Jry65: after 16 years on Lexapro

Jry65

I had been on Lexapro about 16 years and am 57 years old.  Tried to quit several times, would taper from 20mg to 10mg to 5mg, then go off.  But had horrible bouts of uncontrolled outbursts due to having a short fuse and wasn't worth being on edge and getting angry easily.

But for the past year, I've been at 5mg.  And would forget to take a pill every few weeks.  That got me thinking that maybe I can quit.  So in mid June I stopped.  And it's been difficult.

I've had lots of sadness, find myself getting irritated quickly and have to really watch myself that I don't react immediately (and have failed a few times, which increases level of sadness due to regret of actions).

I just don't think it's healthy for a person to take this drug for this long.  My brain is probably screwed up now.  But I want to try to fix it the best I can, naturally.

So as I understand it, Lexapro increases serotonin levels, right?  So going off Lexapro would create a shortage of serotonin.   

My question is what about supplementing with Mucuna Pruriens and/or Ashwagandha to help offset this?   Does anyone on here recommend this?

Also,  for a person who has been on Lexapro for 16 years - how long would the withdrawal symptoms typically last?

Thank you so much!

Edited by manymoretodays
moved to Introductions, awaiting approval, added name to title

2004–2015 lexapro 20 mg

2015-2020 lexapro 10mg

2020-2022 lexapro 5 mg

2022 stopped June 15

• manymoretodays changed the title to JRY65: After 16 years on Lexapro
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Jry65: after 16 years on Lexapro

Will the general anxiety and sadness get better?

2004–2015 lexapro 20 mg

2015-2020 lexapro 10mg

2020-2022 lexapro 5 mg

2022 stopped June 15

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  Congratulations for getting off of Lexapro!  That is indeed a major accomplishment.  Are you having any symptoms besides anxiety or sadness?  Any physical symptoms?  How is your sleep, eating, and day to day functioning?  Anxiety and sadness are very common withdrawal symptoms.  

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications, and why it takes so long for these symptoms to resolve.  Your anxiety and sadness that is related to withdrawal will eventually get better, but it will take lots and lots of time.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

You asked about 

On 8/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, Jry65 said:

Mucuna Pruriens and/or Ashwagandha

We don't recommend supplements other than the magnesium and omega 3.  We sometimes suggest melatonin for insomnia.  Our brains are hypersensitive while they are healing from getting off psych meds, and supplements often have unpredictable effects on us.  Here are some threads about that: 

Supplements - What Helps, What Doesn't

As to your question for how long withdrawal can take, it depends upon so many factors: age, how long you've been on the drug, the drug itself, other drugs you've been on, how many times you've gone on and off drugs and changed their dosages, you individual metabolism, your life circumstances, etc.  Instead of taking days and weeks, this will take months, and in some cases, years.  This topic goes into detail about this.  

How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

I've given you quite a bit of information.  Please take your time to read through it, and let us know what you think.  Keep us posted on how you are doing. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Wow, thank you so much.  There is a lot of very valuable information you provided and I sure appreciate it.

Physical symptoms - for a few weeks I got dizzy very easy.  That is mainly passed now.  I get tired at night easier and much earlier than before.   I was also experiencing headaches, still do but they are lessening now.  The waves of anxiety, irritability and sadness are the worst.

2004–2015 lexapro 20 mg

2015-2020 lexapro 10mg

2020-2022 lexapro 5 mg

2022 stopped June 15

• Moderator Emeritus

You're welcome.  I'm glad you took the time to look over it.  It sounds like your withdrawal is not too severe, and is improving.  We have people who can barely eat, sleep, or function.  Just be extremely cautious about going on psych meds in the future, as it tends to become harder and harder to get off the more we go on and off psych meds. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly