Felimorph: Zoloft withdrawal experience

Felimorph

Hello and thank you all for existing! 

The information you share here is very precious and I deeply appreicate all the effort the site members put into it.

I have been diagnosed with CPTSD due to childhood abuse at the beginnig of 2021. I have spent many years working on myself, be it through therapy, reading, listening to lectures etc, all the good stuff. Since the pandemic had been taking an additional toll on me, I asked my therapist are there medications that could help with the symptoms, them mainly being depression and irritability.

I was reffered to a psychiatrist that gave me Zoloft 50mg and told me that if I am able to, I should take it no longer than six months. I did, and it was fine. One of the upsides was that my mind was a lot more quet, I was more stable and less dysphoric (im *****) but the donwsides were weight gain, lack of libido and reduced imagination. Being an illustrator that was an issue for me so I knew that the meds were going to be a temporary thing.

Like we agreed on, the doc told me to take half a dose for a month (December) and then stop. I did this, got bad withdrawl, and then tried again with reducting the half to half and going slowly for another month, so I took my last dose in February.

I had some itchiness, nausea, mood swings but it was ok. I took some Reishi and Lions mane tintures and vitamins.

I was ok in March, the withdrawl was bearable, but in April it suddenly got worse. I did not get my period though I had pms symtoms. I began having (tw warning ahead)  self harm urges and suicidal thoughts that is not typical for me. I feel like they come from being overwhelmed rather than really wanting to die. I feel a lot of anger, grief, dispair, I cry a lot and feel like there is no hope, even though I objectively have a okish life. I am isolating from my friends since I dont feel like I can talk about much besides how bad I feel. My partner has been a great support but theres not much he can do. I rationally know these feelings are probably a reaction to stopping the meds, but their intensity is overwhelming and it hard to navigate my everyday life. At moments it feels like mu nervious system is on fire.

My psychiatrist gave me no warning about this, and I dont really trust her anymore since I would have been able to handle this better if someone told me. I am in the process of getting another shrink but I am weary of the idea of taking up another antidepressant since this is so intense.

I would appreciate if any advice, or just hearing similar experiences since this feels so damn lonely.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post! 

Hope you all are doing well today!

2021 Jun-Dec, Zoloft 50mg

2022 Jan-Feb, tappered off the Zoloft entirely

• ChessieCat changed the title to Felimorph: Zoloft withdrawal experience

Hi @Felimorph

welcome to SA. So sorry you are having such a difficult time with coming off of the Zoloft. It is not uncommon but unfortunately doctors do not tell their patients about this when they prescribe medicines. 

AT this point you have the option of reinstating a small dose - 1mg and lowering from that at a very slow rate. These drugs are very potent even at the low doses so with a small reinstatement like that the hope is that you will get some relief of the WD symptoms even if you don't get back to 0. Reinstatement works the sooner after WD you do it but can work even later. If things get worse after reinstating we would stop the medicine. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

This is what we think what is happening (nobody knows for sure)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

We also recommend Magnesium and Omega-3 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

We also recommend that you don't take psychoactive substances incl. alcohol, pot, street drugs, other psych meds as in WD our systems are sensitized. Even some vitamins (D and some Bs) and antibiotics can make WD worse. 

Please let us know if you'd like to reinstate and we can follow up from there. Otherwise the only thing we can do is wait it out.

Hope you start feeling better soon,
OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate