Sezo: Brutally stopped Paroxetine after 12 years

Sezo

Hello,

Sorry because my level of english is bad, I am frome France, 31 years old and took Paroxetine (20mg) since I’m 18 years old.

I would like to share my experience with Paroxetine.

I took paroxetine for 12 years, and had to stop it brutally because of an allergy (Tongue angioedema), I was hospitalized during 5 days, and they said me to stop Paroxetine and found another molecule, and to handle the side effets of stopping Paroxetine they prescribed me Lexomil (Bromazepam) that I still take in case of severe panick attack.

I went to see my doctor and told to him that I was good, but I am sad, with lot of panick attack, with extreme fatigue, tachychardia, he said to me that I was very strong and I didn’t need Antidepressant anymore.

After 3 months of stopping Paroxetine brutally after 12 years of treatment, I can say to everyone that is possible to end this drug, but it is so hard at the same time, no one died from tapering or stopping brutally an antidepresant even after 10 or 20 years of medication, but I still have a high level of anxiety everyday and panick attack and depersonnalization, and I am fighting against these symptoms naturally, with psychotherapy and sophrology, I can work, yes it is hard but we have to fight like animals !

Just to let you know that you are not alone and everything is possible !

love

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sezo: Brutally stopped Paroxetine after 12 years
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Sezo

You're still taking bromazepam? This is not an antidepressant, it is a benzodiazepine. How often do you take it, at what dosages? This may be related to your spells of anxiety.

We know that taking benzodiazepines is one way to partially relieve withdrawal syndrome, especially from paroxetine, which is a very difficult drug to go off. But the cost of this is that benzodiazepines also incur physiological dependency, have many adverse effects, and cause withdrawal when you go off.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, I am still taking Bromazepam 3 times a week, 3mg per take, it makes 9mg per week, it is not so much and my doctor said that this dosage won’t make me dependant

Nevertheless, I try to avoid to take more than 3 times a week, I’d rather fight these problems with my mind.

@Sezo

You can become dependent on a benzo in as little as a week. If you are taking Bromazepam 3 times a week, and have taken it for a while, your body has become dependent on it. 

You will need to taper off of this now after you are stable.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Administrator
On 2/26/2022 at 6:59 PM, Altostrata said:

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.