TrazoDont a mess on trazodone

TrazoDont

Hi Everyone,

Background:

Was prescribed Trazodone 15 months ago for insomnia. Never worked but the Dr stacked Seroquel, than replace with Mirtazapine, then added Gabapentin. I was also prescribed Lexapro but I had the sense to say enough is enough!  Not only did none of this work but it has destroyed my life. Made me a mess.  My wife of 30+ years told me on two occasions she misses the man she married. Unbelievable really what I am putting her through. She does not deserve this. My life was great and was in great shape. I worked hard and was highly responsible my whole life and in a matter of weeks my security and marriage were ruined.  Now I am a physical and emotional wreck with little ability to dig out of the mess I am now in.   It all seems like a bad dream. Doing what I can (which is not much other than get off meds and try to improve my health). Hoping for a miracle to make this right for my family. 

I got off everything with the exception of the Trazodone. 

Currently tapering off 50MG Trazodone. I am using a digital scale.  I began my taper 8 weeks ago and am now down to 28 mg.

I am looking to slow down the taper so I can be more comfortable and reduce the WD symptoms.  

I am using a digital scale. The approach I have been using is to reduce by approximately 1/3 of a mg a day with some pauses in between when symptoms increased.

The alternative approach is to cut  and hold for a period of time. Are there any opinions on which approach is easier on the body? I would think daily microdose cuts are easier as long as you factor in a pause every once in awhile

I am new to this and am looking to maximize taper speed and minimize WD symptoms. 

Anyone with experience or insight to share?

3/2020 - Trazodone 50 - 150 mg for insomnia

3/2020 -  Seroquel added - discontinued within 3 weeks due to no sleep improvement

4/2020 - Mirtazapine added - 15mg to 30mg - no sleep improvement

6/2020 - Began Mirtazipine taper

7/2020 - Gabapentin added 400mg 

11/2020 -  Ended Mirtazapine taper

2/2021 - 4/2021 -  Severe Covid infection 

3/2021 -  Began Gabapentin taper - 400mg

4/2021 - End Gabapentin taper 

4/2021 - Began Trazodone taper - 50 mg

6/8/2021 - Trazodone current dose - 28 mg

• Administrator

Welcome, @TrazoDont

I moved your post here to start your Introductions topic, where you can discuss your personal situation.

Your nervous system may be upset from all the other drug changes. This can make reduction of trazodone difficult. Please stop tapering for the time being.

What has been your tapering schedule? What is your current symptom pattern?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Altrostrata,

My current taper schedule is currently 1/3 mg  per day.

I hold when sleep becomes worse or when the anxiety and nausea become too much.  A typical hold has been for 5 or 6 days. 

When nausea and anxiety improve a bit, I begin the taper again. 

I have taken a 1/2 of a .5 mg Xanax on occasion (3 times since the beginning of the Traz taper)  to take the edge off the anxiety and help with sleep. This is a 4 year old prescription that had 30 tablets. I was always very careful and only use when I am in a very bad way and need some relief. It helps but I only have a few tablets left and will not take more than 1 tablet in any given week. 

This all started when I began to experience maintenance insomnia. I still wake up like clockwork at 1:30 AM every night after only having 2 1/2 - 3 hours sleep despite all the meds thrown at me. 

As the trazodone does not appear to help with sleep, I have recently pushed back taking it until after I wake up at 1:30 AM. Weird nightmarish type thoughts seems to happen after I take this early morning dose without the benefit of inducing sleep. As a result I have experimented by pushing off the dose until 6:00 AM when I get out of bed. 

Within the last month I have had glimpses of my old self which is encouraging but the days are long and the nights are horrific. I can't watch TV, read the news or do anything I used to do without triggering anxiety.  I spend my time trying to lose myself in busy work so I can better ignore WD symptoms and reduce anxiety. 

Looking for a path out of this mess. Hopefully one day I can help others do the same. 

3/2020 -  Seroquel added - discontinued within 3 weeks due to no sleep improvement

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  Congratulations for tapering off of so many drugs.  That is a big accomplishment. It is quite possible that your nervous system is still trying to recover from tapering off these drugs.  Not only that, but you had severe COVID, so your system has been through quite a lot.  

Have the weird nightmarish thoughts gotten less severe as you have reduced the trazodone?  Are you having any other symptoms after you take the trazodone?  How do you feel after you take it? (ramped up, more anxious, restless, or other)  I'm trying to figure out if you are having an adverse reaction to the trazodone, a paradoxical reaction, or a withdrawal symptom.  Nightmarish thoughts are typical of psych med withdrawal.   

On 6/8/2021 at 4:33 PM, TrazoDont said:

Within the last month I have had glimpses of my old self which is encouraging

This is very good!  It means you are recovering.  You have come a long way, as you are off all but just one drug.  

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. This is extremely important. 

Considerations About Stability Stop Jumping Around

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thanks Getofflex for the good information.

The nightmarish thoughts continue to happen. When I close my eyes it feels like my eyes are twitching back and forth however I think it is just a feeling and not actually occurring. Thoughts I have during this time are never coherent. Just a jumble of random stuff that is mixed in with terrifying imagery of doom. I don't really feel a noticeable effect anymore directly after taking the trazodone but my nervous system always seems to be on high alert with sensitivity to light and sound. I am now very anxious and overwhelmed over the smallest thing. When there is conflict with the family I can barely take it. I feel like a mere shell of the man I was and wonder every second of the day if I will get better.  There is no excitement, joy or feelings of warmth and love. Just fear, guilt and regret. I brought this on myself and my family is paying the price. My first dose of Trazodone was on a Friday. By Monday morning, convinced I was going to die I made insanely bad decisions that have destroyed our financial security. Promises I made can no longer be kept and our future is now in jeopardy. My game plan is to get back to myself so I can figure out how to at least improve a very bad situation. Part of my suffering is that my current condition does not allow me even to be able to think through a good plan to make things better for my family. I consulted 3 different psychologists over the past year but unfortunately none were of any help. 

I did mention that there have been small windows where I feel normal. This lasts for maybe just a few minutes and then the anxiety takes over. I know this is not the answer but I will have some alcohol maybe once or twice a week at night and this is another time I would feel close to normal. I would prefer to abstain from taking but I sometimes feel like the break helps remind me what it is like to feel normal. If I could only get close to a normal sleep pattern, I am sure I would see improvement. I have tried nearly everything to improve sleep and nothing seems to work. 

I am currently at 26.5 mg over a 9 week period (from 50mg) . I plan on holding for the next week or two and then begin with a much slower micro taper of 1/3 mg every other day or so with periodic holds.