Dhenchey: going off Elavil?

Dhenchey

Also hiw to calculate 2.5 percent of 15 mg bc I have no one to help and I’m terrible at math.   Thank you   Thank you!!!!!

2017  started elavil 25 mg for sleep

2021.  Stopped taking snd realized I was in withdrawal

2021. Pharmacy switched generic. 
25 mg wasn’t helping for sleep

had to go up to 40 mg to stabilize for withdrawal ,  not working May 2121 rehab put me on klonipin equal to 30 mg of valium

switched to 30 mg of Valium

presently on 81/2 mg Valium and 15 mg of remeron for sleep. I’ve only been on remeron fir 4 months. I’m scared to be on it and I want to know if I can withdraw from it at same time as Valium. I’m not that stable on my dose and having bad withdrawals

May 27 2022 went up to 9 mg Valium to try to stabilize. At first It was t working. I feel a little better but still have high anxiety. Remeron not working as well ever since I went up on my dose of valium. Not sleeping well but my anxiety keeps me from feeling exhausted u til later. Then I burn out. 

I’m not sure if you got my other questions. So here goes again. Could you calculate 10 percent , 5 percent and 2,5 percent of 15 mg for me?  I’m ever so grateful to you. I’m terrible at math

had to go up to 40 mg to stabilize for withdrawal ,  not working May 2121 rehab put me on klonipin equal to 30 mg of valium

presently on 81/2 mg Valium and 15 mg of remeron for sleep. I’ve only been on remeron fir 4 months. I’m scared to be on it and I want to know if I can withdraw from it at same time as Valium. I’m not that stable on my dose and having bad withdrawals

May 27 2022 went up to 9 mg Valium to try to stabilize. At first It was t working. I feel a little better but still have high anxiety. Remeron not working as well ever since I went up on my dose of valium. Not sleeping well but my anxiety keeps me from feeling exhausted u til later. Then I burn out. 

I’m not sure if you got my other questions. So here goes again. Could you calculate 10 percent , 5 percent and 2,5 percent of 15 mg for me?  I’m ever so grateful to you. I’m terrible at math

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is a calculator which I think might be easy to use.

https://www.calculator.net/percent-calculator.html

There are 4 calculators on the page.  The one you need is the last one titled "Percentage Change Calculator"

You put the tablet dose in the first box, in this instance 15 (mg)

Change the Increase to Decrease

Type in the % amount in the third box, ie 10, 5, 2.5 as required

Then click calculate

The result will show up in a green bar just under the heading "Percentage Change Calculator"

The result will be the new dose to take

The following are the results you should get:

Dose 15mg

10% reduction - new dose 13.5mg

5% reduction - new dose 14.25mg

2.5% reduction - new dose 14.625mg

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you sooo much. That calculator is great

So how do I convert this to ml if I’m doing liquid titration!!  Sorry again for all the questions s but I have no one else to ask

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad it helps.

I had to do a lot of calculations using an Excel spreadsheet for my compounded capsules, what doses I needed and how many capsules of each dose to make the doses I required.  I would try to do it on a mentally clear/er day and then have a break and then go back and double check it.

Another way of making the calculations if you want to double check doing it a different way:

10% reduction - multiply 15mg x 0.9 = 13.5mg

5% reduction - multiply 15mg x 0.95 = 14.25mg

2.5% reduction - multiply 15mg x 0.975 = 14.625mg

Remember that for the next reduction the calculation is to be made on the current dose, not the starting dose.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Ok so do you know about liquid titration? I understand how to use the calculator but I’m doing liquid titration 

• Moderator Emeritus

This is from the previous page:

If you put a 15mg tablet in 75ml of water:

1mL of liquid would equal 0.2mg dose

10% reduction = 13.5mg          13.5mg divided by 0.2 (=1mL) = drink 67.5mL OR  remove 2.5mL (discard) and drink remainder

5% reduction = 14.25mg          14.25mg divided by 0.2 (=1mL) = drink 71.25mL OR remove 3.75mL (discard) and drink remainder

2.5% reduction = 14.625mg     14.625mg divided by 0.2 (=1mL) = drink 71.325mL OR  remove 3.675mL (discard) and drink remainder

Ok. Now I have to figure out if I’m doing my Valium correctly. I’m using a 10 mg tablet. I haven’t been able to stabilize when getting to 8.5 mg .im currently on 8.5 mg. I’m using liquid titration so I’ve been taking out 15 ml of liquid (out of 100 ml water) which leaves me 8.5 mg of valium. If I want to titrate by 5 percent a month, how many ml would I take out a day?  Or a month?  Or if I wanted to remove 10 percent a month using 100 ml water?  I would hug you right now for helping me. I’ve been feeling really bad when I reached 8.5 mg of Valium and I suspect I’m doing something wrong. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Are you tapering 2 drugs at the same time?

No. Just the valium right now

• Moderator Emeritus
On 3/29/2022 at 12:01 AM, Dhenchey said:

I’ve been feeling really bad when I reached 8.5 mg of Valium and I suspect I’m doing something wrong. 

What symptoms are you having? 

You have your original dose of 30 mg Valium in your signature as of May 2021, which means you've reduced 21.5 over the past 11 months. Please list how fast you've been tapering Valium over the past few months.

Also, when did you start taking Remeron? 

Please update your signature so that your drug history is clear. The first post in this thread will help:

How to Summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature

I’ve been tapering for 6 months. Remeron was added and I’ve been taking 5 months. I can’t live my life bc I feel like I’m having a nervous breakdosn

Tapering Valium 6 months

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/3/2022 at 9:01 AM, Shep said:

What symptoms are you having? 

You have your original dose of 30 mg Valium in your signature as of May 2021, which means you've reduced 21.5 over the past 11 months. Please list how fast you've been tapering Valium over the past few months.

Please answer this as best as you can. We need to know your symptoms and your taper rate over the past few months. 

It's possible we can make suggestions such as an updose or a change in taper rate, but without knowing your recent history, I'm not sure what to advise. 

What we need: 

1. What dose of each of your drugs were you on in December 2021, January 2022, February 2022, March 2022, and April 2022? 
  2. What are your current symptoms? 
  3. When did you last feel stable? Please list the month and year, if you can recall. By stable, I mean sleeping at least 5 hours a night and able to function during the day. 

Ok. I. December I was taking 10 mg pill and held for 3 weeks. And I am taking  the remeron. I was feeling great. So I lowered to 9 mg in January. I started feeling mild symptoms so I decided to cut by 1/2 mg.  8 1/2.  That’s when hell broke loose. I started liquid water titration to cut doses smaller but nothing has worked. I tried to cut a little  bit after that, tiny doses but but couldn’t take it. So my therapist suggested go back up to 9 or 10 and hold. I’m At 9 and I am having  Pretty bad withdrawal. I’ve been at 9 for 3 days. If I don’t stabilize I think my only option is detox which I know is hell like cold turkey. I’m really scared. The symptoms have not gone away. Thank you for any help.  I cannot  function at all

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Dhenchey said:

December I was taking 10 mg pill and held for 3 weeks. And I am taking  the remeron. I was feeling great. So I lowered to 9 mg in January. I started feeling mild symptoms so I decided to cut by 1/2 mg.  8 1/2.  That’s when hell broke loose.

Thank you for this additional information.

When did you start taking Remeron? Please list the date and the dose and the dates for any dose changes. 

If you can add this into your signature, we could speed this up a lot. I'm wondering if the Remeron is causing some of your symptoms, but without a clear timeline, it's impossible to tell. 

Please see the first post in this topic:

How to Summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature

For each drug, we need to know the date (month, day, year) you started taking it, the dose, and the dates for any dose changes.