Yichin: Newbie with lots of questions

Yichin

Hi all. I hope you can help. I weaned from 40 mg of Prozac over 3 months. 4 months later I started having palpitations. 5 months later nausea and tremendous anxiety started very suddenly. I have NEVER felt this way. On verge of hospitalization but they gave me Ativan. Had to restart Prozac 20 mg. 1 week later a little better, 2 weeks later slightly better. Still horrendous anxiety and depression. Nausea and palpitations stopped when meds restarted. Ativan makes me better but if I don’t take it the next day, I think I’m worse again. Can’t function. 1. Withdrawal or relapse? 2. Do I take the Ativan? 3 what can I do to get better? I stopped coffee. I don’t drink. I exercise. I have a supportive family. 4. I’m seeing a new psychiatrist who will probably give me more meds. Do I start them? 5. I thought 20 mg of Prozac would eliminate the symptoms but it hasn’t. Should I go up on the dose? Will that help. I have gone from a thriving, loving person to being completely incapacitated in the course of 1 month. 

2014 -2022 Prozac 40mg intermittently x3 

2022 Aug- Nov three month taper to 0

2023 April severe withdrawal

2023 May 5 doses of Ativan over two weeks

2023 May reinstate 20 mg prozac

2024 April 20 mg to 19.5 mg back to 20 mg

Hi @Yichin

welcome to SA. Before we can answer your questions can you pls fill in your drug signature like shown below? 

It will help us help you better and provide more useful advice. 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Shep changed the title to Yichin: Newbie with lots of questions

In retrospect when I was started on Prozac, it was to treat mild anxiety. There were situational life stressors, breakup, exams, etc. I am a high achiever and maybe more anxious than most but really not outside of normal. Now I’m in hell. I can’t function. I do have periods in the afternoon when I feel normal. After reinstating the Prozac at 20 mg, (4 weeks ago)I thought I felt better but in retrospect it was because I also took Ativan. The day after Ativan was horrific and I never took it again. I saw 2 psychiatrist and they both advised going up on Prozac. Said I would probably need 60 mg. Both said also okay to hold at 20 mg. 
1. Is this withdrawal or underlying disease? I have had palpitations, nausea, diarrhea, shaking, muscle twitching, severe fatigue, first time ever to have depression but no brain zaps and is severe 2. Can the timeline still fit? One psychiatrist said no and said Prozac does not cause delayed withdrawal and said “ why would I want to come off?” 3. Is there anything about my case scenario that is positive? Something I can hang my hat on? 4. What should I do with the Prozac dose based on your experience? Reinstatement of the 20 mg has not helped after 4 weeks. 5. Can cbt help when I am still so sick? 6 can I ever better? 7. Can I stabilize my nervous system with a low dose of something? 8. I don’t understand waves and windows. I am horrific in the morning and better in the afternoon. But the psychiatrist says that is true for all anxiety. So am I actually experiencing withdrawal? Thank you so much for your help. I am so grateful for this site and for any help you can offer. I can’t believe this is happening.

Hi @Yichin

lots of questions and I will try to answer each one by one. Thanks for creating your drug signature. 

5 hours ago, Yichin said:

In retrospect when I was started on Prozac, it was to treat mild anxiety. There were situational life stressors, breakup, exams, etc. I am a high achiever and maybe more anxious than most but really not outside of normal. Now I’m in hell. I can’t function. I do have periods in the afternoon when I feel normal. After reinstating the Prozac at 20 mg, (4 weeks ago)I thought I felt better but in retrospect it was because I also took Ativan. The day after Ativan was horrific and I never took it again. I saw 2 psychiatrist and they both advised going up on Prozac. Said I would probably need 60 mg. Both said also okay to hold at 20 mg. 
1. Is this withdrawal or underlying disease? I have had palpitations, nausea, diarrhea, shaking, muscle twitching, severe fatigue, first time ever to have depression but no brain zaps and is severe

This could be withdrawal. Prozac has a very long half life so it doesn't get out of your body for more than a month. Delayed withdrawal is not uncommon - usually about around 3months from normal drugs but with Prozac's long half life it would be more. 

2. Can the timeline still fit? One psychiatrist said no and said Prozac does not cause delayed withdrawal and said “ why would I want to come off?”

Yes. Most psychiatrists think of withdrawal as the drug coming out of your body. We find that withdrawal symptoms occur not only because the drug is missing but also because the body has to readjust to the new status quo - create a new homeostasis - upregulate receptors that were downregulated because of being flooded with extra serotonin, make changes to other hormones, receptors, genes etc. This process goes on for years - some people took more than a decade to recover but a couple of years is more common if you have withdrawal symptoms. 

3. Is there anything about my case scenario that is positive?

Your case is not unusual at all. Your nervous system will slowly heal if you don't bombard it with more medicines or other psychoactive substances - alcohol, pot, drugs - prescribed and not prescribed. 

4. What should I do with the Prozac dose based on your experience? Reinstatement of the 20 mg has not helped after 4 weeks.

We usually recommend a smaller reinstatement - 1 mg. The current dose will not reach a steady state in your body for over a month. When exactly did you reinstate prozac? Can you keep a daily journal of symptoms as here so we can see if it helps or not?  Here is how to do it. Post your symptoms as a new post every day. 

5. Can cbt help when I am still so sick?

Yes, anything that helps you manage your strong emotional symptoms will help. 

6 can I ever better?

Yes. People people slowly. 

7. Can I stabilize my nervous system with a low dose of something?

We are not doctors and do not recommend drugs, we help people come off of drugs without harm. We find that, often, introducing other psychoactive drugs can make people worse because of kindling. 

8. I don’t understand waves and windows. I am horrific in the morning and better in the afternoon.

But the psychiatrist says that is true for all anxiety.

Have a read here. The psychiatrist is who got you into this situation, s/he is unlikely to admit that s/he did wrong. Diurnal variation of mood is not abnormal and it is usually due to the variation of cortisol in the body. 

So am I actually experiencing withdrawal? Thank you so much for your help. I am so grateful for this site and for any help you can offer. I can’t believe this is happening.

Yes. 

Please spend some time in the Symptoms and Self Care forum to learn various ways for managing your symptoms. 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

• 1 month later...

@Onmyway thank you so much for responding. I really appreciate it and hope you are improving. After I started the 20 mg of Prozac ( at the time, I didn’t know that I should have started 1 mg only) I did improve a lot. The severe SI is gone, the severe shaking in the morning resolved, the dread is better, the palpitations calmed down. I am still shaking in my sleep.  I am still not really functional. Anything on my calendar is stressful. I am supposed to start a new job in a few months and don’t know if I should pass up this opportunity or if I will be well enough to work. Any thoughts on that? It’s also really unclear to me when I will be able to wean again. Do you have any thoughts on that? Should I stay on this dose until I’m functional? After a severe bout of withdrawal, do most people need a year before they can wean again? Most people in my situation would have been hospitalized but my parent and spouse stayed by my side 24/7. They were convinced it was withdrawal and didn’t want more drugs added. I am doing everything I can think of for self care: therapy, exercise, spending time with friends. Thank you so much for listening. Will I eventually get better or am I damaged forever? I can’t believe this is happening. 

@Yichin

You will know when you're ready to wean again but I'd wait for at least 6 months.  

You will get better.

You may feel better and able to attend the conference next month. NObody can predict exact symptoms,  however. 

OMW

• 1 month later...

So I made a mistake. After a taper that was too fast and the development of severe symptoms, I reinstated at half my dose. This happened before I knew about this site. That was 3 months ago. Things did improve. But I think I overstimulated my nervous system and now all I do is sleep. Only drug is Prozac 20 mg. No supplements. No alcohol. No caffeine. So now what? Should I try to decrease by 1 percent per month? Can I even measure that? Did I make things worse? Do I hold? For years until I’m better? Any change I make shows up months later. Please help. 

Update: beginning month 4. No more SI. No nausea. Normal appetite. Rare palpitations. No shaking in the day. No severe differences between morning and evening. Still present: nightmares, brief shaking at night, severe anxiety that impedes functioning, in bed 12-16 hours, can’t make it through the day without naps. I am able to exercise most days. I try to see friends. I’m not going to be able to start my new job. Don’t know what I will do with my days. Wondering if I should wean even tiny amounts rather than letting this poison continue to destroy my brain. Still question if I can get better when I’m still on 20 mg Prozac. Wondering if not challenging the nervous system with stress ie not working is actually worse not better. When I try to write a new message, it asks for TO: How do just send a message to the community? Am I doing something wrong? 

• Administrator

Hello again, @Yichin

What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages? 

On 8/9/2023 at 1:37 AM, Yichin said:

Still present: nightmares, brief shaking at night, severe anxiety that impedes functioning

When do these symptoms occur?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you so much for responding!! And for everything you’ve done. I’m on Prozac 20 mg. Weaned from 40 mg over 3 months and had to reinstate. Didn’t know to reinstate 1 mg so on 20 mg. I take the medicine at 9 am. Nightmare and shaking occurs at around 5 am. I’ve blacked out my windows which helps. The severe anxiety is all the time. I don’t want to make a single decision. I’m anxious if I  have the most trivial matter on my to do list like talking to a friend or seeing my therapist. I am highly educated and was supposed to start my first job. I can’t. 

• Administrator

How do you feel before and after you take 20mg Prozac at 9 a.m.? When is the anxiety worst?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Month 5 since severe withdrawal and reinstatement of 20 mg Prozac. Month 10 since too rapid taper. 

gone: no SI, no severe morning dread, no shaking in the day, no shaking with nightmares in the night, no facial twitching, no crying spells

current: motivation improving. Functioning improved-cooking dinner, cleaning house. Sleeping improved ( not sleeping all day) Still not working. Not sure if I can focus yet. Still sadder than usual and still more anxious. Palpitations, bradycardia and chest discomfort persist ( I’m very young) 

Can I start weaning?

I was going to start with microtaper of 5 percent every 6 weeks. I’m worried about my heart. Really want to successfully come off the poison. So grateful for this site. clearly psychiatrist was wrong since I am improving without increasing the dose. 

Hello @Yichin,  welcome to this support site. Good that you came to this website. There is a lot of knowledge to be found and shared here. Also the members can support each other here.

You seem to have made a good decision not to go up in dosage as your psychiatrist suggested. 

Since you tapered off extremely fast in 2022 and stopped (cold turkey?) in November 2022, it is quite common that after a period of 3-5 months a Big Bang follows with heavy withdrawal (WD) symptoms. This is what most probably happened to you. In such cases (you are one of many) we often suggest to reinstate a small dosage like 1-2 mg to help stabilising. And after being stable one can start tapering this small dosage.

You reinstated a quite high dosage of 20mg. Sometimes reinstating too high dosages can create "kindling". That means that the nervous system has become so sensitised that it may react extremely to every dosage change (up or down) and also to other medications.

Looking at how you describe your current situation, I get the feeling that you may be lucky. You do have symptoms but not too severe, compared with many others in a similar situation.

Heart palpitations are quite common as withdrawal symptom. Still we always advise to have your heart checked. Probably everything will be ok, but better sure to know. Always have your blood pressure checked. This can also go up due to withdrawal. Also that will go most often by itself again after a while. Better do not take blood pressure medication (unless dangerously high blood pressure). It will go by itself nearly always, when it is caused by withdrawal. 

Over time the palpitations will go away and they can come back as well before they go again and so on. This is how healing from withdrawal works.

Here is important info to read about the process of healing:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/23081-are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take/?tab=comments#comment-492493

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

When you feel that you are more or less stable (that can still be while having light symptoms) you could start to wean off carefully. Your idea of starting with 5% every 6 weeks sounds very safe. If you would feel better and better after a few months you might try to speed it up to 10% per4-6 weeks. 

Main thing is: keep listening to your body. When everything feels quite OK you can continue tapering. When WD symptoms increase or would become too extreme it is time to hold for a in order to stabilise.

1993    Anafranil (Clomipramine) for a few months. Later in 1993 Paxil for a few months 1993- 2006      No medication

2006   Effexor, Cymbalta, some Benzo’s. All for short periods. Later in 2006 Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg and shortly after Wellbutrin XR 150mg, against side effects Lexapro 

Since 2006 until end of 2015: Several times on and off Lexapro and Wellbutrin and several slight dosage changes. Mostly taken dosages: 5mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin

2016  Dosage change Lexapro from 5mg to 2,5 mg. Wellbutrin stayed om 150mg

November 2016 – April 2017 Down from 2,5mg to 0,6mg Lexapro (in steps) without much problems. Wellbutrin down from 150mg to 66mg. Also without much problems.

April 2017 – March 2019       Lexapro 0,6 mg        April 2017 - August 2018       Wellbutrin in small steps down from 66mg in to 37,5 mg . Quite heavy WD after each step.

March 2019 – May 2019 Lexapro down from 0,6 to 0,3mg then Prozac to 0,6 mg switch because severe discontinuation effects (may also have been from Wellbutrin..)    

Wellbutrin down from 37,5mg to 35,3mg 

October 2019        Seroquel 12,5 mg for 4 weeks because of extreme sleeping problems, then weaning off in 2 weeks       Prozac up dosage to 1,2 mg

March 2020     Wellbutrin in 2 steps down from 35,3mg to 33,3mg   Extreme withdrawal effects during 8 months. Stopped tapering Wellbutrin  until total off Prozac. 

February 2020 – November 2020   Prozac down in steps from 1,2mg to 0,57mg. 

Jan 2021  Prozac down to:  0,55> 0,53>0,51mg,   Feb 0,47mg ,  Mar 0,42mg,   Apr 0,37, longer hold because of WD symptoms July 0,36 and hold again, Sept 19 0,35, Sept 26 0,34mg, Oct 3 0,33mg  Long hold of 172 days until March 2022

January 20, 2022:  Wellbutrin from 33,3 to 32,4mg

March 22, 2022 Prozac down from 0,33mg to: 0,30mg, Apr 0,29, May 0,28, 0,27, June 0,26, 0,25, July 0,24, 0,23, 0,22, 0,21, Aug 0,20, 0,19 Sep 0,18, Oct 0,17. 0,16, 0,15, Nov 0,14  Jan 2023 0,13, 0,12, 0,11  Feb 0,10, 0,09 Mar 0,08 ,  June 0,07 , July 0,06,  0,05, Aug 0,04, 0,03, Sept 0,026, 0,024 Nov 0,022, 0,019, 0,016, 0,013 Dec 0,012, 0,011, 0,010, 0,009   Jan 2024 0,008, 0,007,  0,006,  0,005, 0,004, 0,003, 0,002, 0,001, Feb  0,0007.  0,0005,   0,0003, 0,0001,  

Feb 23, 2024:  0,00000

Wellbutrin resume tapering: Apr 2024 31,6mg, 30,8, 30,0 , May 29,1, 28,2

Supplements: Fish Oil (3000mg), Magnesium 100 mg, 2 drops of Lavender Oil, only when feeling extreme anxiety. 50mg of L-Theanine only when severe discontinuation effects caused by Wellbutrin

Please note this is NOT a medical advice. Discuss all your medical issues with a doctor who understands psychical drugs and really knows how to withdraw from them. I wish that you will find one.

@Yichin, please remember that you only get one introduction topic where you post all of you progress. Please do not start any new threads. This is important because it makes us waste time on merging topics and also because if we don't realize that you had a different topic your history gets all messed up and we may, in the future, unknowingly provide advice that is not suitable to your situation.

In this case @Go2zerohad to spend a lot of time to welcome you again without knowing that you already had a thread and had been given the relevant info before. We have lots of members and are few volunteers who need to take care of them. Please do not take this for granted and create extra work. 

Having said that, it is great that you are feeling better on your 20mg reinstatement. I would wait another few months before starting to taper again. Prozac is not known to cause heart issues so staying on it does not threaten your heart in any way and is not a reason to rush. The palpitations are caused by autonomic nervous system (ANS) dysregulation and are most likely caused by the withdrawal. As @Go2zeroadvised, if you are worried you should get your heart checked - destabilizing your ANS can result in some heart issues though it is not common. How are your iron and B12 levels - could you also have anemia? Did the heart issues start with the reinstatement or were they there all along from the beginning of withdrawal? 

What are your palpitations like?

1) faster heartbeat? (seems like slower?)

2) louder heartbeat? 

3) irregular heartbeat? 

Pls consult with a heart specialist if you are worried and do not assume it is just withdrawal. 

OMW

Edited by Onmyway

• Administrator
On 8/31/2023 at 4:50 AM, Yichin said:

current: motivation improving. Functioning improved-cooking dinner, cleaning house. Sleeping improved ( not sleeping all day) Still not working. Not sure if I can focus yet. Still sadder than usual and still more anxious. Palpitations, bradycardia and chest discomfort persist ( I’m very young) 

Good to hear you're stabilizing. I agree with @Onmyway  How have the cardio symptoms changed over the last 2 months?

• 3 weeks later...

@Onmyway @Altostrata i apologize for starting a new thread. It was not intentional. I’m trying to figure out how this works. Thank you for all of the help. I think my progress is 2 steps forward 1 step back.   Palpitations have improved but insomnia is terrible, motivation still poor. Still can’t function. Still not at my high functioning self.  Could I ask about my sibling who has learned from me and is now weaning venlafaxine after 2.5 years? They do not take the XR version and only take it once per day. They have dropped from 37.5 to 25 mg in last 4 months. They tried to split the dose but could not sleep. They have headaches, nausea and dizziness  which is all worse in the morning. Because they have underlying fibromyalgia, we don’t know if symptoms are fibromyalgia, withdrawal or side effects of the drug. She’s holding at 25 for next month to see if we can sort out if symptoms are before or after medicine but I’m worried that with short half life, they might be withdrawing every day. I am so very sorry if I posted this in wrong place!!! And definitely don’t want extra work for anyone. I am so thankful! 

• Administrator

Please describe your sleep pattern. 

3 hours ago, Yichin said:

They do not take the XR version and only take it once per day. They have dropped from 37.5 to 25 mg in last 4 months. They tried to split the dose but could not sleep. They have headaches, nausea and dizziness  which is all worse in the morning.

If those symptoms started after your sibling reduce the dose, they're probably withdrawal symptoms.

@Yichin please have your sibling start a case for themselves here as well when we open up. The pattern 'of worse in the morning' suggests to me withdrawal. 

They should dose multiple times a day, otherwise they're risking making this much harder by creating a hypersensitivity.  Look up 'kindling' in the Symptoms forum.

Omw

Edited by Onmyway

• 3 weeks later...

@Onmyway @Altostrata hello. Please let me know if I posted in the right place and if not please let me know what the steps should have been. I found this by going to my activity and then content I started and then hitting reply. Is that right? I’m writing because I am doing very poorly. Do we know what helps cognitive recovery? Should I rest? Should I read? Which is better? I feel like I’m making no progress at all. Does everyone eventually recover? Could changes be permanent? I’m on 20 mg of Prozac. Should I increase dose and then once stable wean slowly? Would that hasten recovery? I still can’t function. I sleep 16 hours per day. I struggle to do anything else. Thank you for your help. 

• Administrator

Hello, @Yichin

You have posted in your Introductions topic, which is the right place for your question.

What is your current symptom pattern? How's your sleep?

@Altostrata i sleep 10 hours. It’s light sleep. Sometimes I have nightmares. I get up take my medicine, eat breakfast and go back to bed and sleep 2 hours. I get up and sometimes nap again. I eat dinner. I take an evening walk. I was exercising more. Now I’m not. I was reading, even finished a book. Now I can’t. I try to see friends sometimes. They can’t tell anything is wrong. You’d never guess. 

• Administrator

What are your current symptoms that are most troublesome?

@Altostrata worst symptom is the cognitive problems, the inability to work. 

• Administrator

Please describe the cognitive problem. Is it better or worse after you take Prozac? Is it better or worse than it was in April? How does it interfere with your ability to work? What are you doing for exercise?

@AltostrataA month ago, I was strength training, now walking only. I am unable to learn and retain information. It does not seem to be anxiety related, it seems to be cognitive impairment. It seems to be getting worse. I can’t work. It’s all the time. I don’t think it’s related to the time I take the Prozac. Should I increase the dose again before taping later, the way Addox did? 

• Administrator

You are experiencing very typical antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, which includes inability to concentrate. See What is withdrawal syndrome? 

It also could be that 20mg Prozac is now too strong for you and you are experiencing an adverse effect of the drug.

Do you have any symptoms other than inability to concentrate and poor stamina? If not, you could probably work, at least part-time.

@Altostratahi. I don’t think I can work. My resolved symptoms: nausea, palpitations, body shaking, tremendous AM dread, suicidal ideation, muscle twitching, crying spells. Current symptoms: sleep problems-primarily tremendous fatigue rather than insomnia. Cognitive problems- more than poor concentration, it’s a severe problem of willpower and tenacity, something I never ever had a problem with before. I was functioning at a phenomenal level before all of this started. anxiety present but not as bad. Are you saying that maybe I should decrease the dose then? Could this improve the fatigue? It’s been 6 months since onset of severe withdrawal and 11 months since stopping too rapidly. Thank you so much for answering so many questions. 

• Administrator

How do you feel before you take Prozac, compared to how you feel after taking Prozac each day?

Nobody seems to like withdrawal syndrome. Being able to sleep is fortunate, many people have a grueling withdrawal insomnia for months. You will need to allow withdrawal syndrome to gradually go away. If I were you, I would not be trying to figure out ways to rush it.

Taking up regular activities as much as you are able can assist recovery.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you’re doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. @Altostrata @Onmyway I am having severe symptoms. Severe anxiety, panic attack, depression. I feel worthless. Can’t do anything. Cant think Can’t even watch tv. Just laying in bed. I shake at night. Insomnia is terrible. I can never rest. Not exercising. I’m 6 months into hell and still holding Prozac at 20 mg. I don’t drink. No drugs. Im taking 100 mg Mg. Could decaf coffee cause this? Should I stop the Mg? Is it too late to try to increase the Prozac dose a little? I have made no progress in last 4 months. It feels like im getting worse. Does this predict a long haul of withdrawal? Does it get worse before it gets better? We need a patient registry and epidemiological data but perhaps your experience can help answer some of these questions. Im still totally un functional. My symptoms don’t seem to change before or after taking medicine. Thank you so much. 

Hi @Yichin

seems like this is a wave. I am still having a hard time believing this pattern but it happens to me as well - I will have random waves of bad symptoms and then just as suddenly (in my case) they will go away. 

Have you read the "What is Happening in your brain post" - it can be quite helpful. 

Hang in there. Updosing this far out can destabilize things further. You may wish to increase your dose of magnesium but don't take it all at the same time. 

Sorry to hear you are suffering :(

OMW

PS. Consider reporting these to the FDA adverse drug reaction reporting system. That will eventually create a registry of a sort. 

• Administrator

@Yichin How do you feel before you take Prozac, compared to how you feel after taking Prozac each day?

• 4 weeks later...

@Altostrata @Onmyway Thank you. Thank you. For this website. For supporting people. For encouraging me not to go up on the dose further. For answering my questions. 

1 year since rapid taper. 7 months since hell and too high a reinstatement ( 20 mg) I am starting to feel better. I can work 2-4 hours per day but I’m still exhausted. Altostrata asked how I felt before and after taking Prozac. I wake up and take it at 9 or 10. I go back to sleep for a few more hours. I start to feel more awake at 4ish.

Are you asking this question because I should take it at a different time? 

Also, I am going to have to harvest my eggs before I am done weaning ( still holding the dose at 20 so many years to go) Do you have any information about this? How long do you think I should hold the dose before the harvest? I am thinking I will need to do natural IVF ( less hormones) and harvest with local anesthesia only. Appreciate you sharing any information you might have even if anecdotal only.  I am wishing everyone a better holiday season and hoping our collective suffering will improve for everyone soon. 

• Administrator

If Prozac makes you sleepy or tired, perhaps you would be better off if you took it in the evening, by moving it an hour later each day.

3 hours ago, Yichin said:

Also, I am going to have to harvest my eggs before I am done weaning ( still holding the dose at 20 so many years to go) Do you have any information about this?

Sorry, we don't have any experts in reproductive gynecology here. If you need to take drugs for this procedure, you should not make changes in your psychiatric drugs at the same time.

On 11/21/2023 at 9:02 PM, Yichin said:

Also, I am going to have to harvest my eggs before I am done weaning ( still holding the dose at 20 so many years to go) Do you have any information about this? How long do you think I should hold the dose before the harvest? I am thinking I will need to do natural IVF ( less hormones) and harvest with local anesthesia only. Appreciate you sharing any information you might have even if anecdotal only.  I am wishing everyone a better holiday season and hoping our collective suffering will improve for everyone soon. 

@Yichin - first off, have a look into the literature on egg freezing (if that is what you are doing). The actual success of it is much lower than what is being sold, there are no regulations about what are the right methods etc. or help to understand what the clinics are offering or the individual clinic success rates. Moreover, the safety of the procedure for the babies itself is not clear - there are two old studies from Italy based on older methods. I think you should do the research and make sure you are satisfied with the scientific part of it rather than just the marketing hype. Consider (compare to) embryo freezing if you want more security. I remember that the success of egg freezing in your 20s (from donor eggs) is less than 30% which is similar to people in their late 30s having fresh IVF - I think some clinics can get 25% success rate for IVF in early 40s as well but remember that you may not even need IVF at all. If you are in the US you can look up the SART stats - I think the top clinics are CCRM in CO  and one is Seattle - compare their donor frozen egg stats (come from young people) to their IVF stats in older people. But beware - this is very much a business and you will be paying through the nose for years to come (storage costs of $1000/yr +) Some people do have babies with frozen eggs but not as many as you think!

Also, if you do "fertility tests" like FSH and AMH, note that the literature shows that AMH can impact your response to IVF stimulation but is not an indicator of your natural fertility -  people with low AMH often do get pregnant naturally even though ovarian reserve testing has been hyped and sold to women of reproductive age to cause them to panic and do egg freezing.  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36460524/

Regarding the drug regimes - you usually take birth control pills which can impact mood in withdrawal (and outside of withdrawal), then depending on the protocol you may take combination of the following drugs:

1) lupron (or similar) to suppress the ovaries which can have an impact on mood

2) gonadotropins - pure FSH or menopur (FSH+LH), most people tolerate this quite well, some physical discomfort

3) GNRH antagonists - cetrotide/ganirelix to prevent premature ovulation 

4) HCG to stimulate ovulation

Most people do not respond to these drugs in terms of mood except for 1).  But experiences vary. You may wish to ask on IVF support groups. 

The real mood impacting drug (without withdrawal) seems to be the progesterone you get when you have an embryo transfer if you are doing full IVF.  But that should not be an issue if you are just doing egg/embryo freezing.

Good luck whatever you decide to do and take care of yourself. 

OMW

Edited by Onmyway

• 4 weeks later...

@Onmyway @Altostrata Hi. Have people in withdrawal had problems with taking paxlovid for Covid? Any information on this?

• Administrator

Please use site search to find relevant discussions.

Please do not tag me any more, I'm stepping back from daily participation.