SimonRectangle: Tapering clarification

SimonRectangle

I recently started 30mg of Mirtazapine for anxiety and depression. First time ever as a 44yo with anxiety/depression. Im planning to be on it as long as I have to, once those heart palpatations stop. 

No alcohol or drug use at all, ever. Just life's stresses, fear and overthinking got me here. Thank you for this platform to support each other.

Ive read that the recommended tapering is 10% of your current dose per month with a 2 week hold. I entered that in the Brass Monkey Scale and looks like I would need to taper for 6 years? 

I entered 30mg, 2.5% reduction per week with a 2 week hold, ends up at a 6 year process? Can someone please explain to me as simple as possible if thats correct and if not, what am I doing wrong

Started Valdroxan (Agomelatine) December 2021 to April 2022 for anxiety and depression. Was not affective enough. No need to taper, no withdrawals.

Started Mirtazapine April 2022 15mg first 10 days then up to 30mg. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to SimonRectangle: Tapering clarification

@SimonRectangle

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off of antidepressants and other medications, or have tapered off and are healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so that we can keep all your information in one place.

Can your please create a signature. Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

You are correct on the tapering information. It will take you approximately 6 years to do the Brassmonkey Slide which is easier on the CNS (central nervous system) than going to quickly.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Preparing to taper

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

Please let us know if we can answer any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thank you for all the information. I understand that the C.N.S needs to readjust but 6 years seems like a very long time for a withdrawal process, especially if someone is on it for example, for 1 year. I appreciate all the information on here to protect us from withdrawals. It just seems so long. 

Started Valdroxan (Agomelatine) December 2021 to April 2022 for anxiety and depression. Was not affective enough. No need to taper, no withdrawals.

• Moderator Emeritus

It can take as little as 1 MONTH for the brain the fully adapt to getting a psychiatric drug.  And because the brain has adapted to getting that psychiatric drug, it is the brain that will dictate how quickly you can get off it.  The 10% / 4 week protocol is a guide only.

If you have only been taking a psychiatric drug for a short time it might be possible to do a fast taper.

The idea of tapering is to sneak the drug away and allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  If you experience withdrawal symptoms after a reduction then you are tapering too much/too fast.  It is important to listen to your body/symptoms and not make another reduction until you are stable.  

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Have you ever taken any other psychiatric drugs prior to the Valdroxan?  If yes, please add that information to your drug signature.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

No, thats it. No other use of any drugs. Its the first time I have had to resort to drugs for anxiety/depression

Thank you for being so responsive and informative. Although I have a good amount of support around me, depression and anxiety is a lonely world to be in. Its good to read the success stories

Edited by ChessieCat
extracted response from quote

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, SimonRectangle said:

depression and anxiety is a lonely world to be in.

SA strongly encourages members  to learn and use non drug methods.  If you are not able to do this by yourself it is a good idea to find a counsellor who can teach you how to cope during these times.  I found it very helpful learning CBT = cognitive behaviour therapy.  Which I actually think of as Change Bad Thinking.

I think it is also important to understand that having a low mood at different times can be "normal".  My non-drugged friends tell me that they have times when they feel down.  Sometimes there is a reason for it, at other times there might not be a (known) reason.

I read a book called How I Stayed Alive When My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me: One Person's Guide to Suicide Prevention by Susan Rose Blauner.  One thing that I found really helpful was:  "it's just a feeling and feelings change".

The following is an example of using a non drug technique:  When I was out visiting a friend one day I mentioned to her that I knew that on the way home I would start feeling down because I was returning to an empty house after having enjoyed my outing.  She suggested that during my drive home I plan something enjoyable to do once I got home, which I did.  And it made a big difference to how I felt.   The funny thing was that I never did do what I planned but the suggestion definitely helped me.  And it is something that I continue to do.

Non-drug techniques

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I have moved your new topic to this one:

recommended-doctors-therapists-and-clinics

You might also read through/post in this topic:

australia-members-please-check-in-here