John13: tapering amitriptyline drops

John13

Original topic title before correcting:  Tampering amitriptyline drops

I've been taking 2 drops of laroxyl (amitriptyline) for now 1 year 3 months. Before I was taking laroxyl along with other antidepressants. My doctor has tampered the other drugs and I successfully stopped. However I continued to take amitriptyline as it help me sleep at night. I think I've taken the medication for a too long time. I'm now feel different when tampering the medication. I try to alternate by taking one day 2 drops and one day 1 drop. But one of the symptoms I'm getting is difficulty falling asleep at night. The other symptoms seems a bit difficult to describe. What do you recommend.?

Thanks for your time and consideration

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before correcting

I've been taking amitriptyline drop for a little bit more than 1 year now. I was also given other medication which I successfully taper down and stop few months after having taken it. After one year 2 months now of taking 2 drop of laroxyl 40mg/ml. I am finding it difficult to withdraw the medication. My doctor advised me to alternate by taking 1 day 2 drops and the other day 1 drop. But i don't sleep that well when I don't take the 2 drops. So after 1 month alternating I start to take 2 drops again. Hope survivingantidepressants will help me definitely stop laroxyl. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Tapering amitriptyline drops
  • ChessieCat changed the title to John13: tapering amitriptyline drops

Hi @John13

welcome to SA. First off, if you want to come off of your medicines you should taper them very slowly, at no more than 10% of your previous dose every 4 weeks. Here is the reason why: 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

You should also not skip days or have different doses on different days. Consistency is key for your brain. 

This thread answers a lot of questions on tapering: 

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

and if you want a video format, this video is very helpful in explaining what you need to do to come off of your drugs. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSjYH044-2Q

Can you please list your drug history in your signature so we are better able to help you in the future? 

How to List Drug History in Signature - Introductions and updates - Surviving Antidepressants

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

This thread has links to important information about symptoms - esp sleep. 

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

This is what you can expect during withdrawal: 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

We recommend that our members not take any any psychoactive substances like pot, alcohol, other drugs because they make withdrawal worse. However, we recommend magnesium and Omega-3 as many (not all) members find them useful. You can read more about them here: 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Please take time to read the above links and let us know if you have any questions. 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Hi @Onmyway,

I recently see a new psychiatrist to taper my laroxyl I talk about tapering 10%. But she told me to one day take my usual dose of 2 drops of laroxyl and the next day 1 drop. And I should continue to alternate like this. And she also add a supplement mag 2 amp. She also gave me supportive psychotherapy. Should I opt this way?

I've been taking amitriptyline drop for a little bit more than 1 year now. I was also given other medication which I successfully taper down and stop few months after having taken it. After one year 2 months now of taking 2 drop of laroxyl 40mg/ml. I am finding it difficult to withdraw the medication. My doctor advised me to alternate by taking 1 day 2 drops and the other day 1 drop. But i don't sleep that well when I don't take the 2 drops. So after 1 month alternating I start to take 2 drops again. Hope survivingantidepressants will help me definitely stop laroxyl. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

• Moderator Emeritus
12 minutes ago, John13 said:

But she told me to one day take my usual dose of 2 drops of laroxyl and the next day 1 drop. And I should continue to alternate like this.

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

OnMyWay has already stated the following about different doses on different days:

7 hours ago, Onmyway said:

You should also not skip days or have different doses on different days. Consistency is key for your brain. 

From what I have found Laroxyl is amitriptyline:

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Psychotherapy is good and the magnesium also (you don't need ampules though, pills are ok and likely cheaper) but the advice on tapering is wrong. Many doctors first don't admit that withdrawal exists and then give very bad tapering advice which is why sites like SA exist and why so many of us suffer. You need to take a consistent dose of the drug - every day, the same amount of drug. I would also use syringes rather than drops as drops can vary in size. Pls see Chessiecat's link on tapering amitriptyline. 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Thanks for the advice @ChessieCatand @Onmyway. How do I convinced my psychiatrist to taper my medication by 10%. I thought maybe the dose was too small to dissolved in water. I take 2 drops of laroxyl everyday (that is 2 mg of amitriptyline). 

• Moderator Emeritus
23 minutes ago, John13 said:

How do I convinced my psychiatrist to taper my medication by 10%.

You don't need to convince your psychiatrist to taper your drug by 10%.  Just like many other members here at SA you will need to learn how to self advocate and tell them in a gentle way that you would prefer to go more slowly.  Some members don't even tell their doctor that they are tapering.  This is something that only you can do, we cannot do it for you. 

The thing that you need is to be able to continue getting a prescription for your drug for the length of your taper.  In many countries family doctors can write the prescription; it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist.

And remember, the way you taper your drug is not going to affect the doctor/psychiatrist, it is you who is going to be affected if you go too quickly.  Some things that have happened to SA members who have gone too fast:  end up with broken relationship/s, end up losing their job, have to move in with family of friend, end up bedridden.  Some end up changing their drug and/or adding more drugs and it doesn't work and things get worse.

how-to-talk-to-a-doctor-about-tapering-and-withdrawal-what-to-expect

Please watch this video.  But note that SA's taper rate is no more than 10% of the current dose with a hold of at least 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  And it is important to listen to your body/symptoms and do no keep tapering if you are not stable.

Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

@ChessieCat Thanks for the advice. But how should I proceed with the 10% tapering. Should I put 2 drops in 10 cl of water for example and throw and drink 9 cl of the water. Then 8.1 cl of the water. But is the laroxyl drop dissolved equally in the water. Or will it be more concentrated at the bottom. Thanks again for helping 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Onmyway said:

I would also use syringes rather than drops as drops can vary in size.

Onmyway has already mentioned that using a small syringe would be more accurate.  You can get 1mL/1cc and sometimes 0.5mL/0.5cc which you might get online of from a veterinarian.

You are discussing cl for your liquid which from what I have found online is:

1cl = 10mL/10cc

The prescription liquid contains water which means that it is okay to dilute it with water:

From https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/6910/smpc

6. Pharmaceutical particulars

6.1 List of excipients

Methyl hydroxybenzoate (E218)

Propyl hydroxybenzoate (E216)

Propylene glycol

Ascorbic acid

Orange flavour 10950-56 (contains ethanol).

Orange/tangerine flavour 10888-56 (contains ethanol).

Sucralose powder

Liquid maltitol

Purified water

Q:  What dose in mg are you currently taking?

Q:  How much in cl are you taking?

Q:  What amount is 1 drop equal to; please ensure you clearly state the unit of measurement?  If you can, please state both dose mg and liquid amount.

Once we know these numbers it will be easier for us to help you work out what amount of water to use and how much to take.

@ChessieCat I'm currently taking 2 drops of this in 10cl of water. The laroxyl drop by teofarma. I don't understand too much how much amitriptyline is in there in the drop I think it's 40 mg per ml

IMG-20220603-WA0001 (1).jpg

• Moderator Emeritus

Please double check my calculations.

I've done a translation using deepL:

40 mg pour 1 ml de solution     40 mg for 1 ml of solution

1 goutte = 1 mg                          1 drop = 1 mg

2 drops = 2mg in 10cl / 100mL/cc water

If you have been taking 2 drops and want to make a 10% reduction you multiple the amount of liquid by 0.9.

Because you are working with a percentage when you calculate the percentage for each of the measurements it will be the same.  So the amount of liquid you would take would be 9cl or 90mL depending on what you are using to measure the liquid.  The dose is also calculated by multiplying by 0.9 so you can see what dose you would be taking.

2mg x 0.9 = 1.8mg

10cl x 0.9 = 9cl

100mL/cc x 0.9 = 90mL

The next reduction would be calculated on the new dose so:

1.8mg x 0.9 = 1.62mg

9cl x 0.9 = 8.1cl

90mL/cc x 0.9 = 81mL/cc

I hope that helps.

• Moderator Emeritus

40 mg pour 1 ml de solution     40 mg for 1 ml of solution

Divide both sides by 40:

1mg dose = 0.0025cl or 0.025mL/cc

@ChessieCat  I also got 10cl to 9cl to 8.1 cl of water. I was thinking of putting the 2 drops in the 10cl of water and then remove 10% from that water. I thought it will also deduct 10% concentration of the water by doing that. I'm a bit lost on the 1.8 and 1.62 calculation.