SoulSeeker: tapering off of Zoloft

SoulSeeker

Hello my name is Leanne and I am new to this sight and a little overwhelmed. I’m not sure how to use it and whether I am posting this in the proper place. Please help. I have been taking psychiatric drugs for 25 years and have decided to stop. I am currently taking Zoloft, Lamictal and Trazadone. I am tapering off of Zoloft first. I was at 200 mg daily and have been going down by 25 mg every 2 weeks. I am down to 50 mg now.  This has been a horrible struggle and I feel like I am dying. Many days I wish I would. I feel so lethargic, have a constant splitting headache, am dizzy and unstable ( I have fallen countless times),  have severe light sensitivity, have pain all over, am severely depressed or angry, have an upset stomach off and on and feel as though there are electric currents coursing through my body and that my brain is on fire! I am getting little to no sympathy from my husband and children who all expect me to act and do everything I’ve always done for them. I feel very frustrated, confused and alone through this process. 

Currently taking Lamictal 300 mg, Zoloft 25 mg, Trazadone 50 mg 

and Hormone Replacement therapy

Zoloft taper: Original dose 200 mg down to 175 mg for 2 weeks, 150 mg for 2 weeks, 125 mg for 2 weeks, 100 mg for 2 weeks, 75 mg 2 weeks, 50 mg for 2 weeks and 25 mg for 5 days

I’ve been on Zoloft for 5 years ( before that Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Pristiq and Cymbalta within a span of 20 years)

• ChessieCat changed the title to REAL NAME? tapering off of Zoloft

Hanging on by a thread

Just when I think I can’t possibly feel worse and the worst is behind me I am proved wrong by increasingly horrible symptoms. I am so depressed and lethargic that I haven’t gotten out of bed for 2 days. My head hurts so bad it’s got me in tears. I’m now sweating like I have a fever but I don’t. The electric shocks to my brain and body have gotten worse. I honestly don’t know if I can take this anymore. I’ve even been thinking about giving up on this idea and sticking with the drugs. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

Zoloft taper: Original dose 200 mg down to 175 mg for 2 weeks, 150 mg for 2 weeks, 125 mg for 2 weeks, 100 mg for 2 weeks, 75 mg 2 weeks, 50 mg for 2 weeks and 25 mg for 5 days

I’ve been on Zoloft for 5 years ( before that Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Pristiq and Cymbalta within a span of 20 years)

Is this normal?

Hi all,

I am experiencing the worst head pain I have ever had. It is not a headache. It’s different. My head feels like it is under so much pressure that my eyes are going to pop out. It feels like my brain is shaking sometimes. Other times it feels like my brain is on fire and I get the worst electric shocks where sometimes I lose my vision or even pass out. Fun times huh? Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

• ChessieCat changed the title to SoulSeeker: tapering off of Zoloft
  • Administrator

Welcome, @SoulSeeker

The first rule of going off psychiatric drugs is....stop tapering when you get withdrawal symptoms!

When was the last time you reduced Zoloft? If you went from 50mg to 25mg, if I were you, I'd immediately go back to 37.5mg. This probably will stop the withdrawal symptoms.

You will need to taper more gradually to avoid severe withdrawal, which is what you have now. Zoloft comes in a prescription liquid to enable titration, or you can make your own liquid. Here are our Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hey Altostrata,

Thanks for the help. I’m feeling a little bit better today and am going to stay the course at 25 mg but I am going to stay here for a few weeks and recover before I try to taper anymore. I’ve read instructions on how to make a liquid preparation of Zoloft from this forum so when I do continue I’ll do it more gradually. Thanks for the very informative help. This forum is amazing! Psychiatrists don’t have a clue do they? I feel like this forum is my safety net and I feel confident getting off of my psych meds with the help here. Blessings 🙏🏽

• Moderator Emeritus
Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Non-drug techniques

The important thing when tapering is to listen to your body/symptoms and hold for longer if you are not stable.

Stability

WDnormal

And Brassmonkey talks more about it here:

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
3 hours ago, SoulSeeker said:

but I am going to stay here for a few weeks

You probably should plan on holding for substantially longer than a few weeks. It's not a good idea to make a drug reduction when you are still shaky from a prior reduction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.