MentalBrain: Intro and low-dose Xanax taper question

MentalBrain

Hey everyone,

Since late December 2021, I’ve been taking half a .25mg Xanax pill (0.125mg) every night before bed. At the time, I was experiencing severe anxiety and insomnia as a result of that anxiety. I tried a lot of different things, but the .125mg of Xanax was the only thing that consistently would let me sleep. Even then my sleep was not great, but at least I could sleep.

Aside from taking one 0.125mg dose once daily, I will occasionally take another 0.125mg dose during the day to manage times of more severe anxiety. This might happen up to 3 times in a week, or not at all. I am not taking any other medication besides Xanax.

Since then, I’ve managed to greatly improve my anxiety through non-medication methods, and my sleep is much better. I’m at the point where I’d like to stop taking the Xanax.

If I understand the half-life concept correctly, the levels of Xanax in my body are getting down to a quarter of the previous dose by the time I take my next dose. So 0.03125mg. I’m wondering if I need to go through a very slow taper for such a small dose, or can I taper more quickly, or even just stop cold turkey?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Xanax/alprazolam: mid Dec 2021 - Present - 0.125mg

@MentalBrain

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping members taper off psychiatric medications or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that each member only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First, I know you said you only take Xanax, but can you please create a signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Even though you are taking a small amount of Xanax, your body has now become dependent on it. It only takes about 14 days for you to become dependent on a benzo. And taking it inconsistently, as you are "here and there" during the day can cause even more problems. If you are going to take it during the day, you need to take it everyday at the same time.

You will need to taper off of the small dose you are on unfortunately.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Preparing to taper

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

You may be able to find a dr that would work with you on your taper on this list:

Benzo-wise doctors who will assist in benzodiazepine tapering

If you have any further questions after reading these links please reach out.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

@Frogie

Thanks for the reply! In reading the links you shared, I was able to answer most of my questions.

Just to clarify: I take 0.125mg at the same time every day. I might take an additional 0.125mg as needed, which might happen up to three times in a week. I haven't experienced any negative symptoms in 6 months of doing this, so my assumption has been I'm not making things any worse by taking an additional dose occasionally. Am I wrong about that?

I'm not too worried about withdrawal symptoms, but I'll start off with a 10% reduction for 4 weeks and see how it goes. If I don't experience any withdrawal symptoms, I'll probably be willing to take some risk with doing bigger reductions after that.

Xanax/alprazolam: mid Dec 2021 - Present - 0.125mg