scarlucy:How to taper Risperdal .50 mg and Trazodone 50 mg

scarlucy

I want to get pregnant in April 2022 and would like to start tapering from Risperdal .50 mg and Trazodone 50 mg. My psychiatrist sent me a new Risperdal prescription for .25 mg which is the lowest dose. If I start to take this starting January 17 for how long should I take this before I start to take it every other day? and how and when I should stop completely? Please advise. I got a second opinion but would like to know the best approach from someone who have successfully tapered before. I’m a bit nervous about the taper. Thank you

• Frogie changed the title to scarlucy:How to taper Risperdal .50 mg and Trazodone 50 mg

Hi @scarlucy and welcome to SA.

Please start by adding your drug history to your signature.  Each time you started, stopped or changed the dosage of a prescribed drug like the risperidone and trazodone.  This will help us work out what might help you taper.

How did you come to be prescribed risperidone?

We do not recommend skipping doses (taking every other day, etc) to taper off drugs.  This causes an uneven amount of the drug to be in your system from day to day, and tends to cause significant withdrawal symptoms because it confuses your nervous system.

Rather, the common experience is that coming off at around 10% of the previous dose each month is the most helpful guideline for people wanting to come off these drugs.

While you are on a fairly low dosage, it's important to understand that your body needs to process the gradual removal of these drugs at its own rate.  It can certainly be frustrating that the process does not follow a calendar, but learning to listen to your body and its feedback on these withdrawals is what ultimately sets a safe pace.

Here are some topics for you to review

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM