Mario77: Multiple medication mishaps

Mario77

@Mario77

Liquid Clonazepam would be the way to go because there would be no switch of medications and it is so much easier to taper with.  I would just tell her you want to switch to it, but make sure you have a supply of tablets because you can't just go from tablets to liquid, you have to switch gradually.

I'd be happy to travel to your time zone (I assume you are an hour ahead of me), but can't take your mirtazapine for you, sorry lol...

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

@FrogieI know. What I meant what if I travel? Do I change ALL dosing times to local? Keep the HOME dosing times? The last one would be tough, especially with meds taken at bedtime, no?

@Mario77

When I traveled, I always took my meds at the time in the time zone I was in. It didn't seem to bother me too much. And I never changed it when the time changed either. 

And I thought you wanted me to visit lol...

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Frogie said:

at the time in the time zone

What Frogie means is if you take it at 6pm when at home, take it as 6pm where you are visiting.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@Mario77

Sorry I wasn't very clear on that. I apologize.

1 minute ago, Frogie said:

@Mario77

Sorry I wasn't very clear on that. I apologize.

So if you take it at 11 at home you would take it at 11 where ever you are visiting.

Edited by Frogie

That's easy.:) 

But it can be problematic...Let's say I'm going to Hawaii (I wish!); my mirtazapine will be taken 28 hrs later after the previous dose, not 24 as usual...Is that not an issue? Not that I have a solution....just saying. On the other hand I cannot take it 24 h after my  previous dose, because that would be 7 pm Hawaii time. I take it at home around 11 PM CST...

That's what other members do when traveling?  When in Rome, take mirtazapine as Romans do?

Thank you!

The title of my thread is true , but very discouraging. Can one of the mods change it to something more...optimistic, maybe? Please.

• Moderator Emeritus

SA is a site which not only assists members to get off their psychiatric drugs safely but whilst doing so also aims to educate medical professionals about psychiatric drugs.

See this post explaining SA's mission:

about-survivingantidepressantsorg

And SA is aware of medical professionals visiting this site.

The title of your topic IS very honest and the medical establishment need to know this.

And believe it or not, new members who come along are often relieved to find that there are members here who have experienced something similar to themselves.

My topic title is "So I'm not the only one".   And these are my opening lines in my first post:

On 10/27/2015 at 6:14 PM, ChessieCat said:

I'm pleased to find this forum, but I am sorry that it is for the reason it is.  It is amazing how many people are suffering from AD WD, and the symptoms and length of time it can take. 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

You're thinking of traveling?

Mario, either you need constant attention because you are in a perilously fragile state, or you're feeling up to traveling and don't need so much hand-holding.

Yes, if you travel, you'd need to keep your drug schedule somehow. You need to figure this out. We're not going to be your traveling nurses, either, parsing every little symptom when your environment is constantly changing.

Maybe you should just not change your drugs while you're traveling, and come back here when you return.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Frogie I was totally non-functional today, suffering with chills and shivers, beside severe depression. Do you think my 17% cut caught up with me? Should I re-instate at 0.5mg clon mid-day? Thank you.

@Mario77

As @Altostrata and I both agree you are taking too much clonazepam, the answer would be no.

Unfortunately, wd symptoms stink. But not obsessing over them, and doing self care, it can be manageable. 

I wish I had a better answer for you. 

In no way, am I calling you hypochondriac, but some of this might help:

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

You will get better, you have to believe in yourself first, and not let the medication control your beliefs.

@Mario77

@Greatful, a wonderful Mentor on here, posted this and you could take a look at it:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=therapy+in+a+nutshell

@FrogieYes, hypochondria is something totally different. I am not obsessing over the symptoms; I cannot function with them.

So the plan is to eliminate my mid-day dose? That's gonna take a while...🙄

Thank you!

@Mario77

How do you say you can't function with them?

Can you work, eat, sleep, walk?

I'm just wondering where you are at at this moment.

@FrogieWalk and eat, yes, but slowly.

Sleep or work with shakes, shivers and bad back pain? No, I can't do that.

RIGHT NOW, I'm home, in my lounge chair, typing on the laptop and expecting the snow storm.

• Administrator

Do you have back pain from an earlier injury?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Mario77

This link might give you some ideas to deal with the physical pain you are experiencing.

Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

@Mario77

You're very welcome.

• Administrator

Did you ever try stretching, physical therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic, or massage for the back pain? Drug-induced reactions tend to seek out where we have not been taking care of our bodies. If you do a lot of sitting, improving your body mechanics may help compensate.

@Altostrata Yes, massage helps. Stretching sometimes.

Correct, I sit a lot and I'm not very active. The back pain bothers me in my "bad periods" only, around the same time of the day, 1pm to 4pm-ish. And is not occurring with my initial anxiety, only after using meds for a while, or trying to taper them. 

Thank you.

• Administrator

Strongly recommend you work with a physical therapist and get exercises to do at home for your back. We're not about to treat this with drugs.

@Frogie

Feb 4

6 AM Woke up anxious, muscle fasciculations

7 AM Propranolol 40mg

8 AM Anxious, agitated, brain fog

8:30 AM Clonazepam 0.75

9:00 AM Brain fog, muscle fasciculations

9:30 Escitalopram 12.5

10 AM Brain fog lifting a bit

11 AM Amlodipine 5

12 Lunch

1-2 PM Brain fog not so bad, slight headache and back stiffness

2 PM clonazepam 0.375

4PM Home, tried to nap, intrusive thoughts, jolts of terror

6PM Dinner

7PM TV, a bit better

9PM clonazepam 0.75

10 PM TV

1040PM Liquid mirtazapine 18.75

@Mario77

It looks overall you are functioning pretty well. 

You are going to work, eating and doing everyday activities. And you are working through it!

That's wonderful. Keep up the good work.

@Frogie Am I? This morning was pretty rough...but after cutting almost 17% In 3 weeks...from 2.25 to 1.875, I guess it is expected. After all this suffering I don't want to go up. But I am far from ready for the next cut...

@Mario77

Then don't quite yet. Give your body a small break, but you are still on a hefty amount.

• Administrator

Please explain more about "muscle fasciculations". What are these, where, how long do they last?

It appears you're still taking too much clonazepam. Do you see what happens after your 2 p.m. dose?

@Altostrata @Frogie

Involuntary small muscle contractions, in my extremities. For example, in my forearms, or legs, last a  second, like a twitch.

You mean I am better after my 2pm clonazepam, because it's a smaller dose? 

However, the mornings are awful...

Thank you both for your concern and for keeping an eye on me...

• Administrator

If you mean twitches, please put twitches in your notes. How long do these twitches last? Are they painful? Do they happen only at the times you indicated in your notes?

6 hours ago, Mario77 said:

2 PM clonazepam 0.375

4PM Home, tried to nap, intrusive thoughts, jolts of terror

I mean jolts of terror caused by a paradoxical reaction to TOO MUCH clonazepam, Mario.

The twitches happens mostly in the am, but also throughout the day. They are not painful. Just my back is stiff and I am ALWAYS cold. OK, not always, evenings are better, in bed. My extremities are cold in the morning.  The horrendous back pain was absent today, mostly stiffness and contracture.

Thanks.

Feb 5 @Altostrata @Frogie

7AM Woke up, dread

7:30 AM Propranolol 40mg with breakfast

7:45 AM Took dog out 10 min

8:00 AM Muscle twitches, depression, thirst, shivers

9:00 AM Clonazepam 075, stay in bed, intrusive thoughts

10:00 AM  Escitalopram 12.5, brain fog, depression

11:15 AM Amlodipine, some computer, depression, anxiety

12AM Agitation rising, bit of back stiffness, no lunch

2PM clonazepam 0.375

3PM a bit less agitation

5PM out to dinner, anxiety

7PM back from dinner, a bit of agitation

8PM bed, TV, depression

9PM Clonazepam 0.75mg

9-10:30PM tried to watch a movie

10:45PM liquid mirtazapine 18.75mg 

• Administrator

What do you do for exercise?