Mamabear: Tapering and Withdrawals

MamaBear

I was originally prescribed a low dose of Xanax and Lexapro for my panic attacks and anxiety. My doctor disappeared and I just had to keep getting it refilled until I found a new doctor which was not in the same area. I wasn't able to have Xanax so I was given Hydroxyzine instead and continuation of Lexapro until I could find a psychiatrist. I never saw one before. My PCP prescribed the medications. After being on Lexapro for 3 years I did not feel like it was doing anything for me. I've been consulting with a doctor over the phone only and she switched me to Zoloft and increased my dose to 150mg and to quit the Lexapro. She had diagnosed me with PTSD and possible bi polar. I felt horrible and doctor decided it wasn't working and tried to prescribed Abilify which I cannot take because I breastfeed. She suggested I take it at night instead of morning because if how i felt and take 100mg. I missed 3 doses in a row on accident and she told me to not take it after that. So I did not take another pill. Then 2 days later I started getting brain zaps and dizziness and nausea. I could not concentrate or keep my balance and had to leave work. I called a crisis hotline and an online doctor and was able to talk with a physician who recommended me to take 50mg for a few days then 100mg for a few and then go back down to 50mg until I can find a new doctor.  I absolutely cannot stand how I feel. I am so irritable at times and can't concentrate. I keep popping my jaw and my ears and I keep grinding my jaw. Its such an uneasy feeling. I'm not sure what's going on with my body or what to do or who to listen to as I believe this doctor prescribing me has no idea what she's doing.

Edited by manymoretodays
To add, mod note-merged by mistake to MamaBear 1984, moved back to seperate topic for MamaBear

March 2018  (Escitalopram) 5mg, Alprazolam .25mg

August 2018- 2020 increase escitalopram to 20mg

June 2020 tapering Escitalopram 50mg

August 2020 25mg tapering 

January 2021 was tapered to 12.1mg

January 2021 started Setraline 50mg and cont.Escitalopram for a week

March 2021 increased Setraline 150mg

June 11th 2021 I missed 3 doses in a row. Doctor told me not to take another obe since I was already off it for 3 days. 

Bad withdrawals started 4-5 days later. 

June 16th 2021 started 50mg Setraline 

June 23rd 2021 increased back to 100mg. 

Currently 100mg bad effects still. 

Hi @MamaBear

Welcome to SA. Glad you found us. Sorry to hear what happened to you.

Just to clarify things: you are currently taking 50mg of zoloft? Are you still taking the hydroxyzine? Also, can you clarify what your dosage of abilify was? In your post it seems to read that you took 100mg of abilify, but this is quite a bit higher than the highest recommended dose. 

I think the most important thing is to try and first get you stabilized, but to try and do that I just need to know the current and most recent drugs you have taken. Are you taking any supplements? Some drugs and supplements can interfere with metabolism and can also have psychotropic effects (antibiotics, steroids, St John's Wort, coffee, nicotine etc.). It would be very helpful if you could create a drug history in your signature like this one. This link will take you directly to the signature. Signatures generally look like this: 

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

This will allow any moderator or member to quickly see your history and where you are in your taper, and thus be able to help more easily without too much reading (most people here are volunteers and have other jobs). Let me know if you need help doing this.

Once you get stabilized, you will likely want to start tapering. Note that tapering too quickly (or cold-stopping) can result in some pretty severe withdrawal symptoms that can last quite a long time (months to years). Tapering slowly helps minimize both symptoms and symptom severity, ensuring you can remain functional while you get off the drug. Reducing more quickly than 10% can be too fast for many people, and as you get to lower doses you may want to slow the reduction even further, since receptor occupancy of these drugs tends to decrease more rapidly at lower doses. Here are some tips for tapering zoloft specifically.

In the meantime, you might find some of these non drug coping techniques helpful to ease your symptoms. Hope you start feeling better soon : )

Remeron - 2004-2005 (bad withdrawal)

Clonazepam - 2005-2018 (jumped around March)

Olanzapine - 2014- late 2017

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Many drugs in between including Lexapro, other benzos and z-drugs.

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone. 

Thankyou for responding I am desperate for help with this. I have been figuring out my history for you so I will post all that today! I'm scared for my mental health so I appreciate you reaching out! 

Currently on 100mg Setraline. Never took the Abilify due to breastfeeding. 

Stopped Hydroxyzine in 2019 

No supplements just prenatal and allergy meds.

I drink coffee almost every morning. I stopped today actually to see if it would help. 

June 11th 2021 I missed 3 doses in a row. Doctor told me not to take another obe since I was already off it for 3 days. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry @MamaBear, I think I must have gotten busy with other things and the notification for your post must have slipped past me. Were you able to read the guide on tapering sertraline or the link on why we recommend tapering 10% per month? Were you able to stabilize? How are you doing now? Sorry and hope you are getting some help. 

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone. 

Hey @DataGuy I appreciate you getting back with me. I did read all of it and have seem to stabilized somewhat enough to function again. I'm currently at 75mg and doing better for the most part. I have started with a new psychiatrist to help monitor everything as well that I should be meeting with here soon. No brain zaps and the tightening of my jaw is not as intense like it was before but still pretty 

Bothersome. 

That is great to hear @MamaBear. If things are gradually improving I would just hold where you are until symptoms are minimal. Then you can begin slowly tapering when you feel a bit better. Thanks for completing your signature.

Glad to see you were only off for a few days before you were able to reinstate the drug. Reinstatements are usually much more successful when they are done shortly after the appearance of withdrawal effects. Hope you continue to improve. 

Domperidone - 2008-2018