Bunny: 5mg olanzapine / Zyprexa taper

Bunny

Hello is anyone currently tapering off 5 mgs of zyprexa or olanzapine using brass monkey sliding scale or microtaper? How do you do it with water? Someone told me you dissolve 5mg of zyprexa in 50 mL of water and do 2.5 percent reductions for four weeks then hold for two weeks. Is anyone else doing this? Or something similar? I’m still trying to figure out how to use this site and do my introduction but I don’t know how. Please any advice on tapering would be appreciated. 

40 mg viibryd since 2019

10 mg Valium at bedtime

10 mg Valium as needed on rough hormonal days ( post pmdd surgery)

azelastine and Flonase and xyzal (for allergies)

20mg to 5 mg zyprexa since 2018

currently on 5 mg zyprexa hoping to brass monkey slide taper after I taper from gabapentin. 

300mg gabapentin twice a day since January 2022 hoping to microtaper 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Bunny: 5mg olanzapine / Zyprexa taper

Hello everyone. Bunny here :) I am new to this site and learning how to use this site. I joined this group because I am currently taking 5 mgs of zyprexa and 300 mgs of gabapentin.  

my journey with zyprexa started in 2018 when I was diagnosed with pre menstrual dysphoric disorder. I was given it to sleep. Initially 5 mgs. Once I had treatment for pmdd I was increased further up all the way to 20 mg my doctor thinking it would help my pre menstrual dysphoric disorder (pmdd) it made me sleep all day and I gained a lot of weight. Over the years I was able to drop by 5 mg until I reached 5 mg a few years ago. My doctor said I could go to 2.5 mg then off the drug. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. So here I am. Here to learn how to get off this medication safely and with as little withdrawals as possible. It stopped helping me sleep about two years ago. 
I started gabapentin this January 2022 to help my anxiety from my pmdd. Even after treatment I still have some sort of pmdd. I experimented with different doses and settled on 300 mg twice a day. 400 mg made me feel numb. I settled at 300 mg three times a day but realized after a while that it gave me loss of memory and sexual dysfunction. I got rid of the midday dose with a little bit of withdrawal but I’ve settled on 300 mg twice a day. My doctor said I could reduce to 200 mg twice a day and it was worse most frightening experience. I had the most severe anxiety, panic, intrusive thoughts you could imagine. I reinstated my dose back to 300 twice a day. It took a month to feel back to normal. I too want to withdraw safely from this medicine safely and with little to know with drawls. This is my introduction. I hope I did this right. 
I’m glad to be here. 
- Bunny 

40 mg viibryd since 2019

10 mg Valium at bedtime

currently on 5 mg zyprexa hoping to brass monkey slide taper after I taper from gabapentin. 

@Bunny

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychiatric medications or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page, just as @ChessieCat gave you the link so you will receive information on here, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only use the link that she gave you so we can keep all your information in one place. 

We don't suggest more than a 10% a month taper as it can cause too many withdrawal symptoms. I see you talk about the Brassmonkey Slide, but I'm going to give you some information to read about it as well.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The slowness of slow tapers

Brass Monkey Slide

Tips for tapering off gabapentin (Neurontin)

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

Here are some links that you may find helpful also.

Stabilising After a Reduction - What Does That Mean?

Withdrawal Normal Description

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

We don't suggest supplements on here except 2 as they can be stimulating to the nervous system. If you want to try one try a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

If you have any questions don't hesitate to tag me @Frogie and I will be happy to help you. I'm glad we got you on the right track now so you can use the site. It is packed with information😊

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thank you so much @Frogie I hope I got this right. I will read through the information you gave me soon :)

40 mg viibryd since 2019

10 mg Valium at bedtime

@Bunny

You got it right. Now you can read the information provided.

You've got this!

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

@Bunny

I am going to copy and paste the PM you sent to me and the response back to you so all the other moderators know what is going on with your Valium.

"Please list the Valium, that plays a lot in your meds. Don't switch dosage or time of day you take it and make sure you take it everyday because your body is addicted to it."

"Yes I take it every night to sleep. But if I’m having a day that I have alot of hormonal anxiety. I take it twice a day. It really depends on the day for me. So I would put Valium 10 mg for sleep plus as needed for days of hormonal anxiety. I don’t mind being addicted to it. It really helps me with my rare situation. Thank you frogie 🌷 I’m from Texas. Where are you from?

"I will post this on your page so that the other moderators know what is going on. But you need to take the Valium consistently, especially the one when you have the hormonal anxiety. Your body will get used to that dosage in 2 weeks.

A benzo (Valium) is a brake and you want to keep taking it while you are tapering the gabapentin.

You can always taper off of it after the gabapentin. 

I am from Colorado."

@Bunny

Please update your signature so the Valium is listed. Thanks!

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

@Bunny

I wanted to check in and see how you are doing?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello @Bunny

Sorry to hear you got clobbered with olanzapine.  It blows my mind they would prescribe it for what you described.  You should be able to come back off it safely with some thought and care.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/3743-tips-for-tapering-off-zyprexa-olanzapine

I was able to get off it with a careful taper doing exactly what you're planning - the Brass Monkey slide taper using water titration.  I tried a few approaches but settled on that as the template to complete the taper.

When you are ready, you can read a bit on how I did water titration here.  Later I switched from a pipette to an inexpensive adjustable micro pipette from flea bay, which made things even easier.

You're welcome to have a browse of my intro thread, linked in my signature.

Lots of good resources here, help yourself and of course ask when you need to!

Cheers
Hayduke

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

Thank you @hayduke !! I’m still learning how to use this site. I will have a read on your information soon. :)

40 mg viibryd since 2019

10 mg Valium at bedtime

Hi @Frogieim doing a little better today than yesterday. Feeling some hormonal anxiety from my cycle. I just updated my medications on the link you sent me :) I hope I’m using this the right way :)

40 mg viibryd since 2019

10 mg Valium at bedtime

You’re doing great on here now. I hope you feel better soon.😊

@Frogiethank you so much for showing me the ropes :) you and @ChessieCat have been a great help. Thank you all so much. Now I am more familiar with using this ♥️

40 mg viibryd since 2019

10 mg Valium at bedtime

Hi @Frogie when I post something how do other people see it? Do they have to search for the key words i put in or how does it work so everyone sees what I post? I got a response on my olanzapine post :) so I was wondering how can I make people see my post so someone answers me. I thought I would have gotten a lot of replies with my olanzapine post but so far just one. Thanks frogie. 

40 mg viibryd since 2019

10 mg Valium at bedtime

@Bunny

They will see it if they are following you like I am or if they read the new posts in the introduction part of the main page on the site. Pretty soon you’ll have people posting and talking with you 😊

@Frogie oh okay. Thank you frogie! :)

40 mg viibryd since 2019

10 mg Valium at bedtime

@Bunny

You are welcome!