Dano: Head pins and needles, and anhedonia

Dano

Hi all, 

Been struggling for a while with anhedonia ever since I was put on venlafaxine. I’ve been on and off different meds ( citalapram, setraline, quitiapine) and I’m coming off mirtazapine now. All these meds where an attempt to shift the anhedonia/emotional nimbness(although I can cry for the situation I’m in). I have a one year old son who I’ve videos of me playing with him and really enjoying my time with him but now I can’t feel any joy or love when I look at him which is killing me more everyday. 
So I can’t quite pinpoint when my symptoms started but I have this pins and needles/numb sensation in the right hand side of my head/brain. Don’t think it’s a withdrawal because I’ve had it all the time I’ve been on mirtazapine and maybe before. Hard to tell if I’m still depressed because I can’t feel any positive emotions, I’ve read it’s maybe to do with the reward system. Seems weird that a lot of the time I don’t feel “sad” but how can I not when I can’t feel any positive emotions.

can anyone shed any light on what’s going on? My head is like this all the time so it’s not like the brain zaps. It’s like when your gut goes numb when you sit on it for a while but 24/7 on the right side of my head, all around my ear area.

And any success stories overcoming anhedonia would be great, I’m trying my best to stay positive but it’s really hard when I don’t feel any love, joy, connection. Even the simple things that don’t have any pressure( I put on myself because I know I should feel these things for my son) like watching sport or tv shows/films don’t promote anything in me.

Help

Citalapram 15mg upped to 30mg over about 2 months.not sure dates. 

put on venlafaxine in hospital 75-150-225 from October to December. I noticed I had severe anhedonia on this so asked to come off at 150 but they insisted at home to full dose. (But me on quitiapine 50-100mg for sleep towards the end). 2 weeks from top dose off being off(as they suggested, I didn’t know any better)

december they put me on setraline, but it give me a really bad headache so wasn’t on that very long at all. 

since then I’ve been on mirtazapine 15-30-45. Not coming down. With no positive emotions, can’t love my kids, can’t feel joy, can’t laugh, can’t get excited ever since venlafaxine! 

got a strange head sensation (not brain zaps) is a constant on the right hand side of my head. Feel like numbness and bruising of my brain… feel like it’s contributing to my lack of emotions. 

took me a couple of months but I’m down to 22.5mg, not getting any withdrawals to note, just that my lack of emotion is killing me an the head sensation is there. But they have been a problem since I was on venlafaxine in October. And not a withdrawal symptom either as I noticed them when I was on the venlafaxine.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Dano: Head pins and needles, and anhedonia

@Dano

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer run site helping members taper off psychiatric medications, or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First, can I please ask you to create a signature. Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Are you still in Mirtazapine, or are you tapering off right now? How are you tapering off, or if you tapered off how fast did you taper off? We don't suggest more than 10% a month.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

Brain Remodelling

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some links that explain anhedonia and pins and needles.

Anhedonia, apathy, demotivation, emotional numbness

We don't suggest many supplements on here except 2 as they seem to be calming to the nervous system. If you want to try one, try it in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

Please read the links that I provided and reach out to us with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.