PeaceInside: moving through challenges

PeaceInside

Hello Everyone :)

I have been an observer of this site for the past 4 years, using it to guide me in coming off antidepressants and withdrawal. So, thank you all for all you've shared.

I want to create an introduction finally, as I have gotten through what feels like the worst of the experience and would like to relate my current challenges.

It seems that the experience of withdrawal itself created disruption in all my systems. I originally went on antidepressants for symptoms related to PTSD but they have had nothing to do with my healing from PTSD. Since the experience of withdrawal, which was for me a distinct period of windows and waves-experiencing a very wide range of physical, mental, and emotional symptoms that I had never experienced before-that lasted about 14 months, I have experienced complete changes in how my digestive, immune, endocrine, and autonomic systems are functioning. I never had any of these issues either before or during taking antidepressants, and many of the current issues I struggle with today started during withdrawal. For example, urinary frequency/urge incontinence, lack of menstruation and irregular periods, IBS, change in sex drive/sensation, chronic fatigue, chronic pain/stiffness, getting sick/infections more easily. I have seen 16 practitioners total ranging from the traditional to non for these issues and have had many tests done all coming back normal. I will say that I have been reviewing literature on this topic including scientific research (like I am sure many others on here have as well) over the past decade (since being put on medication). The only professional speculation that seems near the ballpark of what makes sense to be occurring is that withdrawal could have potentially caused limbic system dysregulation, and that while the windows and waves period of withdrawal has clearly been over for about 1.5 years, I have been left with the physiological after effects of that experience OR this is simply what protracted withdrawal looks like and things will get better over time. I do have an undying belief in the plasticity and healing capacity of the brain and body, and know that things will get better. My instincts are telling me now to try two things to help with these symptoms: working with the vagus nerve and programs like DNRS to help decrease overall inflammation and work with the brain. What are other people's thoughts are on this who experienced something similar? Is there any advice you'd give or things you've tried that helped return the brain and body to health other than time? I will say I recently attended the International Institute on Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal's 1st annual conference as well, so I am aware of the many limitations regarding understanding what is happening and resources to help.

I will add briefly as well that keeping things simple, same, and steady worked great for me during withdrawal, along with the following practices (I also did not take supplements except those I was on already-vitamin D, magnesium, and omega 3): Hatha Yoga, Yoga Nidra (especially Molly Birkholm, she is amazing), Meditation, Walking in Nature, Painting/Drawing, Audio Books, Knitting, Comedy, Associative Awareness Technique Physical Therapy, Bob Lancer's The Method (on YouTube), Guided Visualizations, and being in loving, happy company. I do have an incredibly supportive partner as well who has never doubted my experience and this has helped immensely. 

Thank You :)

2012-2013: Sertraline (100mg)

April 2013-May 2013: tapered completely off Sertraline (50mg for two weeks, then 25mg for two weeks, then none)

May 2013-November 2013: experienced severe withdrawal effects

November 2013-2018: Sertraline (100mg then up to 200mg then back to 100mg over this time)

January 2018: abrupt switch to Effexor; extreme withdrawal side effects from switch; used Lorazepam for 2 days to cope

February 2018-April 2018: abrupt switch to Prozac (maybe 30mg or 20mg?? do not remember)

April 2018-September 2019: tapered off Prozac completely using liquid form (do not remember by what increments); experienced windows and waves pattern of withdrawal

September 2019-January 2020: felt really great, better than ever before

February 2020-April 2021: experienced severe withdrawal in windows and waves pattern

April 2021-NOW: windows and waves pattern ended; experiencing drastic change in digestive, endocrine, autonomic, and immune system functioning

• Administrator

Welcome, @PeaceInside

It sounds like you got severe withdrawal after going off Prozac in September 2019. How long did waves and windows last? What are your current symptoms? Which do you attribute to withdrawal syndrome? How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 6 months?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi @Altostrata,

1. The windows and waves lasted about 14 months.

2. Currently, I am experiencing hormonal imbalances (that have led to changes in menstruation, hair growth, urinary frequency/incontinence, and sex drive), joint stiffness and chronic pain, inability to lose weight, chronic fatigue, and getting sick/infections more frequently.

3. The hormonal changes started as soon as I started tapering in 2018-I lost my pill bleed from hormonal birth control for 2 years after it had been regular for 10, it came back regular for a brief time 9 months into withdrawal, then became irregular, then I went off birth control, and it is just now maybe coming back to being regular but still unsure/fluctuating. The urinary issues (frequency), fatigue, and pain/stiffness I attribute to withdrawal-they all started about 5-6 months into it and have stayed-the fatigue got worse after windows and waves stopped. I started experiencing even more hormonal imbalance in August 2021 (about 4-5 months after the windows and waves ended) with changes in pelvic sensation and sex drive and my side effects from my birth control each month became much worse as well. I was wondering if my body had become more sensitive to the birth control itself because of withdrawal and was now reacting to its changes and such in ways it hadn't before, but of course this is speculation.

4. Within the last 6 months or so: I stopped birth control in November 2021 to see if some of this would be remedied by that-the lack of sex drive got worse-it is currently pretty non-existent and I struggle to orgasm. The change in sensation has gotten better over time as I started taking two herbal hormonal supplements-Progest & Estro Harmony. I struggled with digestive issues as a result of withdrawal as well, but probiotics have addressed that and that has returned to normal in the past 6 months. I would say the only thing that I have noticed that has changed is the lack of sex drive/orgasm-otherwise everything is pretty much the same as it has been over the past year and half or so with my main concerns being hormonal imbalance, chronic fatigue, pain/stiffness, and inability to lose weight.

5. I take a daily triple-therapy probiotic, vitamin D, omega 3, and herbal hormone supplements Progest Harmony & Estro Harmony daily. These last hormonal supplements have been able to get menstruation back but no consistency in ovulation and have helped in getting sensation in the pelvis back somewhat, however I am unsure if they'll be helpful long term. The probiotic successfully helped my digestion become healthy again.

April 2013-May 2013: tapered completely off Sertraline (50mg for two weeks, then 25mg for two weeks, then none)

November 2013-2018: Sertraline (100mg then up to 200mg then back to 100mg over this time)

January 2018: abrupt switch to Effexor; extreme withdrawal side effects from switch; used Lorazepam for 2 days to cope

February 2018-April 2018: abrupt switch to Prozac (maybe 30mg or 20mg?? do not remember)

April 2018-September 2019: tapered off Prozac completely using liquid form (do not remember by what increments); experienced windows and waves pattern of withdrawal

February 2020-April 2021: experienced severe withdrawal in windows and waves pattern

April 2021-NOW: windows and waves pattern ended; experiencing drastic change in digestive, endocrine, autonomic, and immune system functioning

• Administrator

Thanks, @PeaceInside Sounds like you might have had hormonal issues at the same time you went through withdrawal. It's very hard to say if this is related to withdrawal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...

Thanks @Altostrata As the past few months have progressed and I have been educating myself even more on this topic and speaking to more researchers, I've been thinking more and more about the role of the limbic system in withdrawal and effects on that system from severe withdrawal. I think the withdrawal caused a host of symptoms umbrellaed by hormone, digestive, nervous system, and immune dysfunction, but that one of the more lasting effects of experiencing the withdrawal itself was limbic system dysregulation as a result of the experience of such chronic stress and adaptive changes in the brain, which then sensitized my body to the birth control I was taking itself, causing even more issues after the actual withdrawal period was over that I am only now able to heal from. Most of the longer term physiological changes I have experienced started happening about 3 months into my taper. I am curious what your thoughts are on the role of limbic system here. I know there are many theories people circulate as to the mechanisms of action both during and after withdrawal. All this to say, I think my withdrawal lasted 14 months (up to March 2021) and all the health changes I have been experiencing since are the iatrogenic result of experiencing that withdrawal. All my best :)

• Administrator

I don't know what the limbic system might have to do with it, but it could be the upset from withdrawal affected the way you react to your birth control hormones. The drugs all interact in your body. Some people have to adjust their thyroid hormone when tapering.

• ChessieCat changed the title to PeaceInside: moving through challenges

Interesting, thank you! I have found Annie Hopper's DNRS program to be the thing that seems to be helping me heal and reclaim my physical health the most, hence my inquiry on the limbic system.