SouthernMan: Lexapro withdrawal help

SouthernMan

Good Afternoon, 

I am currently three weeks off Lexapro today and feeling pretty rough. Looking for some positive words of encouragement and help. 

I got sick early August, which spun me into a month and half or so of Health Anxiety, mind you this caused me to loss my appetite, used to sleep good and now its terrible, etc. My sleep is still bad, appetite has been back. CT scans, blood work, urologist, cardioligist, emergency room, etc. All came back clean.

ER doc told me to try Lexapro, 5 Mg, so I did the research and gave it a shot. I have never been depressed and my anxiety has been hit or miss, situationally(big meeting, flying, etc). I went on to take 4 doses between Sept 7th-10th. Hated the way it made me feel. Numb, emotionless, spacy, intrusive thoughts (which I have never had), wake up sweaty and crazy anxiety. Everything I read said it would get worse before better but I could not take it and stopped CT. Didn't think about withdraws, but for the next two weeks had on and off intrusive thoughts, still terrible sleep, etc. After another night of 2 hours of sleep, I said screw it, im going to try it again.

This time I took it for 9 days, and 2.5MG on the 10th day and said Im done, something isnt right and its making me feel 1000% worse. Since then 10/11 was my last dose. i felt fine right after, slept for 7 hours(broken sleep though) the two nights after and felt good the follwoing two days. Then things have slowly crept in. Insomnia, appetite is fine, intrusive thoughts we bad for about 14 days but have subsided, now Im feeling dizzy almost, kind of car sick feeling, off balnace brain fog, DR/DP- but feels like its lifting. two nights ago slept from 9:30 to 2:40, woke up to pee then back aleep until 5:15. Was stoked. woke up feeling pretty good, then just slowly as the day went felt off blance and car sick feeling and would go in and out of that.

Then, right before bed, I was scrolling the web looking up symptoms, etc and came across some stuff that scared me and sent me from feeling calm, 60 resting heart rate to fight or flight engage and only slept for an hour or so last night! I am also waking up middle of the night with heart racing as well, dreaming alot when I do sleep, very clear dreams. Is this normal?

I have NEVER taken medication until now.  Just need some words of encouragement. Im young, 36, was very active, but feel blah now and tired, but cant sleep. How long does this last, any words of advice?

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing
  • ChessieCat changed the title to SouthernMan: Lexapro withdrawal help
  • Administrator

Welcome, @SouthernMan

Did you have covid when you were ill?

It sounds like you had an immediate adverse reaction to escitalopram. These drugs are not suited to everyone. It can take quite a while for your system to very gradually settle down. You've seen some improvement -- your appetite came back -- you will see more.

See Adverse reactions to an antidepressant within a few doses -- how long for recovery?

You can do some things to strengthen your sleep. Have you tried melatonin?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

I had COVID two years ago. 

Melatonin doesn't really help. I have no issues falling asleep, its just waking up 3-4 hours later and then tossing and turning until the alarm. Main symptoms are Brain Fog, off balance, dizzy here and there, sleep issues, and just worrying about how long this will take to get through it. I will ahve a couple hour windows where I feel pretty good and then it slips back into feeling crappy. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please create your drug signature so we can see your drug history at a glance.  This is different from what you provided when you joined the site.  Thank you:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature
Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Edited by ChessieCat
updated instruction link

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 10 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@SouthernMan I received your PM but want to respond here in your intro/update thread. This is where to post to keep all of your information in one place.

In your PM, you asked about exercise. Please see:

Exercise ... Do more, do less, do nothing? What worked for you?

Please add a signature with your drug history. Here is how:

How to Summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature

A direct link to your signature is here:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone reads this, just want to give an update and some hope to those who are suffering. My story is long, and I will write about it when I'm fully healed. But, I just reached a year and im starting to slowly feel better. I had and adverse reaction to four pills(should have never been prescribed), now I know I was going through withdraw for three weeks(didnt know at the time) before i took another 9 pills and things got really bad. IM 37, 6 foot 1, 200 pounds, athlete, non smoker, dont take any drugs, medicine, etc. I got sick, went to the ER and told the doctor I was a little nervous about it and he handed me a lexepro prescription like i was trick or treating. I did the researcha nd decided to take it, so I take full accountablitiy for going through this.  I don't wish what I've gone through on my worst enemy and i didn't even know this was possible. Im not out of the woods, but im much better than I was 6 months ago. Around month 11 I could feel things start getting better. I hate to put a percentage on it, but I would say im around 70% healed. I still have some sleep issues(but getting better), parathesisia in my back(much better), muscle twitches, anhedonia, low moods and depressive feelings (but the depressive thoughts are leaving), nausea is better, etc. I had EVERY symptom you could think of. Just hang in there, I will be back to write a success story when its time, but Im getting better. Ill never trust the medical community, big pharma, food companies, the government, etc ever again. Im thankful to go through this, its absolutely opened my eyes and sent me down rabbit holes I would have never explored. Hang in there, eat healthy, get sunlight, light exercise, etc. We will all heal, just takes time and acceptance. 

• Mentor

@SouthernMan Thank you for updating us and sharing you story! I am happy to hear you are doing much much better!

Yes it does give others encouragement and thank you !

Hang on 💪

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, SouthernMan said:

im much better than I was 6 months ago. Around month 11 I could feel things start getting better. I hate to put a percentage on it, but I would say im around 70% healed. I still have some sleep issues(but getting better), parathesisia in my back(much better), muscle twitches, anhedonia, low moods and depressive feelings (but the depressive thoughts are leaving), nausea is better, etc. I had EVERY symptom you could think of. Just hang in there, I will be back to write a success story when its time, but Im getting better.

Very good to hear this. Thanks for letting us know. We all look forward to your Success Story.

To complete your documentation, please follow these instructions Summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

13 month update:

Things are SLOWLY getting better. Sleep is still hit or miss. Main symptoms right now are:

Buzzing in head/ears

Muscle twitching(comes and goes)

Paresthesia in one spot on my back, but slowly getting better. 

Brain fog, head pressure, squeezing on top of head. 

Nausea/motion sick feeling, slowly getting better, not as intense and doesn't last as long. 

Getting glimpses of feelings/emotion here and there which is nice, but still a ways to go. 

Fatigue, this is one that comes and goes and is bothersome, but its what it is, will get better. Ive read that as the nervous system heals/rebalances, this is pretty common. 

The lack of motivaiton/anhendonia i believe you call it is hit or miss, but still there. But, I will have days, etc. where its much better.

Sleep issues. Last night was fine. Asleep by 9:30, woke up once at 1:15, fell back asleep until 5. i will take that. Its usually 3-4 days of waking 4-5 times, not sleeping past 4 am. Then I will have 2 days or so of one wake up and sleeping until 5-5:30. Seems to be slowly trying to work itself out. Also, dreaming like CRAZY, Vivid dreams, never had before. I presume this is my brain trying to balance. 

All in all, things are slowly improving. I think its imperative to dial in your lifestyle habits, eat correctly, move, get sunlight, etc. i know its tough but any little bit helps. Ive never been a smoker, social drinker yes, but gave up alcohol for good since going through this, always into fitness, etc. 

Still wild to me that after taking 4 pills, stopping for three weeks, then reinstating because I thought I was crazy(yet it was only withdraw, then reinstating again for 9 days i believe, would cause all this turmoil. Wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Its really opened my eyes to how messed up our Health Care/Phamaceutical, along with Processed food industries really are. Ive never had depression, ever prior to this. Anxiety, sure some situational stuff, but nothing like what I've gone through. I take full responsibility for letting the ER Doc suggest I take them due to the stomach virus issue, but never again will i trust the government/big pharma/big food. 

Just want to give everyone struggling hope. Do the small things, time will heal, im not there yet, but getting there. I will continue to update here and there to hopefully give those struggling hope. But, you HAVE to do the little things to heal properly. Whats the point in doing what you did prior to this, which got you in this situation??? I choosing to be postiive and spin this in a way to help others down the road. 

Hang in there!!! 

• Administrator

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so glad to hear that you are recovering from the adverse reaction to Lexapro!  I look forward to your success story someday.  These give other people lots of hope and encouragement.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 1 month later...

Quick Update:

15 months off in 2 days and things continue to trend in the right direction. its 2 steps forward and 1 back type of deal.  I will continue to come back and post to give others hope! I truly believe if you give your body/brain TIME to heal and the proper nutrition, etc, it will heal with time. Im slowly getting better, still a way to go, but things are looking up. The symptoms above are still on and off present but seem to SLOWLY lessening. Hang in there, we will all heal and be better for what we've gone through. Just remember, "Pain to Purpose", beautiful things are coming for all of us! Happy to answer any questions if someone has some! 

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to pop in and give a quick update for those struggling. 

18 months:

Things continue to trend in the right direction. Im pretty much living life, but still have symptoms that come and go. Just try not to focus on them. 

Brain fog and head pressure/squeezing feeling, not near what it was

Sleep is SLOWLY getting better. But im able to fall asleep easier/most nights, getting 6-8 hours of broken sleep. Good nights ill sleep 6-7 hours straight. Bad nights will have vivid dreams/nightmares and wake up 3-5 times. But, is getting better than it was. 

Motion/land sick feeling, comes and goes but no where near what it was, not even close. 

Exercise, still ahve to take it easy, increases the buzzing in my ears/head and messes with my sleep a bit. 

The Fatigue is slowly fading, again, no where near what it was. 

The parathesia spot on my back doesn't come around as much! 

Anxiety/cortisol rush not as bad, but still rears its head. 

Low mood seems to follow if i push it too hard

Negative thoughts not as bad/frequent

The anhedonia/lack of motivation is lifting as well. Keep in mind Im a husband and father of two and the only one who works. I run a big business, so i have had no choice but to keep going. 

I had weird fear of knives, guns, etc, hard to explain, but that's fading and almost gone

The muscle twitching is still here and there, but not as intense. 

Head aches come and go but not near as much and seem to be centered around my sleep or if i do too much phycisal exertion.

Any questions, happy to answer. Just keep trucking. It gets better, everyone heals, just have to let your body heal and be mindful of the fact your brain is hijacked temporality, it's not really your thoughts. Dial in your diet, get sunlight, move as much as you can, put your bare feet on the earth and do what we were designed as humans to do. Hang in there!