panther771: Hello - starting my taper

panther771

Hello all,

This is not my first taper, I have been on and off pharmaceuticals for a while now. I know I need some meds, but I have been over-prescribed and I don't know why I keep going to the doctor, he keeps messing with my prescription again and again. 

I am currently taking Sertraline, Lithium, Risperidone, Lamotrigine and (Clonazepam+Zolpidem for sleep)

Right now, I only wish to taper off Lithium and Risperidone. 

I tried cold turkey, and the first few days were hell, I was anxious, euphoric sometimes, confused(mental fog), couldn't sleep. For me, the worst symptom of any withdrawal is the sleep deprivation.

I have now restarted both lithium and risperidone at half the dose, of what I was taking before. I guess, there a downregulation of dopamine and glutamate receptors. So, the abrupt withdrawal explains the super sensitivity and the experienced symptoms. 

I am gonna see, how I respond to reduced dosage. From what I have read about Lithium, it is recommended to gradually taper for at least 4 weeks, so that's what I am trying to do.

About the dosage, I can only do half. Pills I have are not dividable. no access to liquid solutions. No pharmacists here. I am from a sh*tty country.

So, That's it. If anyone has any input, I would really appreciate it.

Before 2020:

On and off various different antidepressants, antipsychotics, benzodiazepines.

2020: Sertraline, Lithium, Clonazepam
2021 May: Tried to taper, doctor confused withdrawal with relapse, all drugs were reinstated.

2021: Lamotrigine was added for mood instability, Zolpidem for sleep, Risperidone for Treatment-resistant OCD

2022 (Currently): Sertraline(200mg), Lithium(400mg reduced from 800mg; Rebound Anxiety, Otherwise Okay), Risperidone(0.5mg reduced from 1mg), Lamotrigine(100mg), Clonazepam(2mg), Zolpidem(10mg) 

Excessive use of Nicotine(Inhaled, not Smoked) and Caffeine.

I intend to keep the sertraline and lamotrigine for a while and get rid of the rest, gradually, hopefully.

• ChessieCat changed the title to panther771: Hello - starting my taper

Hi @panther771,

I think you did the right thing by reinstating half the dose. How long were you off before you reinstated the drugs? Are your symptoms much improved? 

Usually withdrawal from antipsychotics like risperidone is characterized by the symptoms you described, as well as a few others, explained here by Chouinard: Antipsychotic-induced Dopamine Supersensitivity Psychosis. It can last for weeks, months, or even years. Generally tapering the drugs slowly reduces the severity and length of the impairment and limits the damage.

What dosage were you on when you cold-turkeyed? Can you obtain lower doses than the one you currently have? It would be very helpful if you could create a drug history in your signature like this one. This link will take you directly to the signature. Signatures generally look like this: 

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

This will allow any moderator or member to quickly see your history and where you are in your taper, and thus be able to help more easily without too much reading (most people here are volunteers and have other jobs).

I would suggest reading our topic Why Taper By 10% for your risperidone / lithium tapers. Tapering slowly helps minimize both symptoms and symptom severity, ensuring you can remain functional while you get off the drug. Reducing more quickly than 10% can be too fast for many people, and as you get to lower doses you may want to slow the reduction even further, since receptor occupancy of these drugs tends to decrease more rapidly at lower doses. Here are specific tips for tapering risperidone and lithium. It's recommended that you only taper one drug at once, since withdrawal symptoms from different drugs can be similar and tapering more than one may make determining the source of your symptoms more difficult. 

In the meantime, you might find some of these non drug coping techniques helpful to ease your symptoms. Hope you are recovering ok from your CT : )

Remeron - 2004-2005 (bad withdrawal)

Clonazepam - 2005-2018 (jumped around March)

Olanzapine - 2014- late 2017

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Many drugs in between including Lexapro, other benzos and z-drugs.

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone. 

@DataGuy Hi, Thank you for the response and tips.

I was taking 800mg Lithium, and 1mg Risperidone. Risperidone can be cut in half, so, that's what I am doing now. I can't go any lower, the pill is very small.

I am taking Lithium SR, although there are no lines on it, it can be cut, any way you want, but, it wouldn't be very accurate, I mean into 4 quarters, so I guess, 100mg per quarter(400mg tablet). Assuming, each quarter has equal proportions of lithium.

The first day, I cold-turkeyed, I had trouble sleeping, then it got worse, I noticed extreme confusion while driving, so I got scared, around 72 hours after cold-turkeying, I woke up in the middle of the night, with stiff muscles, I panicked, and re-instated. I believe, I am better than before, but it's only been 2 days since reinstating...I am keeping a log of the symptoms.

I will go through the guides you provided. Thank you.

Before 2020:

2021 May: Tried to taper, doctor confused withdrawal with relapse, all drugs were reinstated.

2021: Lamotrigine was added for mood instability, Zolpidem for sleep, Risperidone for Treatment-resistant OCD

2022 (Currently): Sertraline(200mg), Lithium(400mg reduced from 800mg; Rebound Anxiety, Otherwise Okay), Risperidone(0.5mg reduced from 1mg), Lamotrigine(100mg), Clonazepam(2mg), Zolpidem(10mg) 

I intend to keep the sertraline and lamotrigine for a while and get rid of the rest, gradually, hopefully.

Im not a moderator here, but want to share something. I didn’t read this at the beginning and I really think its all very important…

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forum/2-read-this-first/ 

Best of luck. We came to the right place to start this journey. Welcome

2002-2021: 19 yrs on/off psychotropics

2/2022: Wellbutrin 150mg, Lexapro 20mg  3/22: Wellbutrin 150mg xl, Lexapro 10mg    4/22: Wellbutrin 150xl, Lexapro 5mg 

4/2022: Lexa 7.5mg total, Wellbutrin 150mg    5/2022: Wellb 112.5mg xl, Lexa 7.5mg (Stopped Clonazepam & Hydroxyzine- didn't take often)

6/2022: Welbutrin 111mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg          8/2022: Wellbutrin 100mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg            10/9/22: Wellbutrin 100 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg

11/3/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg       11/30/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6 mg

3/15/23: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.2 mg???

Other Daily Meds: Singulair 10mg, Zyrtec 10mg, Spiriva Respimat inhaler.  Rarely taking: OTC pain relievers, Diclofenac, Cyclobenzaprine, anti acids

SupplementsFish oil 1300mg, Nigella oil, Mag Glycinate 200mg, Probiotics 30 billion, 1/5 dose prenatals, Melatonin .38mg, (Reishi, Lion's Mane & psilocybin microdosing by cycles)

14 hours ago, panther771 said:

@DataGuy Hi, Thank you for the response and tips.

I was taking 800mg Lithium, and 1mg Risperidone. Risperidone can be cut in half, so, that's what I am doing now. I can't go any lower, the pill is very small.

I am taking Lithium SR, although there are no lines on it, it can be cut, any way you want, but, it wouldn't be very accurate, I mean into 4 quarters, so I guess, 100mg per quarter(400mg tablet). Assuming, each quarter has equal proportions of lithium.

The first day, I cold-turkeyed, I had trouble sleeping, then it got worse, I noticed extreme confusion while driving, so I got scared, around 72 hours after cold-turkeying, I woke up in the middle of the night, with stiff muscles, I panicked, and re-instated. I believe, I am better than before, but it's only been 2 days since reinstating...I am keeping a log of the symptoms.

I will go through the guides you provided. Thank you.

You're welcome @panther771,

Was just looking at the available dosages of Risperidone and it seems it does come in 0.25mg tablets. Maybe you could get the doctor to prescribe those? Would make tapering a bit easier. You'll also note from the Risperdal tapering guide that you can cut up or crush the pills and use a digital scale to get an accurate weight for tapering. Withdrawal symptoms from large reductions can be pretty rough and can last quite a long time, so this is definitely worth looking into. 

Excellent that you are keeping a log of symptoms. Important to have something like that to refer back to if you need it. 

Remeron - 2004-2005 (bad withdrawal)

Clonazepam - 2005-2018 (jumped around March)

Olanzapine - 2014- late 2017

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Many drugs in between including Lexapro, other benzos and z-drugs.

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone. 

@DataGuy Unfortunately, in my country, the lowest available dose is 1mg...which can be cut in half...so, can't go any lower than 0.5, I guess...However, I just checked, liquid solutions and suspensions are available at 1mg/ml...I don't know, how I will measure 0.25mg...Syringes, maybe...

Before 2020:

I think 0.5 cc is 0.5 ml...So, Insulin syringes might work...I am not sure...

Before 2020:

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, panther771 said:

I think 0.5 cc is 0.5 ml...So, Insulin syringes might work...I am not sure...

Yes this is correct.

From https://www.convertunits.com/from/cc/to/ml

1 cc to ml = 1 ml

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Your new topic has been merged with an existing topic.  There are many existing topic on SA.  SA likes to keep similar information in one place to make it easier for members to find.  Before creating a new topic please search to see if one already exists.  You can use the site search function or a search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.  To find this topic I used the term heart.

You can find it here:

irregular-heartbeats-palpitations-tachycardia-bradycardia

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management