RemeronHell: Remeron adverse reaction and fallout

RemeronHell

Almost 20months out now. Some of the side effects continue to improve. However, in the last 1-2 months have now been basically not able to sleep more than 5 hours. prior to this, was gettting 7avg most nights. Now, no matter what i do or take before bed, i always wake up after 5 hours. I think my REM sleep has basically disappeared. I know mirtazapine can cause issues with REM, didnt realize could be this far out still!    So this has now become my biggest issue im dealing with, whilst others have improved.   Any ideas or tips how to stay asleep?  ive tried magneisum, ashwaghanda, valerian root, herbal teas, L theanine, etc. 

Remeron 15mg for 1 day in July '21,  then 7.5mg for 6days ending 30 July 21.   Immediate ADR. Went to ER several times, including ICU stay. Dealing with headaches, headpressure, tinnitus, hyperacusis, arm weakness, panic attack like feelings ever since.

No more drugs since, just vitamins Magnesium L-Threonate & Glycinate, fish oil , curcumin , ubiquinol, acetyl L Carnitine and alpha-lipoid acid, vitamin d3, vitamin k2 as mk7, and an overall men’s multi-vit.  Though I'm mainly just using magnesium since 2022. 

• 2 weeks later...

@RemeronHell how are you? Has your insomnia improved? I'm like you. I developed an immediate adverse reaction to Remeron after only one dose (15mg). Hope you are doing fine.

Jan 29, 2023 - Took my one and only dose of Mirtazapine (15 mg). Developed an immediate adverse reaction with list of withdrawal-like symptoms.

Hi 

I had a reaction after one doze of Lexapro.

but my daughters friends mom took me to the hospital. They gave me other meds and it was a domino effect. I’m off all meds now but have had damage since 9/2020

Use to take Xanax half .25 for stress And anxiety as needed 

In 2020 started  Lexapro  .10 mg for 3 days.  Hospital gave me Attivan .50 mg 

Then relapsed they gave me Zoloft .50mg for one day passed out  3 days later given Celexa  had crazy side effects back to hospital put me on Mertazipine 

• 1 month later...

Sleep is still an issue, most nights waking up after 5 hours, sometimes around 6 and if very lucky 6.5.  I did stop all the vitamins that i was taking. I have a feeling that Tongkat Ali (testosterone booster) which has a potential side effect as insomnia seems to maybe have aggravated my situation. 

Remeron 15mg for 1 day in July '21,  then 7.5mg for 6days ending 30 July 21.   Immediate ADR. Went to ER several times, including ICU stay. Dealing with headaches, headpressure, tinnitus, hyperacusis, arm weakness, panic attack like feelings ever since.

No more drugs since, just vitamins Magnesium L-Threonate & Glycinate, fish oil , curcumin , ubiquinol, acetyl L Carnitine and alpha-lipoid acid, vitamin d3, vitamin k2 as mk7, and an overall men’s multi-vit.  Though I'm mainly just using magnesium since 2022. 

Remeron Hell,

I wanted to tell you that your hunch about serotonin syndrome may be correct. People that have trouble getting off Remeron tend to be those with histamine issues already, that is, people who were close to having a histamine disorder before they went on the Remeron. I say this based on observations on these boards that many people I see with benzo or Remeron problems have had other histamine problems like chronic fastigue syndrome, lyme, long covid, mold sensitivity, thyroid problems, autoimmunity, etc.

HIstamine disorders are caused when folks have too much histamine in their bodies whether from a lack of enzymes to break histamine down or from mast cells getting activated and not turning off for whatever reason (toxicity, chronic infection, autoimmunity, etc) . I think when people come off Remeron (and benzos), it can trigger mast cell activation in some that gets stuck in the "on" position, no different than when you have a chronic infection for example.  Mast cells release a ton of histamine, and they also release a ton of serotonin. 

I actually got serotonin syndrome during my withdrawal from Remeron and had to cold turkey my celexa that I was on because it got so bad. I was having mast cell activation from tapering the Remeron and from covid that I had. There are reports of people getting serotonin syndrome from covid even when they aren't taking any antidepressants, just from the mast cell activaiton caused from fighting the covid. So I think if you were already someone with a low level mast cell histamine problem and you added the serotonin boost from Remeron, I think you conceivably could have had serotonin syndrome.

One thing that took away 100% of my Remeron withdrawal symptoms (and some of my long covid symptoms which are similar bc they are both histamine symptoms) was taking the DAO enzyme, which is the enzyme made by your kidneys and your gut that normally eats histamine. You can get it on Amazon. 

I wish you continued recovery. All the best, Quinn

Not medical advice. No PMs. 2007-2010 2mg Klonopin, 40mg Celexa. 10/2010 Crossed to Valium 15mg. 02/2011 Mental Hospital at 1mg Valium. Given 15mg Remeron to get off V. Symptoms stop. 02/2011 BENZO FREE. 09/2011 I try to cut Remeron, bad, Up to 60mg Remeron, 40mg Celexa, symptoms stop. 08/2013 30mg Remeron, 20mg Celexa. 11/2017 15mg R, 10mg C, can't cut or hell. 02/2022 Paradoxical at 15mg Remeron, Hell, add DAO & Aminos, symptoms stop, so start tapering aggressively. 04/2022 5mg Remeron, 10mg Celexa. 06/2022 4mg R, 10mg C. 07/2022 Serotonin Syndrome from long covid mast cell activation, terrible; Cold turkey off Celexa & Tryptophan, better. 08/2022 4mg Remeron. 10/2022 3mg R. 12/2022 2.8mg Remeron; holding bc long covid again, insomnia.

• 3 weeks later...

hi remeronhell,

i found that we share many similar symptoms but our recovery timeline is very different. it's surprising that your muscle twitching/jerking is one of the first symptoms to improve. how is your tinnitus and muscle twitching now? do you still have numbness in your hands and feet?

2018: abilify(ct) -> lamictal(ct) -> quetiapine(fast taper): no withdrawal syndrome. All side effects and adverse reactions disappeared as soon as I went off the meds.

2019-2021: psych med free;

2021/05 - 08: oral contraceptive for abnormal period (had very irregular period with bleeding that could last 3 weeks)

2021/11: Had shingles for a few weeks, used gabapentin & Valacyclovir. Stopped when shingles stopped. No issues.

2022- 2/11-2/27: Vraylar 1.5mg/day, 2/25-2/27: Mirtazapine(all under previous psych NP's instruction); Went to ER for akathisia on 3/6/2022 and tried propranolol with lorazepam for around 5 days but did not work. Hospitalized on 3/16/2022 due to akathisia and introduced the following: Clonidine 0.1mg/day for 2 weeks; Lorazepam 0.5mg twice/day for 1 week; benztropine 1mg twice/day for 1 week; propranolol 10mg/day for 1 week.

100mg/day vitamin B6 from 4/6-4/17.

No med since 4/14/2022.

I was on Albilfy too.. that’s a strong medication 

are you on any meds now? 
im off all meds since 2021 Nov 

Use to take Xanax half .25 for stress And anxiety as needed 

In 2020 started  Lexapro  .10 mg for 3 days.  Hospital gave me Attivan .50 mg 

Then relapsed they gave me Zoloft .50mg for one day passed out  3 days later given Celexa  had crazy side effects back to hospital put me on Mertazipine 

• 10 months later...

Sorry for the delay in reply.  The sleep issue i was last talking about improved and essentially I felt like life was virtually back to normal.   So i was finally able to get my life back !         And everything was generally fine  (tinnitus is the only issue that seems like it will be permanent,   but it doesnt bother me so much). 

However, this last 1wk i started to experience certain symptoms that closely resembled those side effects when i was taking Mirt  (light headedness,  headache, feeling like want to pass out, generalized weakness).   The timeline seems to match the following:  I did start to take 2 new supplements (Moringa and L-Carnitine). I was taking the moringa as part of a banana smoothie i was making each day, and then L carnitine was 1 small "shot" bottle which is used pre exercise (3000mg L-Carnitine for energy boost).   I later looked up online and realised that both of these supplements can increase noradrenline, dopamine and serotonin.    The L Carnitine also specifically mentions side effects which are reflected in some of the things i expereinced.    I am  now concerned that, even after basically being OK for over a year,  I have  "rekindled" myself and maybe am in a light new "wave"  or mini withdrawal episode ? 

Has anyone experienced or read about anything like this?    I am hoping this will just last a few days or week or so....i would hate to think I have to go back to months on end of enduring this   all over again (granted, this time around feels not as bad as the initial Mirt side effect + WD episode, which was hell).