Krislynn: Cymbalta and Distended Belly

Krislynn

I have a huge distended abdomen.  I was on Cymbalta for over ten years. I developed microscopic colitis from the Cymbalta. I weaned off the cymbalta at the first of the year and my colitis improved. But I now have a distended abdomen, I look like I'm 8 month pregnant. I am so uncomfortable that I have to spend my day laying down. I have lost all quality of life,  I cannot sit more than a few minutes, or even ride in a car. My ribs are sore from the pressure.  I have lost 20 pounds but my belly has not changed. I have had multiple blood tests, ct scans and ultrasounds. The Dr's now say they think it is because I went OFF the Cymbalta. Like my gut cannot function without it. I have tried changing my diet (low fodmap) but nothing helps. Going back on Cymbalta seems crazy if it caused my colitis. 

Has this happened to anyone? Is there anyway to repair it? 

Edited by arbor
  • arbor changed the title to Krislynn: Cymbalta and Distended Belly
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome @Krislynn to SA,

I'm sorry you're experiencing an extended abdomen.  It sounds very uncomfortable.  Naturally, you would feel concerned.  This is not an unusual side-effect however, of psychiatric medications.  It can also be a problem during and after withdrawal.  Healing takes time, but even when slow, it does happen.   

We are a non-profit site run by volunteer Administrators and Moderators who have been through or still are going through withdrawal.  To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Just drugs, dates and dosages in a list format.  You write that you weaned off Cymbalta at the beginning of the year.  Could you include how you did this and the date you reached zero.  Did you lose 20 pounds after quitting?  Are you taking any other medications or supplements?

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

It may be too soon for your diet changes to clear the colitis.  However, following a healthy diet is a good plan, and it sounds like you're doing a lot to help yourself out.  Congratulations on being free of Cymbalta.  Here is a site that 

you might find useful: 

Digestive problems: nausea, diarrhoea, bloating, GERD ...

I encourage you to read through the site to read what other members are reporting and finding helpful. Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  To give you hope, allow me to share that I had terrible stomach bloating which took at least a year to go away.  I've used probiotic foods to restore my digestive system.

I recommend avoiding going back on Cymbalta, and allowing your system to heal.  Patience is your ally.

Here is yet another site for you to consider:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

This is your Introduction site where you can ask questions and connect with other members.

I'm glad you've found us. 

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022