HollyB: Zoloft 25mg for 6 weeks - decided to taper

HollyB

Hello - 

I'm a healthy 57 year old woman that has always been a bit anxious, but nothing too debilitating.  I started getting insomnia years ago when I travel (or during particularly stressful times), and the problem has only grown and evolved into a bit of phobia. I can sleep fine at home during my normal routine, but when I have to sleep during travel or important events I get horrible insomnia. I can successfully treat this with a low dose of Xanax, but I don't like that I have to do that.  So 6 months ago I saw a psychiatrist to talk about treating the intermittent insomnia with an SSRI. He was like - "sure thing!  try it!"  I filled the scrip and then sat on if for a few months as I was on the fence. My last bit of insomnia happened in May when I had a very stressful week - my mother-in-law visited and my son got in a car wreck. (he's okay but was stressful).  I had over the top insomnia so I decided to finally try 25 mg of Zoloft for anxiety.  So, I had horrible symptoms the first 5-6 weeks - mainly - GI, more anxiety and more insomnia!   Most of the side effects are now just starting to go away. I'm in my 6th week.  Even though I feel less anxious and the Zoloft induced insomnia side-effect seem to be going away, I have been reading nonstop about the dangers and problems with SSRIs. I also in the last 3 weeks began working with a therapist who is working with me on Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Insomnia and it's making a lot of sense and I feel hopeful!  So, I thoroughly regret starting Zoloft!  I should have started CBT-I therapy first!  I've decided I would rather have what's behind "door number 1" which is "I run a little anxious / I take xanax on travel days / I'm learning how to handle insomnia with CBT-I" instead of what's behind "door number 2" which is "My anxiety has been lowered on a daily basis / I'm more relaxed / but I'm exposing myself to side effects and possible SSRI addiction and possible bad health effects (lower bone mineral density, dementia, etc)"    Door #2 just seems like a better choice.  But now I'm so sad that I may have messed up my brain with 6 weeks of Zololft. I've been reading that if you've been on SSRI's for 4 weeks or less you probably won't have withdrawal.  I'm at 6 weeks - darn it!   So today I began removing 10%.  I have 25 mg pills and I simply cut off the end of one. Not very exact at all but I don't know what else to do.  I feel a little thick headed today, so maybe I'm already feeling the withdrawal.  I'm sad about this. I hope I can get off of these successfully and learn to manage anxiety the natural way - therapy, sunlight, exercise, connection, healthy diet, omega 3's, and more.  Fingers crossed that I haven't done real damage. 

June 10, 2022 - 25 mg Zoloft

July 25, 2022 - began 10% taper

I meant to say "door number 1" sounds like a better choice.  

• ChessieCat changed the title to HollyB: Zoloft 25mg for 6 weeks - decided to taper
  • Administrator

Welcome, @HollyB

How are you feeling, with your dosage reduction?

We recommend a gradual, systematic taper. Using a liquid form or combining a tablet with liquid is the easiest way to accomplish this. Since you've got 25mg tablets, you might take half a tablet (12.5mg) and complete your daily dose with 12.5mg liquid. You'd taper from the liquid portion. See

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? 

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I noticed a headache the last two days.  But not today, because I could see that my cut was unintentionally smaller than the last two days.  The thought of acquiring liquid sertraline or crushing and weighing the pills seems very stressful to me, as I feel I'll get something wrong.  Is there one link that has ALL the information?  I will click on the link you already provided on sertraline. Maybe that has everything.  I was hoping I could just cut the pill, and still might try. 😞

So I did read some things here, but can't seem to find the exact instructions on how to crush a pill into a powder, weigh it, and swallow the dosage.  I did see people posting pictures of empty capsule containers. Do I crush my 25 mg tablets into powder and then weigh the powdered pill on my gemini scale and remove the percentage that I want to reduce?  If so, then how would I swallow the powder?  Do I need to put it in a capsule to swallow it?  Again - sorry but I can't find those exact instructions.  I just ordered the Gemini scale.

Hi @HollyB

I am also currently tapering the same drug.   Originally I was shaving tablets to get the right weight and Chessiecat suggested I dissolve in water. I was a bit nervous about it so held of for a while, but then I tried it. Soooo easy and so much easier than crushing and weighing.

So what i do is:

Dissolve a 50mg tablet in a small jar with 50ml water (5 x 10ml syringe). They dissolve really quickly, then I give the jar a shake.

I am on 33mg at the moment so I remove 17ml using the syringe and put down the sink, and then drink the 30ml that's left.

The massive pro of this method is that you don't have to prepare/weight pills each time you take them, or find the time to prepare say a weeks worth etc.

Sertraline (Lustral):  2014. Sept 50mg. Oct 100mg. Dec 150mg. 2015-2019. 150mg. 2019  Apr-May 0mg. Beg May 150mg. End May 100mg. Late June 125mg. Late Aug 100mg. 2020 Jan 75mg. April 50mg.

2022  50mg. 1Jan 45mg. 1Feb 40.5mg. Water T24Feb 39.5mg. 3Mar 38.5mg. 18Mar 38mg. 25Mar 37.5mg. 22Apr 37mg. 5May 36.5mg. 18May 36mg. 1Jun 35.3mg. 15Jun 34.5mg.  30Jun 34mg. 15Jul 33.5mg. 22Jul 33mg. 5Aug 32.5mg. 19Aug 32mg. 1Sept 31.5mg. 1Oct 31mg.  27 Oct 30.5. 16 Nov 30mg. 30 Nov 29.5mg. 14 Dec 29mg

2023. 2 Jan 28.5mg. 6 Feb 28mg. 10 Mar 27.5mg. 1 Apr 26.5mg. 1 May 26mg. 1 Jun 25.5mg. 1 Jul 25mg. 1 Aug 24.5mg. 17 Aug 24mg. 5 Sept 23.5mg. 9 Oct 23mg.

Desogestrel:  2014 -  present:  

Supplements Magnesium. 400mcg  Vitamin D. 10mcg.  Multivit/min. 1 tab. B Complex

Certirizine:   2022 May 10mg. Dec 20mg. 2023. 15mg.

Omeprazole.:  2016 20mg. 2022  20mg.  15Jan 15mg. 9Feb 10mg. 25Feb 6.5mg. 15Mar 3mg. 3Apr 1.5mg.  15Apr 0mg   2023. 20mg. 15 Sept 15mg.

• Administrator

Zoloft or sertraline liquid is available by prescription. You may find that easier. Your doctor has to write the prescription. Check with your pharmacy for the cost.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.