Pawssucks: Reinstating to get rid of anxiety from PAWS

Pawssucks

I need advice about reinstating citalopram to stop anxiety from PAWS.

ive never felt anything like it! I can’t eat or function normally, it makes me sleepy, on edge, sweaty and it’s physical in my chest.

I don’t want to take anxiety meds for months and years, but reading on here it talks about taking meds again to stabilise, then maybe try again over a longer period.

Will reinstating citalopram get rid of this anxiety? I just can’t handle it anymore. 

2012- 2018 citalopram 20mg for emotionally unstable borderline personality disorder.

2018- citalopram 30mg

01/09/21.       reduced to 20mg

01/10/21.       Reduced to 10mg

01/11/21         Reduced to 5mg

20/11/21.       Stopped completely 

07/12/21.   All physical symptoms gone

14/12/21. Got the flu, felt depressed, took a 20mg, threw up, started feeling anxious

15/12

16/12. Took 5mg each day, couldn’t hack it, haven’t taken since.

22/12/21 anxiety gone, thought I was better

7/01/22 anxiety back again 

• Frogie changed the title to Pawssucks:Reinstating to get rid of anxiety from PAWS

@Pawssucks

Welcome to SA.

I'm sorry you are going through this, but glad you found this site. This site is run by volunteers going through or have gone through similar situations as yours.

This is your page where you can receive information, ask questions, and meet members that are going through or have gone through what you are at the moment. We ask that you only have one page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First of all can you please create a signature. 

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

How long were you on Citalopram? What dosage? How long did you taper off of it?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

What to Expect in Reinstatement (James Heaney article)

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

One Theory of Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

You could reinstate citalopram at 1 mg. You could always increase a little if needed. Then once you stabilize you would taper very slowly. We suggest no more than 10% of your dosage a month.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Brass Monkey Slide

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

We don't suggest supplements on here, but there are 2 that seem to help some people. If you would like to try them, try each one separately, and a small amount at a time. Then wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

Please read through this information at your leisure. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thanks you so much Frogie

2012- 2018 citalopram 20mg for emotionally unstable borderline personality disorder.

2018- citalopram 30mg

01/09/21.       reduced to 20mg

01/10/21.       Reduced to 10mg

01/11/21         Reduced to 5mg

20/11/21.       Stopped completely 

07/12/21.   All physical symptoms gone

14/12/21. Got the flu, felt depressed, took a 20mg, threw up, started feeling anxious

15/12

16/12. Took 5mg each day, couldn’t hack it, haven’t taken since.

22/12/21 anxiety gone, thought I was better

7/01/22 anxiety back again 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Pawssucks: Reinstating to get rid of anxiety from PAWS

You are very welcome.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.