad withdrawals

May 27 2022 went up to 9 mg Valium to try to stabilize. At first It was t working. I feel a little better but still have high anxiety. Remeron not working as well ever since I went up on my dose of valium. Not sleeping well but my anxiety keeps me from feeling exhausted u til later. Then I burn out. 

• Administrator

Welcome.

What other drugs are you taking? When did you add them? To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

How much Elavil did you reinstate? What time of day do you take it? How do you feel before and after taking it?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

🤤 hi. I’m new. I’m not sure if I’m doing this correctly. I’m in need of advice badly!  I’m not even sure what a tag is

had to go up to 40 mg to stabilize for withdrawal ,  not working May 2121 rehab put me on klonipin equal to 30 mg of valium

presently on 81/2 mg Valium and 15 mg of remeron for sleep. I’ve only been on remeron fir 4 months. I’m scared to be on it and I want to know if I can withdraw from it at same time as Valium. I’m not that stable on my dose and having bad withdrawals

May 27 2022 went up to 9 mg Valium to try to stabilize. At first It was t working. I feel a little better but still have high anxiety. Remeron not working as well ever since I went up on my dose of valium. Not sleeping well but my anxiety keeps me from feeling exhausted u til later. Then I burn out. 

Hi. Can someone please explain how I start this and if it’s correct?   I really need help. I’ve been on Elavil for 4 1/2 years for sleep. The generic was suddenly changed and it didn’t work for me. I stopped using it until I started feeling withdrawal. I reinstated the new generic. It isn’t the same. I feel horrible and I’ve had to up my dose to 40 mg. It doesn’t always work and a lot of times I just feel drugged. I’m also, after 4 weeks, experiencing some withdrawal symptoms from 2 months ago. How can I taper successfully when I’m not even stable on this dose?

I’ve not seen an answer to my posts. Am I doing something wrong?

• Administrator

@Dhenchey please respond in this topic, your Introductions topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Altostrata changed the title to Dhenchey going off Elavil?
  • 8 months later...

How do I Ask a question about remeron?

Some rehab put me on Klonopin equal to 30 mg of Valium. I’m now taoering Valium but hit huge w/d at 8.5. Also I’m taking remeron for sleep. I need to ask questions  about the remeron bc I want to reduce   Can I reduce at the same time?  How do I post my questions? 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Dhenchey said:

How do I post my questions? 

@Dhenchey You ask them here in your Introduction topic.

Please update your drug signature following these instructions.  We need to see drug name, dose and the date you started taking that dose, so if you change the dose of a drug, please include all the changes.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I’m not sure where to go to update my situation. I need to change my meds and I need help desperately

After going off elavil cold turkey some rehab put me on Klonopin.  I was on equicilant of 30 mg Valium. Am down to 8 1/2. Couldn’t sleep so now I’m on ska I’ll 15 mg. Only fir 4 months. I’m worried about staying on the elavil any longer. Can I reduce both Valium and elavil at the same ine?@

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

Sorry for typos

• Moderator Emeritus

This link goes to your drug signature.  Remember to click Save.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Ok. I did add more info and drugs I am now on. Will I be getting any replies here?  

• Moderator Emeritus

@DhencheyWhat time(s) of the day do you take each of your drugs? Please list the time of day, the drug, and the dose. 

• 2 weeks later...

I take the liquid (water) Valium about 9:45 pm and the remeron after that about 10 pm. I’m starting to think I should be getting g off the remeron first?  It helps me sleep though

Valium is about 8.340 and remeron is 15 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, Dhenchey said:

I take the liquid (water) Valium about 9:45 pm and the remeron after that about 10 pm. I’m starting to think I should be getting g off the remeron first?  It helps me sleep though

How do you feel after taking Valium as opposed to after you take Remeron? Does the Valium make you sleepy?

Since you're only taking them 15 minutes apart, how can you tell which drug is helping with sleep?  

Sorry for all the questions, but it's important to stay on the drug that is best for sleep while tapering off the other one, but when you take them so close together, it may be hard to tell. 

Before making any more changes, please let us know what the doses of each drug you were on over the past two months and if your sleep was better at any point in the last two months. 

I do t think the Valium is helping me sleep at this point bc I came off 30. The remeron is helping me sleep   Any advice?  Thank you

Also the valium had been helping me up to about a week and a half ago. I could tell bc I could relax and take a nap before taking the remeron. Now I can’t take a nap. Is it possible that I’ve built a tolerance since I have titrated to 8.34 from 30 mg?

• ChessieCat changed the title to Dhenchey: going off Elavil?

Can anyone tell me if 30 mg of remeron is water soluable?  It has a coating on it. When I put it in water it did dissilve

Is 30 mg remeron water soluabke? It has a coating on it but it looks like it still dissolved in water when I tested it

Sorry. Is 30 mg of remeron water soluabke?  It’s different from the 15 tablet. The 30 mg has a coating on it but looks like it dissolved when u tested it?  Any answers very appreciated 

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

Also can anyone tell me if remeron 30 mg is water soluabke?  It has a coating on it. When I tested it in water it looked like it dissolved it just took longer?  Thank you

Water titrating reneron

Can I water taper remeron?  It has a coating on it but it dissolved after a little while?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• ChessieCat changed the title to Is 30 mg remeron water soluabke? It has a coating on it but it looks like it still dissolved in water when I tested itIs 30 mg remeron water soluabke? It has a coating on it but it looks like it still dissolved in water when I tested it
  • Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Dhenchey said:

Can anyone tell me if 30 mg of remeron is water soluable?  It has a coating on it. When I put it in water it did dissilve

Please carefully read ALL of Post #1 of this topic which explains the various ways to get non standard doses:

tips-for-tapering-off-mirtazapine-remeron

I did look at that topic but the 15 mg diesnt have the coating and the 30 does so I’m wondering if someone in admin knows the answer

• Administrator

What kind of coating do your tablets have? What's the brand? They all appear to have a film coating, which can be dissolved with the rest of the tablet.

The brand is citron. It’s a red coati g. If I break it In half it does dissolve so I guess it’s ok?  Thank yiu

• Administrator

You can dissolve this one like the other tablets. You might see some specks in the liquid from the additives in the tablet.

How do I translate mg into ml?  So I want to titrate by 10 percent but how do I know I much in ml that is?

And can I titrate along with valium?  Or wait and titrate remeron first since I’ve read that it’s better to do ADS first. I would like to level off on valium fist or course.  A nurse practioner told me to do this and then titrate remeron. My plan was actually the opposite so I’m really confused

• Moderator Emeritus

SA recommends only tapering one drug at a time, generally the more activating drug is tapered first, unless there is a bad reaction to the sedating drug.  The reason for this is because the sedating drug might help to preserve your sleep, which is very important.  However you will need to ensure that your doctor will continue to prescribe your drug for the length of time you are tapering the activating drug as well as for the duration of the taper of that drug.

30mg tablet in 30mL water, 1:1 ratio, 1mg drug take 1mL of liquid

To get the ratio you divide both sides by the mg amount, in this case 30mg

10% reduction (explained below) would be 27mg so you would multiply the 1mL x 27mg and take 27mL of liquid.

If you find it easier to measure a larger amount of liquid then you can increase the liquid and change the ratio.

30mg tablet in 60mL water, 1:2 ratio, 1mg drug, take 2mL liquid, 0.5mg / 1mL

10% reduction (explained below) would be 27mg so you would multiply the 2mL x 27mg and take 54mL of liquid.

30mg tablet in 120mL water, 1:4, 1mg drug take 4mL liquid, 0.25mg / 1mL

10% reduction (explained below) would be 27mg so you would multiply the 2mL x 27mg and take 108mL of liquid.

This strength of liquid would allow you to measure an a dose which ends in .25mg

To calculate:

10% reduction for 30mg, 30mg x 0.9 = 27mg

5% reduction for 30mg, 30mg x 0.95 = 28.5mg

Remember to calculate the next reduction on the new dose, so if you reduced by 10% and and took 27mg, the next reduction would be 27mg x 0.9 = 24.3mg.

If you need to round the dose to make it easier to measure, always round it up so that your reduction is less than 10%, not more.

Thank you. Normally valium would be sedating but I think it’s losing its sedating effect bc I started at such a high dose. I’m thinking if I can get down  further on valium and then try to titrate remeron . But the remeron helps me sleep now more than the Valium. To reiterate I’m on 8.5mg valium  amd 15 mg remeron. 

Thank you so much but bc of benzo brain I’m clueless can you calculate 15 mg of remeron in 15ml of water and then 60 ml of water?    Thank you so much 

Also when you say “take”. That means drink, right?

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, Dhenchey said:

Thank you so much but bc of benzo brain I’m clueless can you calculate 15 mg of remeron in 15ml of water and then 60 ml of water?    Thank you so much 

If you put a 15mg tablet in 75ml of water:

5mL of liquid would equal 1mg dose.

1mL of liquid would equal 0.2mg dose.

3 minutes ago, Dhenchey said:

Also when you say “take”. That means drink, right?

Yes "take" means drink or consume.

Sorry. One more thing. Can you tell me how to xmcalcukate 10 percent and five percent of 15 mg of remeron instead of 30 mg?  Sorry!!  Thank you so much