Introduction - Alex2

Alex2

Hi,

Started on Zoloft per doctor in 1991. Not sure why. He did say it was preventative and “like a vitamin””

And then, started klonopin in 1997. Again, doctor said it was like a vitamin, and “more is better”.

In tolerance, and taper, and first 16 months benzo free, things were fine. But started tapering the Zoloft in October 2018 … became bed bound a couple months later.

zoloft free as of August 2020.

hope to become well enough to leave my bed, enjoy my family, etc.

fiercest symptoms - brain fog, Parkinsonism, Akathisia.

thank you

Unfortunately …

Klonopin - average 2mg per day, 1997 - 2017

Zoloft - 75mg per day, 1991 - 2020

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh Alex2,

Oh my gosh, yes.  I hope that you can get well enough to leave your bed, and enjoy your family too.

Thanks for getting your signature done, AND responding so quickly to my prompt to start an Introduction today.

So your symptoms onset started back in 2018 at the onset of your Zoloft taper?

How did you taper the Zoloft?

And can you tell us a little bit more about the symptoms you are having?

Are there no Windows? 

We often do see a pattern of: Windows and Waves going on with stabilization from drug injuries or WD

And oh my, I hope so, that you've had some windows since 2018.

I did find some topics too, that we have around your symptoms.  Have you found any non-drug coping that helps?  Are you on any medications presently?

Brain fog: blank mind, comprehension, concentration cognitive and memory problems

Parkinsonism

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation

And more about Protracted Withdrawal in this topic:  Protracted Acute Withdrawal Syndrome or PAWS

I'm glad you have found your way to the Success Stories Forum too, Alex2.  There's always hope for healing.  I'll go ahead and approve that other post of yours there now.

Welcome aboard.  This is your Introduction page now, and the best place for you to ask questions regarding your own case, and provide updates from time to time.

Hugs, and best,

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi

Thank you manymoretodays

yes, symptoms started a few days after I started tapering the Zoloft. I went from 50mg in October 2018 to zero by August 2020.

really hard to describe symptoms - so fierce. Parkinsonism (entire left side from top of head to toe is weird, feels disconnected, numb, yet burning), Akathisia, and cognition so bad it’s scary.

thanks for your help, and links, and support 🙏

Unfortunately …

• Administrator

Welcome, Alex.

Please describe the Parkinsonism symptoms in more detail. What does the akathisia feel like?

How did you feel while you were tapering Klonopin, and after you went off?

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata,

Thank you.

Suffering so much, cognition so bad, it’s hard to write.

Parkinsonism started when adjusting, and then tapering, and now 10 months Zoloft free.

Entire left side - head / brain, neck, shoulder, torso, hip, leg, foot, toes - are dis functional, numb,yet painful, electrified. And seem to be in a constant spasm / contraction - almost like a physical form of Akathisia.

Grimacing, inability to speak, and the feeling of left side of head / face being pulled is …. brutal.

Tolerance, taper, and first 16 months klonopin free were mostly fine. Ran a global media company. Life was good. It was when started adjusting and lowering Zoloft.

I take magnesium and fish oil per neurologist.

Cognition is the scariest part. Can’t think or do anything. Bed bound 2+ years.

Thanks again,

Alex

Unfortunately …

• Administrator

That sounds like iatrogenic myoclonus or dystonia. @WiggleIt suffered a severe form of this for a long time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you @Altostrata

Are you aware of anything that helps?

i will look at Wiggleit posts.

thanks again 🙏

Unfortunately …

• Administrator

This must have been a mystery to the neurologist. Did the neurologist say it was pseudo-Parkinsonism?

Have you tried acupuncture?

Hi @Altostrata Thank you.

Yes, most doctors don’t have a clue about psych med issues. Although my neurologist has been very understanding and proactive.

and he believes everything I’m going through is med issues. He believes it’s hyper activated glial cells primarily.

I have tried acupuncture, and other. Nothing has helped to date.

Feels like the left side of my face is being ripped off / pulled back. Grrrrrr …

thanks for all you do 

Unfortunately …

• Administrator

Hang in there. This is a long shot, but many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

@Altostrata Thank you 🙏

appreciate you

(normally would write more - struggling)

Unfortunately …