Peanut: Lexapro 10+ years

Peanut

I suffer from severe depression. I don't remember not feeling depressed (being 6 and just crying and crying). Prozac was prescribed at the age of 21.  Stopped working after 6 months.  One and off for years until a steady dose of well button 150 ml for years, celexa for 6 months, and eventually lexapro 20mg for the past 10 + years. I tried to taper off the lexapro last year during a very vulnerable time. Even went to a psychiatrist who gave me the 7 day taper regimen.  I quickly threw in the towel and went back up to 20mg. January 2022 I decided I was in a better place and time to taper again.  I went way to fast, from 20 to 10. After severe side effects with no idea why, I found this group.  I slowed down my taper and found a nurse practitioner who is much more understanding with my taper. I keep a calendar of my taper which is so important. Of course I thought I'd be able to taper more quickly then I read, but absolutely no way. Not to mention after my brain has been taking this for 10 years, how can I expect it to successfully withdraw in under 1 year?  Of course my n.p. wasn't so accepting of the smaller increments, but after describing my symptoms she changed her tone.  Besides the mood swings, dizziness, nausea, body sweats, headaches, anxiety, diarrhea, stomach aches, depression, my sexual side effects have had me scared.  Not much is mentioned about sexual side effects during tge taper process. For 10 years my inability to orgasm was the norm. The constant numbness and hypersensitivity took hours to achieve an orgasm. Now that I'm tapering, I have to figure out how to have an orgasm. I've had to increase the pressure but still struggle with numbness. I've read the forums where people never get their sexual ability back, but I will not accept that.  I noticed that recently I was on 6.25 for about 3 weeks and it took less time to achieve an orgasm.  But, then I decided to continue the taper with 5mg and bye bye easier orgasm. 

Back to my taper, I've thrown in 2 days with the 5mg during the week (spread out) And i was okay, but I started the every other day and I'm not doing so well. I may have to do 2 days 6.25 then 1 day of 5.  This taper has been such a nasty roller coaster of physical and mental challenges which only motivates me more to get off of this. Once I get down to 5mg, I think I may stay there for several months before I start to taper again.  If I can handle this roller coaster of tapering, I can handle my depressive symptoms once off the lexapro.  

20 mg Lexapro 10 + years

2021 attempted to taper according to Dr. 10 mg 4 weeks then 5 mg.  Couldn't handle it, went back up to 10mg for 2 weeks then to 20 mg.

Tapered way too fast from 1/2022 - 6/6/2022 to 6.25 mg

Started 5 mg pill and 1.5 liquid 7/25/2022

• ChessieCat changed the title to Peanut: Lexapro 10+ years

@Peanut

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychiatric medications, or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First can you please create a signature.

How to List Drug History in Signature

It looks like you are tapering Lexapro way too quickly. We don't suggest more than 10% a month and many go slower than that.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

The brain likes consistency and alternating days is not consistent.  Alternating doses is almost as bad as skipping doses, as the medication does not stay steady in your system and causes more problems.

Don't take different doses different days.

Considerations about "Stability" - Stop jumping around!

Here is some information on nausea that you might find helpful.

What to Do for Nausea, Queasiness

Digestive Problems

Yoga for Nausea - Allannah at YogaYin  

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction PSSD

You should hold at 6.25 mg, taking this dose at the same time everyday until you stabilize and then resume tapering. 

Stabilising After a Reduction - What Does That Mean?

We don't suggest supplements here as they can be too stimulating to the CNS (central nervous system) but 2. If you want to try one, try a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

After you have read the links provided please reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Administrator

Welcome, @Peanut

On 7/21/2022 at 5:59 AM, Peanut said:

I noticed that recently I was on 6.25 for about 3 weeks and it took less time to achieve an orgasm.  But, then I decided to continue the taper with 5mg and bye bye easier orgasm. 

Back to my taper, I've thrown in 2 days with the 5mg during the week (spread out) And i was okay, but I started the every other day and I'm not doing so well.

You can make yourself very sick by taking Lexapro irregularly. First off, please go back to 6.25mg Lexapro, be sure to take the same dose at the same time each day.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Dude you are going WAY to ******* fast you are going to hurt yourself, trust me, your d*ck not working is NOT worth incapacitating your entire life, which is exactly what you are starting to do. Either continue to stay on it on the current dose and leave it alone, but do NOT keep speeding off it you are going to get hurt.

As someone who got off his prozac for a very similar reason, yes, my d*ck numbness completely went away and it works now but it is the ONLY thing that works, I lost my job, my sleep, constant headaches, kindled, hypersensitive, horrific mind numbing anxiety, the thing works but i am so hypersensitive and incapacitated to everything i couldn't find a girl to use it with if i even WANTED TO, stop speeding off!

Klonopin Mar 2013 - Feb 2021 - used .000 gram scale to cut pills did very slowly from 2017-2021, had no issues stopping after final dose that was sub .5mg diazepam equivalent (If anyone wants advice for tapering Klonopin with a gram scale, feel free to ask!)

tapered off zyprexa twice over 2 weeks in my 20's, had little issue with that after about 3-4 years of use both times.

Prozac 40MG for 5 years - 2016 - 2021 (Total of 13 years of consecutive use)

(Most recent after last break, been on cumulatively in my life 14 years all times combined, 3 separate on/off occasions, all successful except most recent 3/4)

Recent Issue:  Tapered gradually from 40MG down to 0MG from May 7th - Aug 18th

Felt fine through Oct 5th, slowly started getting depression, panic, and anxiety (Was original thing I was treated for)

Decided to go back on SSRI Nov 1st, reacted very bad to 20mg reinstatement, day 1 was fine, day 2 had ADR. Doctor said to drop dosage.

Took 5mg for 2 weeks, 10mg for 2 weeks, still felt physically sick, could not take 20mg for more than 3 days, looking for advice going forward (ADR)

Not happy about it, but on 1.5mg 3x ativan and temazepam 15mg for sleep

(Was sleeping 2-3 hrs nightly prior to temazepam, was first thing that broke 2-3 hr then wide awake sleep cycle)

Main symptoms: headaches from certain foods and meds, sleep is broken, anxiety and agitation is extremely high, cortisol spike sensitive, bad in morning better at night, panic attacks, concentration is awful, focus is awful, anhedonia is awful, sensitive to light and noise, especially noise, extreme depression, intense bouts of fear, every looks and feels 'scary' at times, stress tolerance extremely low, have bouts of extreme anxiety, and bouts akathesia, and bouts extreme anticipatory anxiety over basic events/tasks. Nervous system is clearly crashed.

No Prozac for 249 days.

I appreciate the feedback. My n.p. absolutely will not give me liquid lexapro. I went up to 6.5 and will hold for awhile. I am doing 5mg pill and the rest liquid with water dilution.  I hope I am diluting it correctly as I'm using the instructions from another post. My n.p had me going faster then the 10% and doing the every other day or every two days process. I plan on going much much slower at the 10%.   Btw, I am a female. 

20 mg Lexapro 10 + years

2021 attempted to taper according to Dr. 10 mg 4 weeks then 5 mg.  Couldn't handle it, went back up to 10mg for 2 weeks then to 20 mg.

• Administrator

Any licensed prescriber can prescribe liquid escitalopram. Why does your NP refuse?

We need this: follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On 7/28/2022 at 11:07 PM, Peanut said:

I appreciate the feedback. My n.p. absolutely will not give me liquid lexapro. I went up to 6.5 and will hold for awhile. I am doing 5mg pill and the rest liquid with water dilution.  I hope I am diluting it correctly as I'm using the instructions from another post. My n.p had me going faster then the 10% and doing the every other day or every two days process. I plan on going much much slower at the 10%.   Btw, I am a female. 

Male or female pssd it is not worth rushing off

Klonopin Mar 2013 - Feb 2021 - used .000 gram scale to cut pills did very slowly from 2017-2021, had no issues stopping after final dose that was sub .5mg diazepam equivalent (If anyone wants advice for tapering Klonopin with a gram scale, feel free to ask!)

tapered off zyprexa twice over 2 weeks in my 20's, had little issue with that after about 3-4 years of use both times.

Prozac 40MG for 5 years - 2016 - 2021 (Total of 13 years of consecutive use)

(Most recent after last break, been on cumulatively in my life 14 years all times combined, 3 separate on/off occasions, all successful except most recent 3/4)

Recent Issue:  Tapered gradually from 40MG down to 0MG from May 7th - Aug 18th

Felt fine through Oct 5th, slowly started getting depression, panic, and anxiety (Was original thing I was treated for)

Decided to go back on SSRI Nov 1st, reacted very bad to 20mg reinstatement, day 1 was fine, day 2 had ADR. Doctor said to drop dosage.

Took 5mg for 2 weeks, 10mg for 2 weeks, still felt physically sick, could not take 20mg for more than 3 days, looking for advice going forward (ADR)

Not happy about it, but on 1.5mg 3x ativan and temazepam 15mg for sleep

(Was sleeping 2-3 hrs nightly prior to temazepam, was first thing that broke 2-3 hr then wide awake sleep cycle)

Main symptoms: headaches from certain foods and meds, sleep is broken, anxiety and agitation is extremely high, cortisol spike sensitive, bad in morning better at night, panic attacks, concentration is awful, focus is awful, anhedonia is awful, sensitive to light and noise, especially noise, extreme depression, intense bouts of fear, every looks and feels 'scary' at times, stress tolerance extremely low, have bouts of extreme anxiety, and bouts akathesia, and bouts extreme anticipatory anxiety over basic events/tasks. Nervous system is clearly crashed.

No Prozac for 249 days.

Since using the 5mg pill and 1.5 mg. Liquid, I have bad symptoms.  I am hoping that I am adjusting the liquid correctly or if I should use something other then water.  I use 2.5 mg and mix it with 5ml water and use my pipette for 3ml. I take it at the same time every day.  Today is day 14 since starting the liquid.  Any suggestions or advice???

20 mg Lexapro 10 + years

• Administrator

No further discussion until you summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.