Jeannemarie: Stopping mirtazapine

Jeannemarie

2010 -2020 taking Mirtazepine 7.5-15mg  for menopause induced insomnia on advice of GP

June 2020 discontinued mirtazepine without any tapering (had no idea about risks of potential WD). 

Since then have experienced classic waves and windows pattern with insomnia being the worst feature but also dizziness, joint pain and intolerance of strenuous exercise and stress

17 months in, I’m wondering if the symptoms will ever disappear and whether I have permanent damage from 10 years of erratic use of mirtazepine

some reassurance from forum members would be much appreciated

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

2008-2010 Zopiclone

2010- June 2020 Mirtazepine 7.5-15mg

June 2020 Discontinued Mirtazepine (CT)

June 2020- present No medication or supplements other than oestrogel HRT

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jeannemarie: Stopping mirtazapine

Welcome @Jeannemarie

I am sorry you are going through this and are suffering, but relieved you have found us. This forum is run by others like you who have been through and survived, or are surviving, the negative effects of psychiatric drugs.

Do you get some nights with good sleep or insomnia is the norm?

Here is our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover. 

Important topics about symptoms

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Non-drug techniques for dealing with body pain

So it’s easy for anyone reading your posts to get a quick overview of your situation we ask members to summarize their medication history in a signature following these instructions:

How to List Drug History in Signature

I found this post helpful to understand what is going on and why healing takes time:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

You have perhaps already read this:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, be careful with supplements. Your central nervous system (CNS) has become sensitized from psychiatric drug use and can react unpredictably. Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other mind altering substances can make the condition worse.

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Unfortunately it is not uncommon for someone to have withdrawal symptoms after 17 months. Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities. It takes time, but healing can and will happen. I wish we could say for sure when you will feel normal again, but you will. Hopefully by learning more about what you are going through and being a part of this community, you will find the strength to pull through.

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Edited by Kiasofia

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

Thank you for your response Kiasofia

In answer to your question, my insomnia is present for the majority of the time and is making my life pretty miserable. I do however experience windows when my sleep goes back to normal which is reassuring

Having scrolled through many of articles on SA, I suspect that my ongoing problems are due to high cortisol levels. This hypothesis is based on my sleeplessness being much worse when I’ve exercised strenuously or having had the slightest upset. It even happens after watching an exciting tennis match in the evening! I can be careful with exercise but life by it’s nature is difficult to maintain a calm steady state

i didn’t  know about tapering as my GP told me that a 7.5-15 mg dose of mirtazepine was so low (« benign » was his word!) that it was safe just to stop

Despite having occasional windows when I sleep normally, I don’t feel that time is improving my situation and my worry is that I have inflicted permanent damage on myself by taking mirtazepine erratically for 10 years (I treated it like taking a zopiclone for sleep, varying the doses and missing days). Most of the contributors on SA seem to be suffering in a tapering phase of withdrawal whereas I haven’t taken a psychiatric drug for over 17 months and yet still have severe insomnia (this was initially menopause induced hence initial prescription of zopiclone. I hadn’t had any sleep problems prior to then) 

Im just trying to keep my hope alive that this is still related to withdrawal despite the lengthy drug free period and that one day I will feel better

if any mirtazepine users have any advice/reassurance for me it would be much appreciated

2008-2010 Zopiclone

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there and welcome aboard Jeannemarie,

Here is what you've got going now for a signature:

3 hours ago, Jeannemarie said:

2008-2010 Zopiclone

2010-June 2020 Mirtazepine 7.5-15mg

June 2020 discontinued Mirtazepine (CT)

June 2020 - present No medication or supplements other than Oestrogel HRT

And I just moved this post back here to your Introduction.

Now go to AccountSettings/signature and add in this information just like you have it above.  Don't forget to hit the SAVE button when done.

Then you should and we will all see it below each of your posts.

Thank you.

This is your Introduction/journal page, where you have introduced yourself now to the community, you can ask questions right here, regarding your case and tapering, give updates, and keep a record of your journey.

Welcome again,

Best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

I'm glad you have some windows at least. Have you been able to get some tips from our symptoms and self care section? Unfortunately most medical professionals do not understand how important tapering is or know about withdrawal.

Sometimes a low dose reinstatement of the drug causing withdrawal, can be tried. But it has it's risks and should ideally be done within 3 months of quitting.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The search function on this site doesn't work very well. The best way to search this site for specific information is to use your favorite search engine. Type in survivingantidepressants.org then the symptom, treatment, supplement or information you wish to search for.

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

Thank you for your advice Kiasofia and I am finding all the information on the site to be very helpful

I don’t think that reinstatement is an option after 17 months completely off mirtazepine. 
i do wonder though how different things might have been if I’d come across SA last summer. I’m amazed when I read how people have tapered over such long periods whereas  my GP said that it would be fine just to stop. Also that I’d been mistakenly using the drug like a sleeping tablet and varying and missing doses. Now I realise what damage that must have caused over 10 years

The most important thing for me now is to be reassured that things will improve for me despite my being drug free for so long and yet still experiencing frequent and prolonged waves. I’m wondering how other contributors who have CT for whatever reason have got on and whether they’ve eventually made full recoveries

2008-2010 Zopiclone

Yes, you will improve❤️ And yes also people who CT heal. I CTed lexapro, and would write my success story now if it wasn't for still being stuck on drug #2. For many it takes time and 17 months isn't necessarily a long time period when it comes to withdrawal (even though it feels like it!).  I hope you can connect and find reassurance here!

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

To make sure someone sees your post write @ and then start typing their username so it becomes blue like this @Kiasofia

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg