SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 September ×

Lexapro taper after 10 years

Maclaughlinj

Hello,

I’m new to this. 
I’m currently tapering off Lexapro after being on it consistently for ten years. Around 3 years ago I noticed it no longer had the same affect and I was becoming increasingly anxious. 
I have been on 30mg of Lexapro, at the beginning of the month I began to follow the direction of my psychiatrist by reducing my dose by 5mg every 5 days. I have gone okay and I am still going okay, despite some episodes of panic throughout the day. 
I have only just found out about tapering off by 10%. 
I was prescribed Clonazepam to assist with withdrawal symptoms but I really do not want to take a benzodiazepine to assist, particularly when they are addictive in nature. 

Any advice would be great. 

Thank you 💕

Edited by Frogie
took out real name in 1st paragraph

@Maclaughlinj

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychiatric medications or have tapered off and are now healing. 

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

I'm sorry to hear about the panic you are having, but that can be normal for tapering way too fast. Unfortunately most dr's know very little about these drugs and the implications they cause by not tapering properly. 

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

At this time, I would hold on your taper and allow your body to stabilize. Then resume tapering after you feel WD normal as explained in the link below.

Stabilising After a Reduction - What Does That Mean?

Withdrawal Normal Description

Waves and Windows in SSRI Withdrawal

You are smart for not wanting to start the Clonazepam as our bodies become dependent on it in just a couple of weeks. If you can do your taper without the Clonazepam that would be wonderful for you.

We don't suggest a lot of supplements on here as they can be stimulating to the central nervous system (CNS), except 2. If you would like to try one, try a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

After you have read the links provided, please reach out with any questions you may have.

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper. Last dose June 24, 2024

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.