JaneAustenFan: Used Dr Schedule for Zoloft, then Reinstated. Help!

JaneAustenFan

Hi everyone,

I am a 26-year-old professional who was first put on Lexapro (I think 25 mg) at 18 for OCD. That stopped working after almost five years, and I was placed on Zoloft 50 mg, then 100 mg, which I have now been on for three years. I recently followed a doctor’s standard four-week schedule for tapering. I didn’t know the risks and got horribly sick (physically). My intrusive thoughts also returned worse than ever. 

In total, I was off of Zoloft for about 12 days. 

I then took 50 mg for two days and have now been taking 100 mg for ten days, but I am still having some symptoms. Notably, I have insomnia ever since starting the 100 mg. I’m currently trying to decide if I should drop to 50 mg again. I am meeting with a therapist, who has been more helpful than doctors thus far. 

Any insight or advice is appreciated. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to JaneAustenFan: Used Dr Schedule for Zoloft, then Reinstated. Help!

@JaneAustenFan

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer run site helping members like you taper off antidepressants, or have tapered off and are healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that each member only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First, can you please create a signature. Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

You reinstated at a really high dose and that could be some of the problems you are having. We suggest a small amount, usually around

1 mg and you could always increase in small amounts if necessary.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

You mentioned that you were going to speak with your dr about reinstating. Here is a link you may find helpful.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Here is some information about tapering, once you have stabilized and are ready. We don't suggest more than 10% a month, and many members go slower than that.

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

We only suggest a couple of supplements on here that are calming to the nervous system with some on here. If you want to try one, try a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

Also, for sleep you could try a small amount of melatonin and see if you have any relief.

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Melatonin

After you have read the links provided, please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions. 

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.