GalacticCake: Severe brain zaps from Paroxetine

GalacticCake

Hi everyone.

I was given Paroxetine (20mg) back in 2013/2014 (can't remember correctly) when I was a teenager (14/15) due to the presence of panic attacks.

I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, the first due to panic attacks and the second due to an accident (car accident, hit my head). Today I work as a psychologist in my country and have the knowledge to say that both of them, but mostly the second diagnosis (PTSD), was misdiagnosis a.k.a. medical error. What I had was much closer to an acute stress reaction than PTSD or Panic. During the accident, I had a concussion (hit my head against the car window pretty hard), but I was dismissed from the hospital with no further investigation apart from a quick neurological exam.

The psychologist that treated me back then suggested I had PTSD and needed medication (despite telling me this when she had only seen me once). The doctor thought it was Panic Disorder, so I was given Paroxetine.

I've been taking it on/off for the past few years. I'm never truly off of it, but a few months after the events I described, I felt much better and lowered the dosage to 10mg.

Sometimes I could take only 5mg and be fine, but most of the time, once I reached 5mg or less, or had no medication at home (mostly due to difficulty scheduling hours with the doctor or things like that) I would experience severe withdrawal symptoms, mostly dizziness/light-headedness and severe brain zaps. That still happens to this day when I try to go lower or miss a dose, and it leaves me completely incapacitated. I've followed the gradual-but-steady withdrawal, but within this range, it happens no matter what I do.

I've been feeling stable for years now and I worry about the side effects/consequences of such a long use of this medication.

Do any of you ever had a situation like this, what advice could you give me? What do you do to deal with severe, debilitating brain zaps?

Anyway, thank you everyone for this space. It's good to see people being heard about their medical/medication complaints and not being dismissed by health professionals.

Also, as a health professional, if any of you think your provider is giving you a misdiagnosis or not listening to you, take a look at the diagnostic criteria for your diagnosis (most disorders have very specific symptoms and duration, also, if you have a medical condition or are taking psychotropics, be it a common medication or recreative substance, it has to be taken in account).

It's really helpful.

All professionals should know it, but alas, our reality is not ideal.

• ChessieCat changed the title to GalacticCake: Severe brain zaps from Paroxetine

Hi @GalacticCake

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer site that has members like you.

This is your page, to receive information, ask questions, and meet members as yourself. We ask that each member only have one page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First, could you please create a signature. That would be great.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

So, are you still on 5 mg Paroxetine ? Paroxetine is very hard to taper off of and here we never suggest more than 10% a month

Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat)

Brassmonkey, a moderator on here tapered off of this and I think it took him about 6 years to finally taper off.  You might want to read his story, it's very interesting.

I'm very sorry you are going through this. I'm going to give you a few links that you may find helpful.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Brain Zaps

You never want to skip doses and the Paroxetine  because it needs to be steady in your bloodstream

Skipping Days vs Every Day Dosing Graph

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Yes, your brain will heal. It sometimes takes a long time, but it does.

Brain Remodelling

What is Happening in Your Brain

We don't suggest a lot of supplements on here, but members on here do find that magnesium and omega can be calming to the nervous system. If you want to try one, try a small dose for a few days before starting the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

If you have any questions, please reach out to us. I'm glad you found us.

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hey, thank you for your time!

I'll make sure to read all the information on the links you shared.

I'll also create my withdrawal history signature.

I'm really glad I found this site, it's already helping a lot!

I'm glad you found us too.

Please let us know how we can help after you read the links.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.